Headphones with high noise isolation

Attila

Hi Folks,

I am using the Sennheiser HD-25 for more than 7 years. I like them a lot and for me they are indestructable. But now I am looking for headphones with high noise isolation from the outside.

I have heared from the Remote Audio HN-7506.

Are there any others that are recommendable?

Not from me, I prefer the HN-7506 for this particular purpose. You need a short while to get used to the Sony drivers when switching from the HD-25‘s. 
I also switched the headband for the one from a  Beyerdynamic DT-777, and added the Sound Guys headphone thingy (sorry, forgot the name, it goes over the can). Both of which make the HN‘s far more comfortable to me

3 hours ago, Jim Feeley said:

Are you thinking of the PSC/Garfield Headphone Softies? I use and like those. Or is there a different product that you like?

No, you’re absolutely right, those were the ones I was thinking of. It seemed like a product Sound Guys could have done, too

I am concerned about the weight of the  HN-7506.  The specs say that they weight 1,36 Kg. And I read that the ear pads are filled with fluid gel, which can leak.

I found two other interesting headphones

Beyerdynamic DT770M 

Neumann NDH20

Any experiences with these?

12 hours ago, Attila said:

I am concerned about the weight of the  HN-7506.  The specs say that they weight 1,36 Kg. And I read that the ear pads are filled with fluid gel, which can leak.

I found two other interesting headphones

Beyerdynamic DT770M 

Neumann NDH20

Any experiences with these?

the weight is something you may need to get used to, although I feel that number is a bit exaggerated. It doesn‘t feel that heavy on my head. The ear pads are filled with gel, but in all these years I haven’t had a single leakage. 

Now, I absolutely adore the Neumann NDH20. I love their sound, I love how they feel, I love how they sit on my head, the quality they ooze out of every component and I also love their sound. A lot. 
But they are not high noise isolating headphones. They are maybe about on a level in this regard with the HD25‘s. So you wouldn’t gain much, so to speak...

On 6/13/2020 at 1:29 PM, Rick Reineke said:

I once bough a set of the Sennheiser HD280PRO. The sounded and felt alien to me after using the Sony 7506 for twenty + years, They were also uncomfortable around my neck (in between takes).  Lots of other folks like them though.

Ironically at home  (at night )I use 7506s to edit dialogue, as they have a very big HF bump, and use HD280Pros to mix, as the 280s match my JBL monitors very closely.

The HD25s are for my SFX field work.

On 6/14/2020 at 1:05 AM, Constantin said:

the weight is something you may need to get used to, although I feel that number is a bit exaggerated. It doesn‘t feel that heavy on my head. The ear pads are filled with gel, but in all these years I haven’t had a single leakage. 

Now, I absolutely adore the Neumann NDH20. I love their sound, I love how they feel, I love how they sit on my head, the quality they ooze out of every component and I also love their sound. A lot. 
But they are not high noise isolating headphones. They are maybe about on a level in this regard with the HD25‘s. So you wouldn’t gain much, so to speak...

I found the weight on the B&H site.

Custom fit IEMs offer excellent noise isolation if you’re looking for something unobtrusive and great sound. Price isn’t as great though.

Ive been using the Ultimate Ears Reference model that is supposed to offer a flat response. They’ve served me well.

On 6/13/2020 at 8:50 AM, Attila said:

I am using the Sennheiser HD-25 for more than 7 years. I like them a lot and for me they are indestructable. But now I am looking for headphones with high noise isolation from the outside.

I have heared from the Remote Audio HN-7506.

Are there any others that are recommendable?

Don't think anybody else has done what Remote Audio has done, of taking high noise reducing/protection earmuffs and put drivers (from the MDR-7506) in them. Thus if you're looking specifically for that kind of solution then the Remote Audio HN-7506 is going to be your best bet.  

On 6/13/2020 at 10:16 PM, Attila said:

I read that the ear pads are filled with fluid gel, which can leak.

True, but the replacements are very affordable:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/367824-REG/Remote_Audio_HN7506_PA100G_HN_7506PA_100G_Gel_Filled_Earpads.html

I purchased my Remote Audio HN-7056 secondhand, and had to buy replacement earpads for it. (had them a while now, is time I replace their cable too! Am going to get the Remote Audio BCSHSECK. That way I will not only get have a new cable, but also will use the TA5 headphone connection on the Sound Devices 833 for coms)

• 3 months later...

Finally I found my Headphones to go.

The BEYERDYNAMIC STUDIO CUSTOM PRO.

I tried a few cans from cheap to expensive.

I dont Unserstand why so many uses the SONY 7506. They are so harsh in the highs that it hurt my ears.

Ive also tried the Neumann NDH 20. They costs 499€ and are high end. I didnt Likes them either. I missed some clear brightness.

The BEYERDYNAMIC CUSTOM STUDIO PRO surprised me.
They are very detailed and very confortable to work all das long.
They are perfekt fore for speech. Also they are great for music. The Bass response (which you can change via the switches in the phones) is awesome for me. I find it tight and clear. Also the seperation of Instruments is clear and I found them 3D sounding. I Like rhe spatial seperation very much.

And the best thing, they were in Sale for 109€.

They come with velour pads. But dfor more noise canceling I pimped them with thick leather pads. These you can find in eBay or Ali Express.

They add a little bit to the low frequencies but isolte more. Also they are really confortable also when its warm.

I recommend these headphones very much.

IMG_20200925_103232_2.jpg

IMG_20200925_103249_9.jpg

2 hours ago, Mungo said:

Interesting, that looks like a solution! That's a very good tip!

Does anyone know or even use Sennheiser HD 300 Pro? Are they suitable for our work or just another DJ phones?

Similar if not the same as the HD 280 Pro, maybe a little more solid in the low end. I don't think its worth 3 times the price.

14 hours ago, TVPostSound said:

Similar if not the same as the HD 280 Pro, maybe a little more solid in the low end. I don't think its worth 3 times the price.

47 minutes ago, Attila said:

I tried them to and found them awful. Very boxy plastic sounding.

Thx for the info, so not worth a try. I have used some type of HD 280 predecessor very few times. That was many years ago and I remember being quite disappointed.