bag drop

newzhack

1 hour ago, Rob Beal said:

Good point, I already have an old Decimator Quad box kicking around, so i could easily stick that at video village. A bigger challenge with that would be fitting a larger monitor in my current cart setup (right now I use a triple 5" monitor device that takes up 2 rack spaces). But that might be an easier fix since I'm already pulling wireless racks out of my cart to remote onto set, so cart space will be freed up.

Good thing we still have plenty of hiatus time to figure out how to retool our carts!

I have seen big monitor screens that fold away and only take up one rack space! its very expensive tho last i checked. 

Yeah I have one. Datavideo makes the best one for us. 17” seems pretty huge! A friend calls it the IMAX.  Not crazy heavy or super deep. It was about $1300. TLM-170 something or another. 

for me it was worth it as it allowed for more rack space for everything else in a smaller rack. 

27 minutes ago, Derek H said:

Yeah I have one. Datavideo makes the best one for us. 17” seems pretty huge! A friend calls it the IMAX.  Not crazy heavy or super deep. It was about $1300. TLM-170 something or another. 

for me it was worth it as it allowed for more rack space for everything else in a smaller rack. 

Brilliant. Looks like a great option.

4 hours ago, Derek H said:

Yes, I had that one. Still found it too heavy. Also mine was only HD ready and I couldn’t properly watch some video feeds. Could solve that withca converter box, but it added to the list if reasons why I didn’t want it anymore. 
Still, it was big...

12 hours ago, Vincent R. said:

Licence and actual proprietary hardware (Broadway, Brooklyn, Ultimo chips, etc). The "bottom end" Behringer Dante card costs about 500 USD (Brooklyn based, I believe), so that is some kind of giveaway how low it can go, since Behringer has affordable in their DNA.

Wonder what is the split in costs of licensing vs proprietary hardware, as if it goes super mainstream (even kids in their home studio using DANTE) then perhaps the volume of sales could see hardware costs drop quite far.

2 hours ago, Patrick Farrell said:

Once Dante AV gains more adoption you could send your mix to Video Assist and bring back the camera feeds over the same cat5.

For a one stop solution this would be great. on the other hand, NDI is an open standard. No licencing fees or proprietary hardware needed.

• 1 month later...

I worked my first shoot since March last Thursday and Friday. It was a little stressful setting up the bag and an antenna. I ran two Sennheiser 6042 receivers all day on two Lion NP-1 batteries. I set the bag up outside the rooms that were being used. I was able to set up about 50 feet away next to craft services.

I ran the transmitters at 10 Milli watt because they were on 15 feet away and it worked great. I can say I am sold on the concept.

After countless arrangements in the drop bag I finally decided to have another one for Comtek, boom return, and wireless hops to camera. It just got too crowded in the bag to try and do it all.

I think these LYX pro are the best for the job and ended up being the cheapest. The ones with pigtails just seem to fill up the bag with excess cable. My receivers already have XLR connectors on my 5 pin outs.

As far as cat 5 cable, I have ordered two more 50 foot "SoundTools SuperCAT". I like this cable over the others, it is a bit bigger but lays flat and is easy to lay out. The cheaper cable kinked up when I first unrolled it, I was a little concerned about it's integrity after that. It was also harder to coil.

Both cables had to be carefully untwisted. I did it in the front yard with the sun shining and using pretty large loops the 100 foot cables were manageable.

I am still trying to figure out how I am going to remote the feeds back to set (Comtek, etc.) but I will be working this way in the future if possible. I am still trying to figure out how to do this when I need to grab a bag and go.

Screen Shot 2020-06-22 at 6.44.57 PM.png

IMG_1373.JPG

IMG_1374.JPG

IMG_1375.JPG

36 minutes ago, newzhack said:

I was able to set up about 50 feet away next to craft services.

I think these LYX pro are the best for the job and ended up being the cheapest.

Seems like a great solution for us non Dante folks.  Inquiring stomachs want to know though, what's the crafty setup these days on set...

I was able to eat all the packages of mini Oreo's and drink all the Starbucks coffee in peace while the rest of them sweated bullets.

From where I sit, I think Dante is overkill. Most of the time I can get buy with 4 channels of receive and one cable.

5 hours ago, newzhack said:

After countless arrangements in the drop bag I finally decided to have another one for Comtek, boom return, and wireless hops to camera. It just got too crowded in the bag to try and do it all.

I think these LYX pro are the best for the job and ended up being the cheapest. The ones with pigtails just seem to fill up the bag with excess cable. My receivers already have XLR connectors on my 5 pin outs.

As far as cat 5 cable, I have ordered two more 50 foot "SoundTools SuperCAT". I like this cable over the others, it is a bit bigger but lays flat and is easy to lay out. The cheaper cable kinked up when I first unrolled it, I was a little concerned about it's integrity after that. It was also harder to coil.

Both cables had to be carefully untwisted. I did it in the front yard with the sun shining and using pretty large loops the 100 foot cables were manageable.

