Sending a mix to a cellphone

Bluelobster

Does anyone have a reliable system to send a mix to a cell phone for a client to monitor in a far away land? Interested in android and ios solutions.

I am hearing mixed reviews about the jk audio gear (was looking into the jk audio bluedriver). Looking into various trs to cell phone adaptors, and the rode i-xlr. Any insight into this situation would be greatly appreciated! 

Cheers, and stay safe out there!

5 hours ago, JoshuaT said:

The 8 series can send a mix via usb to iPhone 

Sadly it’s not a soultion for telephone calls. Iphone breaks the usb connection if you start a phone call. 
My solution is a minijack lighning Y cable, and sending a mic level mix from ProTools or a SD recorder. 

Apple Lightning to 3.5mm Headphone Jack Adapter (MMX62ZMA) vásárlás, olcsó Apple Lightning to 3.5mm Headphone Jack Adapter (MMX.png

Screenshot 2020-06-06 at 8.08.31.png

1 hour ago, Csaba Major said:

Sadly it’s not a soultion for telephone calls. Iphone breaks the usb connection if you start a phone call. 
My solution is a minijack lighning Y cable, and sending a mic level mix from ProTools or a SD recorder. 

Apple Lightning to 3.5mm Headphone Jack Adapter (MMX62ZMA) vásárlás, olcsó Apple Lightning to 3.5mm Headphone Jack Adapter (MMX.png

Hi Csaba,

Is the splitter shown – male end: 4pole; female ends: mono in / stereo out?

9 hours ago, Csaba Major said:

I have and use something very similar. It works great! Make sure you’re using mic level.

CB62AA0E-BFFA-4A18-8018-4248BDEDE111.jpeg

21 hours ago, Bluelobster said:

Does anyone have a reliable system to send a mix to a cell phone for a client to monitor in a far away land? Interested in android and ios solutions.

I am hearing mixed reviews about the jk audio gear (was looking into the jk audio bluedriver). Looking into various trs to cell phone adaptors, and the rode i-xlr. Any insight into this situation would be greatly appreciated! 

Cheers, and stay safe out there!

Confused 

Do you want to send a mix, so the client can monitor on their iPhone, from your computer?

Just use a file hosting site like soundcloud, they can play the file on their iPhone............................

2 hours ago, TVPostSound said:

Confused 

Do you want to send a mix, so the client can monitor on their iPhone, from your computer?

Just use a file hosting site like soundcloud, they can play the file on their iPhone............................

the impression i got is OP needs to send mix via a phone so remote client can monitor in realtime. It would be cool to send a mix to a streaming platform in realtime, direct from the recorder. Nagra 7 has a GSM option but I'm not sure this would enable that.

2 hours ago, daniel said:

It would be cool to send a mix to a streaming platform in realtime, direct from the recorder.

After having issues with cell coverage when I was streaming meetings held in basements I took the sub output from my mixer and ran it into my laptop. I used the online meeting option of my office phone system to set up a webmeeting that the live captioners could join. Be easy enough to do the same with Zoom, Skype, or any other platform as long as you have internet service. Obviously not as convenient in the field.

Is this for video? If they are monitoring the video feed in real time with no issues, just send the audio feed embedded along with it.

This means sending the mix to the camera's input, and making sure the audio travels along with the video in the same SDI stream wherever it goes (Teradek, etc.)

1 hour ago, Bluelobster said:

I would be out in the field with a 788. Looking to send a mix in real time through a telephone to a client. Thanks for the input!

Then as long as you have the correct cable, hijack the mic input of the phone and you're good to go. TRRS for the phone side (I believe) - I recommend sending mono.

• 3 weeks later...

I am doing one right now - but my setup is far from modern design. Feeding a director monitoring on zoom remotely. He is on a laptop literally parked in front of a physical monitor (not sdi feed). I am called into zoom meeting with my iPhone 6s and a custom TRSS cable feeds my phone jack mono mic level. Each time we cut i mute my zoom feed and producer unmutes laptop for open discussion. Producer mutes laptop i unmute zoom and cycle repeats

Well... it's expensive, but it works with any Bluetooth enabled phone and you don't have to worry about having any specialized cables or specialized adapters. I own one and use it occationally.  I like it!  Both XLR and mini plug inputs and outputs.

The JK Audio Daptor Three.

Daptor-Three-comp.png

https://www.jkaudio.com/daptor3.htm

19 hours ago, osa said:

I am doing one right now - but my setup is far from modern design. Feeding a director monitoring on zoom remotely. He is on a laptop literally parked in front of a physical monitor (not sdi feed). I am called into zoom meeting with my iPhone 6s and a custom TRSS cable feeds my phone jack mono mic level. Each time we cut i mute my zoom feed and producer unmutes laptop for open discussion. Producer mutes laptop i unmute zoom and cycle repeats

i should note *i think* if you are not plugged into your phone with external mic before logging into zoom meet it defaults to your phones internal mic