Nova CR 2330 coin cell battery

osa

IMG_8378.jpg

curious if anyone has had any issues with keeping time with the internal battery. It is totally random where i get a warning at startup and my time resets to zero and date 01/01/2000. sometimes i get the warning but it keeps all settings. I had talked to Glenn about this and he told me how to get to the battery to check it. I pulled it, cleaned it off, checked voltage - it says 2.80v. should these batts read 3.0v or more? i put back in to test and it fit snug as it seemed it should. it did still happen at least once during tests where it reset. then again where timecode reset but date and time held.  It seems to go back to last memory recall settings for folder, scene n take, and trim n fader settings but keeps outputs and rec tracks. I will try a brand new batt today (hot damn are these hard to find locally, headed to batteries plus as soon as they open) and later calling them if still having trouble but wanted to check here to see if i am overlooking anything.

-Ken

I'm not saying this relates directly to Ken's particular situation, but worthy of note: 

In any modern device, when replacing an internal clock backup battery, I strongly suggest lightly burnishing both the battery surface and machine contacts, followed with a drop of contact solution (such as Deoxit D5 Contact Cleaner and Rejuvenator) at the contact points.

Internal clock backup circuits draw such minimal current that any corrosion or oxidation at the contact points can be an issue.

1 hour ago, John Blankenship said:

I'm not saying this relates directly to Ken's particular situation, but worthy of note: 

In any modern device, when replacing an internal clock backup battery, I strongly suggest lightly burnishing both the battery surface and machine contacts, followed with a drop of contact solution (such as Deoxit D5 Contact Cleaner and Rejuvenator) at the contact points.

Internal clock backup circuits draw such minimal current that any corrosion or oxidation at the contact points can be an issue.

Brilliant John thanks for the tip. With the work it takes to get to this battery, it is certainly worth the extra effort to maintain the contacts for longevity. I just bought two batteries since it was so hard to find I will have a future back up. My hunch is voltage of the orig batt too low maybe a battery defect from the mfg. Uncommon but certainly a possibility. I think i do have a small tube pf the deoxit stuff

Wanted to report back i have replaced the internal coin battery deoxing contacts prior and photos below lead me to believe mfg defect in the battery considering my unit was received in October last year. I was spooked because when I first fired it up with the new battery I got the warnings again, then it hit me that most likely that’s because it’s the first time the clockchip was firing up under new power. Fingers crossed so far multiple attempts to duplicate and no warnings so I believe I am all fixed up

One other thing that is noteworthy - radial buttons F7 and F10 are affected by the depth of the screws in the front and back panels just below the respective buttons! just need to make sure you keep track of the slightly smaller screws for those

old: 2.75

new: 3.24

2E8C0D9B-DCA0-496F-BB71-49FE129DE2B7.jpeg

50673983-3115-4C5D-B286-0AD7F33FA782.jpeg

Hi, I believe there is a software issue with the internal clock.

My Nova fails to pick up the internal clock on occasion but if I restart it, it then picks up the clock. 
Zaxcom know about it and are trying to fix the issue.

17 hours ago, vins said:

Hi, I believe there is a software issue with the internal clock.

My Nova fails to pick up the internal clock on occasion but if I restart it, it then picks up the clock. 
Zaxcom know about it and are trying to fix the issue.

what firmware version are you currently on? Glenn seemed pretty convinced it was the battery for me. Your issue sounds different than what i was experiencing but i will keep and eye on mine. So far so good for me after new battery with continued tests. I also up’ed to 2.05

Hi, I'm on 2.08.  Here's the last part of the Nova facebook thread.  Glenn replied a week ago, so they may have only figured it was a bug after your dealings with him.

• Is the Nova holding date and time? Does the warning happen with every boot or just once?
  • badge icon
    We are working on this problem. Seems to be a bug.

good to know. i talked to service today and if you get the warning but it is still holding date and time, you should be ok while a fix is in the works. mine in particular was losing date so a battery replace was a fix for me at least for now.

• 2 weeks later...

sorry guys wanted to check back one more time to see if anyone found a solution. i fear i might need to send mine in for warranty repair. mine works ok for a period of time powering on powering off no warnings, then randomly happens. my date goes to jan 01 2000, my timecode resets (which is why i use a denecke jb1 to keep my tc locked in all day), my primary folder resets to that saved with my last preset recall, and my faders all set to noon. I unfortunately dont have facebook so i am missing out. I am currently forced to stay powered on morning til lunch knowing i have to reset all above to get back to work. i want to check my battery one more time to see if it is drained - could it be software related draining my battery? I know they are aware of an issue but my issue does seem different than those issues being reported.

pulled the battery and its at 3.06v

-Ken

CAC881CB-52B5-42C9-AB6E-AF4BE8005278.jpeg

• 1 month later...

I had my nova repaired, received it back, all was good for about 2 weeks and now i have the same coincell battery problem again with the error shown below. anyone else experiencing this issue or is it isolated to my unit? Anyone ever have zaxcom do a replacement of equipment under warranty or will i have to send it back again and pray for a repair? I cant stand the thought of being without it. Worklife would be sweet if it werent hinging entirely on this battery. I am burning thru batteries staying powered on and “waiting on sound” while I frantically replug all my settings when i lose power. Total nightmare. This coincell battery is a spirit crusher

EF119A52-9F86-4554-8FF4-105E5A3DD608.jpeg