Sennheiser mkh 8060 vs Rode ntg5

Sound

1 hour ago, Constantin said:

My personal dogma is to never sell a microphone, except lavs. You never know when you might need a particular mic and it’s a nice (growing) collection. 

If you have the money and space, that's great! I always thought of audio gear as an investment but I am not that sure about it anymore. Rode ntg3 drops in resale value after the ntg5 comes out.  Maybe a bit similar with the 416 and 4060? (I don't know! Don't hate me for that ;) from all my camera and audio gear the things that loose value very quickly are accessories for outdated gear. Battery grips... Baseplates for cameras.. audio adapters for mixers..) And so I am afraid to spend 500 for a windshield for a mic that may not be the "go to" mic in a year or so when an even smaller version comes out. The cosi windshields are specific for a special mic and if that's outdated they are virtually worthless. Even if the weight of a cosi seems alright starting at 200grams according to the manufacturer.. I think I will start with the rycote kit shield even if it's the old furry version and not the supersoftie but it's just 70grams. So here a winner again.

Of course, not selling mics is a bit of a luxury, and I don’t adhere to it strictly. The key is, though, to not purchase a mic you don’t like. A good mic can last many years. For example, a Schoeps CMIT is a great mic and there is no need to buy the mini version just because it’s there. The weight difference is there if course, but is that really worth it? And how many times did you really need a much smaller mic than the CMIT? On the other hand you do need a very small mic for those rare situations. But it doesn’t have to be a shotgun. Since you need a super-cardioid eventually, might as well tet ine of those, like the Schoeps with their CMC1 preamps or the DPA 4018c. 
So choose your mics carefully and you may find a companion for life. 
I had to learn that the hard way, too. Started with a Sennheiser ME66 (one of the few mics I sold), and then moved to an NTG3. Still have that one, never touch it. But it has a (personal) history and it stays with me. Every other piece of gear I‘ll probably sell in a heartbeat. 

5 hours ago, Sound said:

Maybe a bit similar with the 416 and 4060? 

No, the 416 will live forever. It’s indestructible. 4060 is still a very nice mic...

5 hours ago, Sound said:

I always thought of audio gear as an investment

yes, in the sense that it‘ll earn you money while you’re using it. Fine if you can and want to sell it later, but you shouldn’t think of that when you buy it. 

2 hours ago, Constantin said:

The key is, though, to not purchase a mic you don’t like.

Very true. I very much like the MKH 70, but don’t love it. I don’t find myself going for it as much now that I have a 8060, 8070 and CMIT. I love the sound of all three of those mics and find that I can cover almost any situation with those three shotguns.

It goes:

CMIT - it sounds nice out here.

8060 - hmm... it’s noisier than I’d like it to be out here.

8070 - oh shit it’s loud out here/you want cover the whole scene with 2 wides and nothing else?

the MKH 70 fits somewhere in between the 8060 and the 8070 in terms of reach and directionality so I usually just end up going for one of the other two.

at this point I want to only own mics I love. My only exception is my 416. I don’t love that mic, but I’m never without it.

The MKH8060 was the first shotgun I got, about a year ago. I was also tempted to get cheaper options for a shotgun, but I'm quite happy I've decided not to go with the cheaper options around. Hard to say if it's worth the extra money, because that's a personal decision. I went for an established and proven mic. After having seen an example of two documentary filmmakers on an aircraft carrier who gets clean recordings without interference from the huge radar on board, I was quite impressed. There are many properties you won't find on any spec-sheet. I'm also shure that in the future I will get other shotguns, just to have options, as different mics have different properties. 

I've also used it for Documentary work on camera. At that time I've only had an Rycote Super Shield Small blimp as wind protection wich was a quite bukly setup, as I had to get in and out a car. After that experience I've bought a Rycote Super Softie for that kind of situations. For documentary work an M/S mic on camera seems very tempting to me, but that's nothing I will get soon. At the end of the day a camera mic is always a compromise.

