What mics are these?

Ty Ford

On 6/6/2020 at 10:19 PM, codyman said:

I hope you kept the '64 Corvair all these years too!  That was the best year (fixed the handling finally) and the Spyder's turbo H6 was pretty sweet.

In the 70's and 80's I had a 1963 Spyder (turbo) and sold it to buy a wedding ring, a 1964 Spyder (turbo with a Weber DCOE side draft racing carb.) and raced SCCA, regionally, with it, then bought a 1965 Spyder (stock four single-throat down-draft carburetors) and raced that too. Much faster off the line. I could smoke Porsche 411s, and stock Ford Mustangs (my usual competition).

Yes, in 1964 Chevy fixed the problem of the Corvair being prone to flip over while parked in a driveway, lol. They added a transverse leaf spring to limit the movement of the rear swing axles. The same swing axle design the Volkswagen Beetle had used for gobs of years. In 1965 Chevy created a new design now using four wheel independent suspension very similar to a Jaguar suspension. My '65 handled beautifully. And with slight over-steer, due to the engine being in the correct location (in the rear), I could break the back end loose, swing the tail to the side of the apex of the curve and accelerate out of the curve while the Mustangs were still breaking. Tears of nostalgia are welling up as I type this. Those were great days. I had no money but I was having fun.

Oh, and I was kidding about the U47.  Just the first expensive mic that came to mind.

Snare bottom for me (and mic'ing a snare is a rare thing for me these days)?  Maybe a 421.  Top?  I really like Sennheiser 441s for that.  But I still love the 57 on top.  Drum needs to be tuned and not floppy.  I think it makes a nice crisp "thack" and a nice attack.  Would I put a Schoeps cardioid up there?  Why not?  But when I used to tour live acts, it is true that I needed to replace the snare drum mic fairly often because of errant hits.  Why take the chance on a snare drum?  Just me.

Oh, and this is for rock and roll.  A symphony snare drum is a whole different ball 'o wax, as is a jazz snare.

D. 

As I recall,  LBJ was the first Pres to use the SM57 ('VIP' setup).

When I worked as a nightclub sound tech/FOH mixer in NYC, a 57would occasionally be damaged by a direct stick hit to the head,  which would become dislodged and necessitated a trip back to Shure for repair. I lost two 58's in a nightclub fire as well. they still 'worked', but the frequency response made them unusable. $35 and a trip back to the Shure mothership fixed that too.

2 hours ago, PMC said:

Tears of nostalgia are welling up as I type this. Those were great days. I had no money but I was having fun.

Very cool!  I've always wanted to eventually own something that is air cooled.  At this point I am just thankful to have a few ongoing car projects ('68 F250 Camper Special Ranger factory 390, '70 Kaiser Jeep Wagoneer factory Buick 350 // car sitting my buddy's 2000 Ford Lightning 5.4 Supercharged and then have been wrenching on a friends '70 GTO 455 4 speed and '72 BMW Bavaria 3.0 I6 4 speed too -- It's nice having a big driveway for cars vs the old city life I had!) to get me through this no working pandemic (Car parts are cheaper than a therapist too 😀).  With this endless 24/7 news cycle, it's nice to step away from all the screens / apps / notifications etc and just get some wrenching in. 

Sorry to the non-car people of this thread for hijacking it a bit!  We should create a new thread called "Project Car Owners With A Sound Mixing Problem".

22 hours ago, cmgoodin said:

No, the 3 or later 2, mics were summed and fed to Press Box distro amps for the Media Pool Feeds.

This has been done since the mid 60s.  White house communications did this to prevent the forest of individual mics by all the media.

And to provide backup in case there was a mic failure.  That almost never happened since these mics are dynamic and have no power requirements or active components and the only failures came from broken cables or Rain damage.

There are many manufacturers of Press Boxes now but Opamp Labs had been making them since the late 60s

https://www.opamplabs.com/products/audio-video-network-distribution-press-feed-mult-box/va-32-video-audio-press-feed.html

Right.   I meant maybe they fed mics into multiple mult paths, and now they don't.  

7 minutes ago, EmRR said:

Right.   I meant maybe they fed mics into multiple mult paths, and now they don't. 

Here's an article from 2017 by, "Josh King [who] was White House director of production for presidential events from 1993 to 1997." It appears the change to one close mic was largely because of the way Trump like to work a microphone. The article includes some history and some pix (including of Nixon with four SM57s):

TRUMP’S BIG LEAGUE MICROPHONE

A golden gooseneck

And if you -really- want to know more: