Starting back up in August?!!!

Izen Ears

Got an email from the UPM stating that they are starting some construction this month, and are working to start shooting n August.

WHAAAAAAAT?!!!

I always maintained that schools would be open before network shows started up again.  But they’re not...  Seems overly hopeful to me.  I’ve heard about reality starting back up in my town, but August seems just crazy.  With virus numbers going up due to a Deranged Cheeto who’s only “leadership” is calling for a civil war and all...
Dan Izen

I have been working on small corporate shoots just myself, camera and talent everyone else remotely. Mostly boom only stuff Also been doing some news work which is the same everyone remote but the 3 of us outdoors only boom only for interviews

6 hours ago, Philip Perkins said:

Just dinky (outdoors) stuff for me so far.   A few full up commercials are shooting around here, have not heard about local

episodics resuming yet.  Lotsa talk...

29 minutes ago, ProSound said:

I have been working on small corporate shoots just myself, camera and talent everyone else remotely. Mostly boom only stuff Also been doing some news work which is the same everyone remote but the 3 of us outdoors only boom only for interviews

Same kind of gigs for me so far too.  A lot of "one off" days on sound stages with minimal crew.  Even have something on Thursday where they are going to have us all take a COVID test (both kind of antibody blood tests) via some sort of private medical group that will be on site before we are even allowed inside the building.

• 2 weeks later...

On 7/7/2020 at 9:18 PM, codyman said:

Same kind of gigs for me so far too.  A lot of "one off" days on sound stages with minimal crew.  Even have something on Thursday where they are going to have us all take a COVID test (both kind of antibody blood tests) via some sort of private medical group that will be on site before we are even allowed inside the building.

This is so funny.  I have been working for a client that produces political ads.  Just a month ago I worked on one of their shoots.  Their client is a doctor running for office.  Two day shoot.  The doctor does not wear any kind of face covering.  I asked him at the beginning why no face covering (crew of course is wearing face coverings), he says it isn't necessary that they don't work.  Folks this is a trauma surgeon for a major hospital.  I bet if he showed in surgery with no mask heads would roll.  Very cavalier about taking precautions.  I am wearing a mask and face shield during this shoot.

9 hours ago, drpro said:

This is so funny.  I have been working for a client that produces political ads.  Just a month ago I worked on one of their shoots.  Their client is a doctor running for office.  Two day shoot.  The doctor does not wear any kind of face covering.  I asked him at the beginning why no face covering (crew of course is wearing face coverings), he says it isn't necessary that they don't work.  Folks this is a trauma surgeon for a major hospital.  I bet if he showed in surgery with no mask heads would roll.  Very cavalier about taking precautions.  I am wearing a mask and face shield during this shoot.

I think masks are in some ways equatable with bicycle helmets. They look like they may do something but when you dig into to it - not so much. In the context where the helmet is relevant, the brain still whacks the inside of the skull at speed causing concussion but the helmet will stop superficial damage to soft tissue on the outside and wont protect the rest of the body from an impact with another vehicle. In theory the mask will stop some aerosols from spreading from you (which is good) but for your own protection as soon as you are in an environment where it may be relevant, you need to handle your mask as a potential source of C19. The inside for others and the outside for yourself. In medical settings PPE is not reused and is put on and taken off in controlled environments. If you are taking your mask on and off through the day and putting it a pocket/bag for use latter then the inside is now like the outside and vice versa. But it does look the part and I guess some of us will need to wear these when we start cramming back into small spaces to travel to work, change location and "get the shot". 1 of my kids tested positive at the beginning of the week, the rest of us didn't - we are now all self isolating (and we are all in good health 🤞 and under house arrest for only 5 more 'sleeps'). Medical advisors are NOT saying it's ok to go out - so long as you wear a mask. I guess someone reading this might think - the result is the outcome of not wearing a mask but putting a 3 y.o in a mask and expecting it to be placed effectively all day is being hopefully at best. My take out from the experience is we need clear, consistent, unambiguous reporting and protocols from our so called leaders, across all settings and institutions (the school and nursery went about things very differently). Thorough testing. And healthcare systems with the capacity to treat large numbers of people of all classes. There also seems to be some game theory in play with regard our economies, antibody testing and a vaccine but I'm not sure I can articulate this better than this at the moment. Good luck to us all especially state side, things sound even worse there than it was here.

