B9 Audio - CM150

Attila

Hi,

there is this Taiwan based mic manufacturer www.b9audio.com

I am interested in the Super Cardiod mic CM150 which is available in three different versions.

It´s difficult to find informations about them, because the ones I found are in Taiwanese.

On Youtube there are some videos. A demonstration of the CM170 and the CM150 can be found. All the others are used for classical recordings.

I assume, that the mics have to be more than good, when used for classiscal recordings, because normally these people are super picky about what gear they choose.

Gotta say, the B9 mics are clearly better than an Octava.  Much better.  I will agree that they are not Schoeps, but they are pretty darned good.  I record almost nothing but classical music and have a locker full of top-tier mics and I demo'd the stereo figure-of-eight on a number of jobs, against Blumlein Schoeps Mk8s  and my Samar stereo ribbon and the B9 mic did not disappoint.  At the price, I would say that they are hard to beat.  They are great bang-for-the-buck mics for those without the bank to be able to afford the top tier.

Can't say anything about the B9 "movie mics" however.

Just my $.02.

D.

• 2 weeks later...

@AttilaTony, the owner of B9, is very active on some other online audio forums - Gearslutz perhaps. He's a very friendly guy and will answer any questions you have. I own a B9 CM170 and it's definitely better in sound quality than an Oktava, at least the ones I've heard. The CM170 is clearly designed to look like a miniCMIT but it's not on that level either. However, like @tourtelot mentioned, it's hard to beat at it's price range.

No risk no fun no chance to discorver somerhing new. I read a discussion about the B9 stereo mics and the user only said good things about it. Also I found some examples where the high end audio community uses the stereomics to record their high end systems.(little bit strange to listen to a recorded hifi system). Also the use of sound devices and cantar convinced me of the serouisity of the company.

Long story short, I ordered the CM150F and I report back.

• 1 year later...
On 6/1/2020 at 9:26 AM, jwanek said:

@AttilaTony, the owner of B9, is very active on some other online audio forums - Gearslutz perhaps. He's a very friendly guy and will answer any questions you have. I own a B9 CM170 and it's definitely better in sound quality than an Oktava, at least the ones I've heard. The CM170 is clearly designed to look like a miniCMIT but it's not on that level either. However, like @tourtelot mentioned, it's hard to beat at it's price range.

Thank you for your kind words. I remember CM170 came out earlier than miniCMIT. I was amazed when miniCMIT announced as the dimension is so similar with CM170.
A lot of my recording friends in Taiwan use CM170 and CM150 in movie, TV, and documentary recording.