Improperly used mics in movies and TV

JonG

That’s a kind of interior design that some of us here might be ok with lol!

——————————-

Medium S01E15

apparently the actors playing boom ops didn’t understand that the mic should be pointed AT the person talking and not just wherever! 

B7F70A1D-B333-4917-8C74-CDB3815216A8.jpeg

• 1 month later...

A bit of a departure from the usual shenanigans. I’m watching this Netflix true crime show, and all the interview segments are framing so wide that they literally have lights visible for most of the time, but still see fit to have the boom so high above the subject that it would basically be useless. I’m sure that the sound mixer objected at this clearly aesthetic choice on the part of production, but seriously, the fact that these interviews only use seconds at a time of the video portions, they really should prioritize the boom. It just makes my mind explode that someone would hinge the quality of their production on such a trivial aesthetic. 🤯 

CB2AEF52-57E1-41BB-A973-F128DEA3A01E.jpeg

My guess is, the light stands and the hanging light look quite industrial and kind of look like they belong on that place and most viewers won’t recognise them as film gear. The mic does still look out of place and not really industrial, so I can kind of understand that choice. 
Still, they could have done that as b-roll and then move in closer for the actual interview 

Could be that the light casts a real nasty shadow on the subject’s face. Sure they could remedy that, but then the industrial look, as Constantin says, would be “moot”.. 

It sure looks like the mic is lit in such a way that if it were any farther down there would be a shadow. Some hot young DP with a bunch of cool lights has been told not to give sound an inch. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 8/8/2023 at 11:31 AM, JonG said:

65C776A4-28D0-4525-9D1A-9586B7C5FF22.jpeg

Veronica Mars S3E3

College radio program scene with hosts and guests using LDC side adresse mics as if they were EV RE20’s

I can’t even count anymore the number of times I‘ve corrected this on sets I worked on. But a second before we start rolling some prop person walks by and „oh this is wrong“ changes it back and we roll.

• 3 months later...

Given how many cheap copies of U87s there are out there, I doubt it's a real one...

Also, cheap lights, cheap camera, uncoiled cables all over the place, and a truly terrible cable wrap on the mic stand.  This does not strike me as a set where a real U87 would be available.  There's lots more wrong on this set than just mic placement.

OK but here's a weird one. This is actually a TV show that use LDCs for its primary sound, so it's basically a good looking video podcast, with actual camera operators and such, not like a Joe Rogan type deal. It's a Swedish show. I just think it's weird that they choose to have the mics like that. It's almost uncanny valley. I mean I like the sound of it, it sounds great, but there's a big disconnect with what I'm used to seeing as a TV viewer.

Utrikesbyrån.jpg

56 minutes ago, Olle Sjostrom said:

OK but here's a weird one. This is actually a TV show that use LDCs for its primary sound, so it's basically a good looking video podcast, with actual camera operators and such, not like a Joe Rogan type deal. It's a Swedish show. I just think it's weird that they choose to have the mics like that. It's almost uncanny valley. I mean I like the sound of it, it sounds great, but there's a big disconnect with what I'm used to seeing as a TV viewer.

I guess they want to give it a podcaster/youtuber "vibe". Large microphones are trendy, look at how many youtubers use a Shure SM7B!

23 hours ago, JonG said:

Airheads! The audiocentric movie that overlooked so much! The entire duration of this movie based in a radio station, the presenter uses an AKG C-414 (with wind support) as a front address mic as opposed to a side address mic. 

IMG_4157.jpeg

Maybe it’s set as omni. I have used it like that back at my music recording days when I did not have a pop screen 

1 hour ago, Olle Sjostrom said:

Utrikesbyrån.jpg

Nothing wrong with this setup. Golden Ratio seams to be in tact.  The pop screen might be a overkill but an overkill that does not hurt is ok in my book.

22 hours ago, Olle Sjostrom said:

But what about EVERY SINGLE LATE NIGHT SHOW (excuse me, not every single one obviously, but very many) with an LDC mic just sitting on a desk like it's doing something!? Maybe I'm just ignorant, maybe they're there for some reason, but I can't see what that would be other than aesthetics. 

Conan.jpg

Fallon.jpg

Jay Leno.jpg

Letterman.jpg

Seth Meyers.jpg

Maybe it is backup omni.

On 12/11/2023 at 12:37 AM, JonG said:

Harrow S2E7 looks like a Neumann u87 but is being used as a front address mic instead of a side address mic. Pretty sloppy to have such an expensive mic as a prop!

IMG_4154.jpeg

Again maybe it is omni and it sounds good. 

On 8/13/2023 at 2:31 AM, Constantin said:

I can’t even count anymore the number of times I‘ve corrected this on sets I worked on. But a second before we start rolling some prop person walks by and „oh this is wrong“ changes it back and we roll.

Might sound good. Less pop from air.

On 7/22/2023 at 1:02 PM, Mungo said:

"Are You Gonna Go My Way" by Lenny Kravitz. Neumann Mic set to Cardioid, Neumann sign 180 degrees away from singer ...

Bildschirmfoto 2023-07-22 um 21.45.41.pngimage.png

Music video. I would have switched it as well. Looks cooler from that angle.

On 7/1/2023 at 2:21 AM, JonG said:

A bit of a departure from the usual shenanigans. I’m watching this Netflix true crime show, and all the interview segments are framing so wide that they literally have lights visible for most of the time, but still see fit to have the boom so high above the subject that it would basically be useless. I’m sure that the sound mixer objected at this clearly aesthetic choice on the part of production, but seriously, the fact that these interviews only use seconds at a time of the video portions, they really should prioritize the boom. It just makes my mind explode that someone would hinge the quality of their production on such a trivial aesthetic. 🤯 

CB2AEF52-57E1-41BB-A973-F128DEA3A01E.jpeg

It is sad but I have done it as well. B cam on a 24 pulled back. Pretty much Lav as final sound. Or even boom if it is quiet and good acoustical . Looks like mk41

2 hours ago, The Immoral Mr Teas said:

... And if it's good enough for a recorder it's good enough for a human voice

Don't know if this is a joke or a real statement but no.

15 hours ago, Constantin said:

Speaking into the side of a capsule will never sound good. At least not good as when speaking into the large side of it

As I said if switched as omni the pickup pattern will get good voice with less detail in  sibilance.  I have dropped an Omni LC between few singers and even the once off axis sounded fine. Not to mention omni helps with comb filtering. 

Here is a 3d picture of how different  polarizations pick up.

IMG_0659.webp

On 12/15/2023 at 9:02 AM, RadoStefanov said:

Here is a 3d picture of how different  polarizations pick up.

IMG_0659.webp

Hey Rado I realize this is waaaay OT, but I think those images are misleading because they don't have any distinctions for different frequencies.  We all know that even a super cardioid essentially captures bass freqs the same as an omni.  Also despite the name, there is always a big sweet spot on all omni's I've handled - right in front of the element.  Neither of these issues is evident in those kinds of illustrations. 

Apologies for the OT.  I just wish the audio industry was regulated the way other ones are.  For example, forcing all mic manufacturers to publish clinically-tested specs, including the most important spec that no one talks about - off-axis response.  The music industry equipment also needs some standardization.

• 2 weeks later...