Headset mic for Space helmet film

JavierCarles

Hi folks,

I'm embarking myself into a low budget sci-fi feature-film with space helmets where the talents will communicate to each other via radio.

Director is happy to have mic visible since it makes sense for the story, hence I'm looking into headset mics such as the Countryman E6,

DPA 4067, 4066, 4088, 4188... which one would you recommend? I'm assuming a low sensitive mic would be wiser?

The only thing is that I have Sennheiser G3 RX/TX, so I'd need an adapter from either TA5F to 3.5mm or MicrDot to 3.5mm for my Senny.

For some reason, they are not easy to find (?). Anyone know a place where they could rent both the mic and adapter? (I'm based in London).

I'm looking into AudioDept and  just sent them an email.

Also, even though the helmets are made of foam hence they might not be very isolating, I might need to have a IEM system going on so the

character on the helmet can hear well the other actor feeding lines and Director's instructions. Any recommendation for that? I was just thinking

having more sennheiser  RX and TX feeding my mix and having the feeding lines character and director with lav on them. Would that be fine or

is there better solutions? And wouldn't the mic pick up some of the sound from the IEM?

Any help would be very much appreciated !

Thanks

check out the video on Gotham Sound's youtube channel about the actor spacesuit comms system they supplied for 'Lost In Space' a year or two ago. Most live or theatre sound hire shops in London should have suitable DPA or Voice Technologies or Countryman headsets and the adapters to Sennheiser 3.5mm TRS. All the major brands have adapters and all make 3.5mm ones. Try Autograph Sound or Orbital. Assuming you get proper earpieces intended for IEM use, or the telex plastic eartube type earpieces, you should not get any appreciable spill from IEM to Headset mic. If you try and use 'vented' earpieces, like generic iPod earpieces, you might have issues. Ideally you'd get custom IEM moulds done for the talent, but probably cost-prohibitive for an indy film.

8 hours ago, JavierCarles said:

Hi folks,

I'm embarking myself into a low budget sci-fi feature-film with space helmets where the talents will communicate to each other via radio.

Director is happy to have mic visible since it makes sense for the story, hence I'm looking into headset mics such as the Countryman E6,

DPA 4067, 4066, 4088, 4188... which one would you recommend? I'm assuming a low sensitive mic would be wiser?

The only thing is that I have Sennheiser G3 RX/TX, so I'd need an adapter from either TA5F to 3.5mm or MicrDot to 3.5mm for my Senny.

For some reason, they are not easy to find (?). Anyone know a place where they could rent both the mic and adapter? (I'm based in London).

I'm looking into AudioDept and  just sent them an email.

Also, even though the helmets are made of foam hence they might not be very isolating, I might need to have a IEM system going on so the

character on the helmet can hear well the other actor feeding lines and Director's instructions. Any recommendation for that? I was just thinking

having more sennheiser  RX and TX feeding my mix and having the feeding lines character and director with lav on them. Would that be fine or

is there better solutions? And wouldn't the mic pick up some of the sound from the IEM?

Any help would be very much appreciated !

Thanks

HI Javier,

Sounds like a fun job.

Aside from standard headset mics which of course might work really well (sonically and visually) with the space helmet props – the props department might be interested in designing (and 3d printing) mic mounts into the helmet props which could allow you to deploy your existing arsenal of lav mics. Another way to go might be Point Source Embrace Earmounts. I've been experimenting with these myself because they can be used with various brands of lav mics  (Cos-11 for me) and are quite low profile. I'm in London and your welcome to PM about these Earmounts if you want to check them out.

https://www.point-sourceaudio.com/products/microphones/earmount/eo-8wl/

Rode have a system which allows 1 of their normal lavs to be used like a headset - http://www.rode.com/accessories/lav-headset

The Rode is no where near as slick looking or as good sounding as the Sennheiser SL1 in silver (SB) https://en-uk.sennheiser.com/wireless-headmic-broadcast-live-stage-sl-1

dan

20 hours ago, JavierCarles said:

I'm assuming a low sensitive mic would be wiser?

Could be. The helmet may amplify the sound. 

For some reason, they are not easy to find (?).

Deity sell Microdot adapters at a really good price. 
https://www.pinknoise-systems.co.uk/deity-microdot-adapters-for-deity-wlav-microphone-select-variant.html

character on the helmet can hear well the other actor feeding lines and Director's instructions. Any recommendation for that?

Whatever you pick, make sure it is a few blocks away from your talent wireless. 
(perhaps consider the new Deity BP-TRX because it is on 2.4GHz? If that works for your needs https://nofilmschool.com/deitys-bp-trx-wireless-audio )

On 6/27/2020 at 11:02 PM, daniel said:

HI Javier,

Sounds like a fun job.

Aside from standard headset mics which of course might work really well (sonically and visually) with the space helmet props – the props department might be interested in designing (and 3d printing) mic mounts into the helmet props which could allow you to deploy your existing arsenal of lav mics. Another way to go might be Point Source Embrace Earmounts. I've been experimenting with these myself because they can be used with various brands of lav mics  (Cos-11 for me) and are quite low profile. I'm in London and your welcome to PM about these Earmounts if you want to check them out.

https://www.point-sourceaudio.com/products/microphones/earmount/eo-8wl/

Rode have a system which allows 1 of their normal lavs to be used like a headset - http://www.rode.com/accessories/lav-headset

The Rode is no where near as slick looking or as good sounding as the Sennheiser SL1 in silver (SB) https://en-uk.sennheiser.com/wireless-headmic-broadcast-live-stage-sl-1

dan

Thanks very much Dan! PM'ed you already regarding those Embrace Earmounts 

I have mic'd many helmets and found that any mic near the mouth or even in any area below the eye line can lead to trouble.

I have had the best luck and most natural sound putting a cos-11 in the top forehead area near the brim of the helmet. This goes for all helmets

sports, military, construction and space. This seems to open the mic up like any overhead or boom mic. Lower down can lead to all kinds of sound 

anomalies, proximitiy effects, overloading and other problems. The main problem would be if you can't hide the mic lead. 

I have also put the whole transmitter in the helmet to avoid that.