Looking for VERY compact boom pole

Sound

I am looking for a VERY compact boom pole, which I can always carry around as a backup when using lav mics.

It should ideally be less than 30 cm when fully collapsed. Most poles I found were minimum 60 cm, so I had to use a selfie stick which is a little embarassing..

http://www.vdbaudio.com/index.php?mode=products&type=detail&id=2048&src=145&type2=cat

http://www.vdbaudio.com/index.php?mode=products&type=cat&id=144

http://www.vdbaudio.com/index.php?mode=products&type=cat&id=143

I have an older version of the BB which is very nice to have - it might be argued that longer poles will be more useful in the context of Covid and the issues with using Radio mics.

I'd recommend the VdB Small – perfect for doc work, fits into a pelican carry on, has the largest full to collapsed length ratio that I've seen.

At just shy of 7' it is a very usable doc/eng pole.

If you (for some reason) still want to go smaller, they have the "pocket" which is 12" to 42" but other than specific situations, I don't think you'd want something that small

image.png

2 minutes ago, Valentine said:

I was going to say this looks like a very versatile option but with the wider and therefore stiffer tubes at the mic end (not the operator end) this looks more like a repurposed monopod – but since checking ALL the photos i see mic/camera/whatever can be screwed to either end and now I want 1 ,'). Nice find if the locks don't creek.

Not in a hurry to shit upon our community and quality support from our dearly held manufacturers, but I'm sure I've come across £10 (and thus prob $10) foot long short booms on eBay from your favourite Shenzhen dealer ... Likely a 1/4" camera screw so you might need an adapter but even then I'm not sure it wasn't 3/8 ... Quite surprised anyone (manufacturer or punter) would consider a quality mega short pole to be worth the inevitable high cost so surprised by the vdb model! Quite taken with the Rode micro boompole pro myself for lightweight travel but it is 3 (+) sections with each being perhaps two or so foot in length.

Jez

8 hours ago, Shastapete said:

If you (for some reason) still want to go smaller, they have the "pocket" which is 12" to 42" but other than specific situations, I don't think you'd want something that small

What would be the specific situations someone would use a boom pole with only a max length of 1m?

4 hours ago, IronFilm said:

What would be the specific situations someone would use a boom pole with only a max length of 1m?

I've been on a shoot last year where a scene took place in a very small ship cabin. Any pole longer than 50-60cm would have been a problem in that space..so far this has been the only occasion where I really needed that pole. (I think it's an old vdB pole)

15 hours ago, DanieldH said:

I suppose, such a small boom is  for 1hand operation. What Mic+suspension+wind protection do you want to mount on it? Do you want it to be internally cabled, and if, coiled, or straight, removable or not?

Sorry for my late answer. I was blocked due to "too many interactions"..

Yes, exactly, its a one handed boom.

I will buy the Sanken cs-m1 (55 Grams) and the rycote softie kit (about 70 grams I guess). So all in all about 125 grams. If it's a light boompole I think one handed operation will not be a problem for five minute interviews. An internal cable would be nice but is not necessary. Here is my emergency boom pole clipped to the side of the bag. Still the mic is way too heavy (rode ntg3 with rycote softie) and the pole is too long so I cannot put the bag down..

IMG_20200610_161650.jpg

4 hours ago, Sound said:

I think one handed operation will not be a problem for five minute interviews.

Not my preferred way of booming interviews, but whatever floats your boat.

4 hours ago, Sound said:

Here is my emergency boom pole clipped to the side of the bag. Still the mic is way too heavy (rode ntg3 with rycote softie) and the pole is too long so I cannot put the bag down..

I know the effect, but an upright boom, clipped on a resting bag, would not affect my choice of boom length or mic for interview situations. 

14 hours ago, IronFilm said:

I'd use one as a fancy pistol grip for sound effects and ambience recording, but the 50cm collapsed length of the Small VdB is short enough...

either that or for laughs when rocking up to set with a mini-pole. I haven't seen the price for a pocket, but I'm sure it's around $200... and that's around $200 too expensive for a joke

7 hours ago, Sound said:

Here is my emergency boom pole clipped to the side of the bag. Still the mic is way too heavy (rode ntg3 with rycote softie) and the pole is too long so I cannot put the bag down..

So the problem is that boom pole is reaching down lower than the base of your bag, how about clipping your mini boom pole to your harness instead? (then it won't matter if the retracted boom pole full collapsed is a bit longer than a foot) Either that, or just allow it to swivel, where it is attached to your bag, for when you put down your bag. 

Edited by IronFilm

7 hours ago, IronFilm said:

So the problem is that boom pole is reaching down lower than the base of your bag, how about clipping your mini boom pole to your harness instead? (then it won't matter if the retracted boom pole full collapsed is a bit longer than a foot) Either that, or just allow it to swivel, where it is attached to your bag, for when you put down your bag. 

Yes, I will maybe just let it swivel. Attaching to my harness will not work as it should be always recording when clipped on and it will bump against my harness when clipped on there