NoiseAssist for MixPre II Series

borjam

Wow, just got an email from Sound Devices announcing firmware version 7 and an additional feature for the II Series: A Noise Assist plugin at $300. Previously it was MixAssist.

So, I guess MixPres are doubling as an entry level hook for the Sound Devices "drug" ;)

11 minutes ago, codyman said:

I wonder if MixAssist and NoiseAssist can both be ran simultaneously on the mixpreii series?

They can! And you can record raw on location and then use NoiseAssist and MixAssist in Remix mode to deliver to post with the raw files! 

3 hours ago, jbordashSD said:

They can! And you can record raw on location and then use NoiseAssist and MixAssist in Remix mode to deliver to post with the raw files! 

Is remix something that could be implemented on the 8 series? I think it could be really cool to fix a production fix after the fact.

1 hour ago, IronFilm said:

Why would it be half the cost of the 8 Series plugin?

My guess is that the price is adjusted to fit the market. Most people aren't going to want to pay $600 for a plugin to run on a $885 recorder (MP6-II). If you paid $4200 (or more) for your recorder $600 doesn't seem so steep, especially compared to a $3000 DNS-2 that needs power, cabling, and adds routing complexity.

• 9 months later...

Could anyone with noise assist post a null test? I'd have a lot to discern from hearing it, which we could then discuss. And I'd really appreciate that.

Maybe while filling the tub, or beside a wet expressway, or a river after a rain, or under a tree in a continual wind. It doesn't have to be HVAC, or air ducts,  or a refrigerator condenser...

I already have a unit. Just not the plug in. For your sake, Al, I'll ask Sound Devices or Gotham Sound if I can take one out or rent one long enough to run the test. I'd rent one for shits and giggles if I thought they installed the plug-in on their mixpre 3's, but I doubt it. The show rooms are not open without appointment, and it's really pickup/drop off. And I don't even know if NAB is in-person this year. Does that answer your question as to why I haven't considered demo'ing one? Am I missing something that you can further illuminate?

If you have one with noise assist, would you consider doing the test?

I believe the test could all be recorded in the box. It's a matter of:

*finding a continuous, pervasive pink or white background noise

*finding something to read or say, maybe with a dialog in two registers of the voice

*linking two tracks to monitor a single input

*inverting phase on the second track  

* confirm that you're getting a negative infinity reading, or null line on the 0-axis if you take a 1st recording into an editor

*engaging noise-assist on the first track

*delay compensating the second, non-noise assist track by 1ms
*Pressing record

*Posting results

Then we can figure out how active the gate is, how gradual is the knee, how much pitch gurgling is introduced in the de-noise algorithm, how much smoothing or brightening is reintroduced, how much signal is lost or pruned in the consonants and other articulations. It's rather difficult to objectively discern the integrity of the algorithm without it (psychoaccoustically, our biases and attention going to listen for and interpolate the message, the information conveyed, and attempt to ignore the noise, which arguably is always sign that a recording is good enough). And the wave files on SoundDevices.com are not an A/B.

16 hours ago, James Louis said:

Does that answer your question as to why I haven't considered demo'ing one?

No, it doesn’t. 

As far as I‘m aware, most of the things you’re proposing for your test are not possible in the recorder. With an 8-series that might be different. 
And while I have a MixPre 10 (without NA) I am not interested in this particular test. An AB comparison might be interesting, so I can hear what NA does, but I am not interested to „objectively discern the integrity of the algorithm“. I just want to know what it sounds like 

I have a Mix pre 6 II with NA on it and an 833 with NA on it. It works very well for productions that are going to do zero audio post. I use it regularly for news live shots and corporate interview style productions. Even in a decent sounding room using it a -2 helps dry the room and make the audio more present. In noisy news live shot situations I have dialed it up to -8 as well. It is worth the money 

9 hours ago, ProSound said:

I have a Mix pre 6 II with NA on it and an 833 with NA on it. It works very well for productions that are going to do zero audio post. I use it regularly for news live shots and corporate interview style productions. Even in a decent sounding room using it a -2 helps dry the room and make the audio more present. In noisy news live shot situations I have dialed it up to -8 as well. It is worth the money 

If you set it wrong is it correctable in post? Not sure if it's non-destructive or not.

On 4/10/2021 at 2:38 PM, ProSound said:

I would love to hear how the NoiseAssist sounds and performs, maybe you have the time to help out?

I've started a new thread where I have uploaded a couple of sound bites that I've processed through a Ceder DNS2. Let's compare it with the NoiseAssist and Cedar sdnx plug-ins! 🙂

Cheers

Frederick