I am still trying to figure out how I am going to remote the feeds back to set (Comtek, etc.) but I will be working this way in the future if possible. I am still trying to figure out how to do this when I need to grab a bag and go.

Screen Shot 2020-06-22 at 6.44.57 PM.png

Cheers for sharing your workflow! Been considering something like this for a project later this year I've got which needs remote recording on a couple of other locations simultaneously. 
https://www.lyxpro.com/products/lyxpro-4-channel-3-pin-xlr-multi-network-breakout-for-stage-recording-studio-xlr-male-and-female-to-rj45-ethercon
That's a very affordable price! 
Any negatives to this? No impact on audio quality??

Would like to be able to send one or two channels of audio back up that same CAT cable, if you know of any easy/affordable solutions here. 
Interestingly, in the Amazon Q&A they say:
"The boxes are passive so they will work in either direction. Male XLR to Male XLR should work great. " 
Sounds like it should work in reverse! Could you give it a try for us to send audio in both directions at once?

6 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Cheers for sharing your workflow! Been considering something like this for a project later this year I've got which needs remote recording on a couple of other locations simultaneously. 
https://www.lyxpro.com/products/lyxpro-4-channel-3-pin-xlr-multi-network-breakout-for-stage-recording-studio-xlr-male-and-female-to-rj45-ethercon
That's a very affordable price! 
Any negatives to this? No impact on audio quality??

Would like to be able to send one or two channels of audio back up that same CAT cable, if you know of any easy/affordable solutions here. 
Interestingly, in the Amazon Q&A they say:
"The boxes are passive so they will work in either direction. Male XLR to Male XLR should work great. " 
Sounds like it should work in reverse! Could you give it a try for us to send audio in both directions at once?

I can not hear any degradation, that does not mean it isn't happening. My receivers will send tone and at line level there was bleed thru. I run them at mic level and with a 100 foot cable I needed a 1 db increase from the receivers to maintain the same levels. I don't see any reason you can not send and receive on the same cable with gender changers. I thought of mixing signals except some shoots will require 4 returns, that is why I am going to create a separate bag for returns. I just ran a long quad star cable to the camera for a scratch track rather than using another cat5 cable. The second day I used a wireless hop from my mixer since it was a scratch track. I sent a mono signal on both return channels.

They are in post with the audio right now and I will report any feedback from the client. So far not a word. These were loosely scripted conversations with up to 4 people, with Dugan they were very happy how it was sounding on set.

Laving them was a whole different story.

Thanks, that sounds like good news, except this:

1 hour ago, newzhack said:

My receivers will send tone and at line level there was bleed thru.

This means if I've got Lectro SR/411 receivers, and/or a plant mic being powered with a Sound Devices MP1, I can't be sending it out at line level like you would normally?? :-/ Hmmmm... 

Sorry, got more questions! Does it pass phantom power through it without problems? 

18 hours ago, newzhack said:

your experience may be different than mine. I found it sounded ok on line level but tone seemed to overwhelm everything.

Wonder if that was because you're using CAT5 cables? As I just noticed LyxPro says to use CAT6 which has better shielding, worth testing with CAT6 if you're got any lying about to see if that resolves your issue you noticed with tone being sent. 

On 6/24/2020 at 3:42 AM, IronFilm said:

Sorry, got more questions! Does it pass phantom power through it without problems? 

Wonder if that was because you're using CAT5 cables? As I just noticed LyxPro says to use CAT6 which has better shielding, worth testing with CAT6 if you're got any lying about to see if that resolves your issue you noticed with tone being sent. 

I don't have any 100 foot CAT6 and will look into this. I think any 100 foot cable is going to degrade a signal a small amount. Thanks for the tip.

I did get two 50 foot super cat cables and will check them this week.

Did we ever get an answer whether or not the LyxPro solution or any other solution will work in both directions at the same time? 

It would be great to send two channels of audio from the set into a mixer, then two channels of audio back to a camera along the same CAT6 cable.

Thanks!

2 hours ago, acdave said:

Did we ever get an answer whether or not the LyxPro solution or any other solution will work in both directions at the same time? 

It would be great to send two channels of audio from the set into a mixer, then two channels of audio back to a camera along the same CAT6 cable.

Thanks!

Looks like CAT6 has 4 twisted pairs with claimed very low crosstalk. Maybe you could add XLR gender benders at each end on the returns, or roll your own XLR to ´Ethernet fanouts. Just a thought. No guarantees.

Thanks, Jim! 

That's what I was hoping for, but I was wishing that Newzhack would confirm it before I dive into buying a system.

Isolating the audio department from set seems like a likely scenario going forward. A single CAT6 cable would be ideal.

BTW, how did you see my post? I checked Unread Content and it hasn't shown up yet.

Thanks again!

Dave

acdave said: "BTW, how did you see my post? I checked Unread Content and it hasn't shown up yet."

I think if the post was made by you and you check up on posts using the "Unread Content" button, you do not see a post that you have made. I could be wrong on this. Either way, I did see your post and there were others who commented.