Greetings

3 hours ago, pillepalle said:

The MKH8060 was the first shotgun I got, about a year ago. I was also tempted to get cheaper options for a shotgun, but I'm quite happy I've decided not to go with the cheaper options around. Hard to say if it's worth the extra money, because that's a personal decision. I went for an established and proven mic. After having seen an example of two documentary filmmakers on an aircraft carrier who gets clean recordings without interference from the huge radar on board, I was quite impressed. There are many properties you won't find on any spec-sheet. I'm also shure that in the future I will get other shotguns, just to have options, as different mics have different properties. 

I've also used it for Documentary work on camera. At that time I've only had an Rycote Super Shield Small blimp as wind protection wich was a quite bukly setup, as I had to get in and out a car. After that experience I've bought a Rycote Super Softie for that kind of situations. For documentary work an M/S mic on camera seems very tempting to me, but that's nothing I will get soon. At the end of the day a camera mic is always a compromise.

Greetings

Thanks! Is there a M/S Mic with a real long "reach" or directivity?

I really like the MKH8060 and the price difference isnt a big issue (1000 compared to 730 euos) but the size and weight is my main factor. And its 10cm for the sanken compared to 18cm for the 8060, and 112grams to 55grams. And with a shorter mic I will need a smaller and lighter wind shield.

Its annoying that there is no Super Softie for the Sanken 7cm tube  - only for 5cm and 12 cm.

Maybe I will just get a Furr from rycote and put it over the included foam if needed.

I hope the sanken RF-shield will do well.. but I dont know

12 hours ago, Trey LaCroix said:

My only exception is my 416. I don’t love that mic, but I’m never without it

Exactly same here. 

1 hour ago, Sound said:

Is there a M/S Mic with a real long "reach" or directivity

Sennheiser make the MKH418, which is essentially a 416 with an 8 built in. 
I think Sanken also make a similar mic. 
And you can buy a separate fig 8 mic, like the Schoeps CCM8 and mount that on a CMIT, on a MiniCMIT, or on any other microphone. There are also lower cost options available from Ambient and Kortwich 

For cam mic mounting a one mic solution seems the most easy... like konstantin said, sanken ms, sennheiser mkh 418... there are some audiotechnica ms shotguns and neumann rsm 190/191 ( in my opinion the best sounding of the bunch), but for that you need a matrixbox that you have to rig somewhere at the cam,  so its getting bulky...

Oh, that's to big for my setup. The only disadvantage of the cs-m1is the directivity as the Sennheiser 8060 has a much sharper pickup pattern in the high frequencies. But maybe it's easier that way and maybe off axis coloration is slightly less if high and low frequencies are equally dampened from the sides.. and maybe it's easier to use it indoors.. who knows. Still Sennheiser seems like a great option. Does the Schoeps minicmit habe an even sharper pattern than the Sennheiser? It's hard to read from the data sheet.

Now I canceled my order of the sanken cs-m1 because the pickup pattern is too wide for me. For example when I use it as an on camera mic..

The candidates remaining are sennheiser 8060, schoeps minicmint, rode ntg5 and sanken cs-1e (which seems more directional according to the specs). 

And with these mics I can maybe even use a small super softie from rycote. 

Does anyone know which has the best "reach"?

Or any other ideas for the mic with best reach-to-size-ratio? :)

With the schoeps, i read about some problems with moisture which could be a huge problem for me.

So maybe I will be going for the 8060.. but still dont know.

Thanks for all your help so far!

I know the temptation to go endlessly back and forth on all this, but frankly why don't you just rent the three most likely candidates (I'd go with CS-M1, 8060 and DPA 4017C or miniCMIT if you have the money)  for a day or two and record the way you typically do your projects?

all fantastic options and it will tell you 10 times more then endlessly studying online info and thinking about this in theory.

more fun too

chris

Thanks a lot for all your help so far! I will figure it out, now I have some great options to choose from. It's a pity that there are not a lot of reviews out there for the high end mics, only for the cheap rode ntg5 I found a lot of reviews because people got it for free for their "honest review". 

I think the shortcut to the best mic is this: in this price range they all sound great and they all are great mics. You will find lots of people recommending one and lots recommending the other. That and reviews won’t really help you. It’s mostly a matter of taste and you can only find that out for yourself by trying them all out. 
Having said all that, of course the DPA4017 is the best of them all! 

