Waves Central

osa

Hello Post Folks, I recently bought some waves plugins and it had been a while. I was bummed to find out after purchase they dropped ilok. curious to know if anyone here might help me understand waves central in that i see a way that you might be able to put "assets" on a thumb drive and basically make a 2nd ilok to swap between computers? i already moved a plugin once from one computer to another and i didnt realize this might have been a mistake as it says i cant move it again for a year, if i understand correctly? I cant make sense of how this works for some reason. they have their own language about license asset management that is confusing me

-Ken

After changing computers and macOS versions my Waves would no longer work in Pro Tools, even though I was still using the iLok that authorized them. 

I discovered that now different vintages of Waves have different installs and they don't seem to like each other. I finally got the earlier Waves working, but after I tried to repair the install for the newer ones, then neither worked. 

I can only imagine how convoluted it would be to attempt to make them portable. 

I came up with what I consider a really good solution -- I deleted all Waves plugins and supporting Waves programs from my machine! 

My McDSP plugins are substantially better anyway. 

2 hours ago, John Blankenship said:

After changing computers and macOS versions my Waves would no longer work in Pro Tools

ugh... i am reminded of complaining online about the waves update plan circa '03 "subscriptions are for magazines not sw" and now subscriptions are all the rage.

thats a bummer about your plugins

Ugh!  This whole circle-jerk among computer manufacturers, plug-in designers and DAWs has got to end!  It is just a circular money grab and just SO uncool.

D.

PS.  I think the "upgrade path" is for suckers.  If you have a setup that works, don't mess with it.

8 minutes ago, tourtelot said:

Ugh!  This whole circle-jerk among computer manufacturers, plug-in designers and DAWs has got to end!  It is just a circular money grab and just SO uncool.

D.

PS.  I think the "upgrade path" is for suckers.  If you have a setup that works, don't mess with it.

i do agree big time. i was on mac os 10.8 for what felt like 10 years and now i am on mojave with complete refusal to install catalina. jeez do they try hard to make you update it is a daily battle. i too stick with what works with white knuckles. so far these waves plugs in 10.14 are solid. i just want to be able to swap computers without waves locking me into "you cant move these assets for a year". i have a ticket into customer support and waiting for updates. i know i will screw this up on my own

1 hour ago, TVPostSound said:

You can put Waves authorization on their "cloud", and use them on any computer one at a time, log into waves central, and authorize, then deauthorize.

or save the authorization to a USB stick. (My method)

https://www.waves.com/support/tag/waves-central

thank you i will check this out - the usb stick for sure. the authorizing and deauthorizing is what confuses me. 1x particular plugin i did this with i got a warning about not being able to do this again for a year. was i mistaken and this might apply to something else?

i have a waves tech support ticket asking about this particular question above as well as what happens when usb stick becomes unreadable/lost/etc like a zero downtime type thing.