2 hours ago, daniel said:

I think masks are in some ways equatable with bicycle helmets. They look like they may do something but when you dig into to it - not so much. In the context where the helmet is relevant, the brain still whacks the inside of the skull at speed causing concussion but the helmet will stop superficial damage to soft tissue on the outside and wont protect the rest of the body from an impact with another vehicle.

Utter Bulls&%$.... bad analogy...

Superficial damage to the soft tissue....WHAT!!  What about a skull fracture buddy!!

I have personally seen Bike helmets save both my skull and the skulls of both my small children multiple times...  I have seen their heads bash the concrete hard enough to fracture their skulls, but did not because of their helmets... same as myself, I too have hit the concrete so hard with my head that without my helmet, I would of possibly been dead... If Concussion is the result so be it, but we're not tossing away the helmets anytime soon ...

Just wear the mask the best you and your family can... It's the LEAST we can all do....  

31 minutes ago, afewmoreyears said:

Utter Bulls&%$.... bad analogy...

Superficial damage to the soft tissue....WHAT!!  What about a skull fracture buddy!!

I have personally seen Bike helmets save both my skull and the skulls of both my small children multiple times...  I have seen their heads bash the concrete hard enough to fracture their skulls, but did not because of their helmets... same as myself, I too have hit the concrete so hard with my head that without my helmet, I would of possibly been dead... If Concussion is the result so be it, but we're not tossing away the helmets anytime soon ...

Just wear the mask the best you and your family can... It's the LEAST we can all do....  

😱 It might have been a bad analogy - comparing helmets and masks but re helmets: show me a manufacturer of bicycle helmets that says they will protect you in a collision with another vehicle - most informed people concerned in cycle safety in the UK consider proper training, risk assessment and responsible road use by all parties to be more useful than a couple of hundred grams of polystyrene strapped (often badly) to the head. When Australia made it compulsory to wear cycle helmets there was no reduction is serious head injuries - thats after many years and millions of miles cycled. Re Covid: We are wearing masks as required but we are not kidding ourselves this is going to make a significant difference - I am not in the camp of protesting about my civil liberties being at stake (which I guess you think I am). Uk gov T&T is all over the place and far from anything practiced in Korea for example. If only road safety and pandemic response were as simple as some cheap items of PPE with a high variance of how 'well' they are worn and used - which was my point with the analogy. I'll re-iterate this for you. We have been highly diligent beyond official requirements (we all got tested when told 1 of us should) and have first hand experience of how serious the illness is. We observed general lockdown and now personal SI. We understand the need to get economies running again but personally prefer more caution from our government. 

5 minutes ago, daniel said:

most informed people concerned in cycle safety in the UK consider proper training, risk assessment and responsible road use by all parties to be more useful than a couple of hundred grams of polystyrene strapped (often badly) to the head.

No worries Daniel, but.... Hitting a corner at even a few MPH you can hit a patch of sand or gravel and go down ...on your head... You can take all the training you want and that happens...  Over 50 years of Off road racing and bike riding and I have done it quite a few times... It goes with the sport... any 2 wheel sport... It just happens..

29 minutes ago, tourtelot said:

Mask up!  There is absolutely NO question about this.  Do NOT get me f**king sick!  And I won't get you sick either.

D. 

BTW, Google "Cognitive Dissonance".

You're talking like you think the countries that have out performed US and UK with regard their Covid response did so purely by making people wear masks. They did make people wear masks and I don't have a problem with wearing a mask. But I disagree with people thinking by just doing this we can all go back to business. US and UK gov been criminally negligent to their populations with their response. Delaying lockdowns, vague and confusing messaging, inadequate medical provision. You see the stats - it's not all down to who wears a mask.

2 minutes ago, afewmoreyears said:

No worries Daniel, but.... Hitting a corner at even a few MPH you can hit a patch of sand or gravel and go down ...on your head... You can take all the training you want and that happens...  Over 50 years of Off road racing and bike riding and I have done it quite a few times... It goes with the sport... any 2 wheel sport... It just happens..