Since you are not that far from me, I can rent to you some of the mics mentioned in this thread: 

CS-3e, 4017 b and c, CMIT, MKH416, MKH60, MKH50, MKH8060, Schoeps CCM8, and for  good measure a MKH816. That last one will be directional enough for you. Don’t have the MiniCMIT, but it’s supposed to sound the same as the CMIT. 
Please note: rent not lend. 

5 hours ago, Derek H said:

If it’s going on a camera just get the cheapest one of the bunch you’re considering. Seriously or even cheaper. So you’re like a one man band shooter doing your own sound?

No, I am doing sound and sometimes use a small camera with it.l

On 6/11/2020 at 11:34 PM, Constantin said:

Sennheiser make the MKH418, which is essentially a 416 with an 8 built in. 
I think Sanken also make a similar mic. 
And you can buy a separate fig 8 mic, like the Schoeps CCM8 and mount that on a CMIT, on a MiniCMIT, or on any other microphone. There are also lower cost options available from Ambient and Kortwich 

Think you might be thinking of the Sanken CSS-5

On 6/14/2020 at 2:35 AM, Sound said:

Thanks a lot for all your help so far! I will figure it out, now I have some great options to choose from. It's a pity that there are not a lot of reviews out there for the high end mics, only for the cheap rode ntg5 I found a lot of reviews because people got it for free for their "honest review". 

Even if you ignore the factor that Rode is giving away mics for reviews, there is likely 10x (or even a 100x, or perhaps x1000??) more Rode NTG5 mics sold than Sanken CSM1 (or replace that with a DPA 4017 etc or whatever)

Thus with that many many many many more users, you're going to naturally see more reviews of the cheaper shotguns simply because there are more users of it. 

Same reason you for instance see waaaaaay more reviews of the Blackmagic URSA Mini (even though Blackmagic doesn't give away those for review), than you do of an Arri Alexa SXT / Panasonic Varicam S35 / RED Ranger / Sony VENICE / etc

• 3 years later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi, I rented a MKH8060 for a feature I am working on these months, to complete my old trusted MKH416.

It is a very urban film and we shoot a lot in the streets, in uncontrolled situations, pretty much like a documentary environment except with actors...

I have been trying several mikes to pair with the 416, with a better sounding feature, and so far have not find one that equals its versatility and efficiency in the streets (I do not want to go the long shotgun way like 816 and newer 8070 etc...).

I was happy with the Shoeps CMIT5 for some films, but was very disappointed with the miniCMIT. CMIT5 sounds so different than the 416 that it is hard to use both on 2 boom situations.

I really wanted to love the MKH8060, but... My boom op and I ended up using the 416 more. The 8060 sounds much better yes, in controlled situation and quiet environment. It is close enough to the 416 to use both. But as soon as you need to get a voice out of surrounding traffic, the 416 still performs better.

We encounter strange behavior with the 8060. The off axis pickup of low end freq seems way different than advertised. It is supposed to cut 10db at 90° but I really think that is not true. At least not with the unit we have rented. The 416 -that is supposed to cut only 8db- sounds like it cuts much more low ends at 90°. We are careful not to block the side gills (do not know the english word for the holes on the mike so thats direct translation from french) inside the Cinela, as the mike seems very sensitive to that.

Anyone sharing the same disappointments with the 8060 or we have a faulty unit?

On 6/9/2020 at 10:46 AM, Sound said:

Thanks, does anybody know about the mkh 8050? Its advertised mostly for instrument pickup in the studio - although its the smallest supercardioid ive seen so far.

Hi, MKH 8050 is absolutely great on a boom pole, too ! You just need to have it in Cinela Cosi exterior mount or similar interior mount by Cinela. Very costly but simply amazing solution.

I got 2 of them, for PD and D shot sizes. Sounding great ! It is very close to / almost the same sound compared to famous MKH 50 but more lightweight, has more base response and has absolutely same characteristics, even lower noise and a bit bigger sound pressure. It only consumes a bit more phantom power (not an issue).