You have a few more years on me with your cycling - i'm only 50 ,'). But I think we would agree cycle sport (I used to TT) is different from cycling as a mode of transport in the same way as commuter driving should be different from driving in the Indi500, F1 and the Paris Dakar. And sorry for labouring the analogy and risking further censure but sports cycling IS closer (than commuter cycling) to working frontline against Covid as medical and care staff ie. its an risky pursuit/environment so take all measure available so you can take the risks required to do the job (especially in the context of essential workers or getting round the corner a bit quicker for a podium finish if you like, hence compulsory helmets in UCI events). Commuting and day to day living and working (as non essential workers) in this time are in their way comparable in the sense that getting to work and making films might be essential for ones personal economic survival but can't be considered essential in the way medical care and pandemic response are for the survival of our broader communities so the question is less how should we take this risk but more why would we take this risk. 

And just to add my useless tuppence per bag I've seen Dan 'snood-up' regularly way before the current situation to kid himself he's protecting himself from London's fumes!

As it is, if there are two things I hope to see at the end of all of this it is

i. All the twats who started cycling about with no regard for anyone (indeed, "like there was no tomorrow"!...) put their Mountains and their Cromptons and their Framptons back in their garages and forget they were ever there

ii. We all go off-li 

13 hours ago, daniel said:

You're talking like you think the countries that have out performed US and UK with regard their Covid response did so purely by making people wear masks. They did make people wear masks and I don't have a problem with wearing a mask. But I disagree with people thinking by just doing this we can all go back to business. US and UK gov been criminally negligent to their populations with their response. Delaying lockdowns, vague and confusing messaging, inadequate medical provision. You see the stats - it's not all down to who wears a mask.

Why do you presume?  I am talking like intelligent folks in the midst of the Covid pandemic would wear masks.  Duh!  I said nothing about other countries, going back to business, vague and confusing messaging.  Of course, there is all that, but I didn't speak of it.

D.

Also, bicycle helmets?  If you fall off your bike and aren't wearing a helmet, my head won't get split open.  WTF?

3 hours ago, tourtelot said:

Why do you presume?  I am talking like intelligent folks in the midst of the Covid pandemic would wear masks.  Duh!  I said nothing about other countries, going back to business, vague and confusing messaging.  Of course, there is all that, but I didn't speak of it.

D.

Also, bicycle helmets?  If you fall off your bike and aren't wearing a helmet, my head won't get split open.  WTF?

Expletives and hysteria aside, if an aspirant commuter cyclist finds it hard to sit on a bike without falling from it, there many training resources available to manage the risks involved better than wearing 200 grams of polystyrene and hoping this is the fix. Sorry to be pedantic, but falling from your bike, crashing your bike and being crashed into by someone else are quite different things, conflating the 3 will make risk assessment and management unreliable at best.

9 hours ago, The Immoral Mr Teas said:

And just to add my useless tuppence per bag I've seen Dan 'snood-up' regularly way before the current situation to kid himself he's protecting himself from London's fumes!

As it is, if there are two things I hope to see at the end of all of this it is

i. All the twats who started cycling about with no regard for anyone (indeed, "like there was no tomorrow"!...) put their Mountains and their Cromptons and their Framptons back in their garages and forget they were ever there

ii. We all go off-li 

c. 1992 when masks started to marketed to cyclists - I researched what was required to filter fumes from traffic air as opposed to particles. It is possible to filter both but the equipment required is so bulky you need a car to transport it. I also found out that traffic fumes were actually more harmful to drivers than cyclists in urban areas because the car fills up with the same gases as those outside, the driver and passengers (if any) then sit in the fumes  and with less cardio-vascular activity the toxins remain in their system longer and in most cases drivers will also spend longer in the environment than a cyclist. The snood has alway been about being a bit on the skinny side and feeling the cold and wind easily, especially when setting off.

BTW is your doctor sister wearing a mask outside work?

I know 5 doctors, 4 of which have been front line in treating covid patience (which entails wearing full PPE), none of them have been wearing masks outside of work but they have practiced responsible social distancing, mostly been regularly tested and have a good understand of the risks.

Cycling safely (for transport) involves a lot more than wearing helmet. Going back to work will involve a lot more than me and colleagues wearing a possibly contaminated piece of fabric on our faces. Realistically something like Codyman's experience of being tested on the day. I'm guessing UK police forces have been doing something like this because I never see them either socially distancing OR wearing masks.

https://images.app.goo.gl/CBfaK766gvj3dex49

Why is this even a discussion?   You can always find good looking research to back up an argument you want to make because you like the conclusion better, usually for non-scientific reasons.  Masking up in public and work might not keep you or someone else from getting sick, but then it again it might protect everyone.  The beefs I hear about masking mostly have to do with abstract concepts like personal freedom and government overreach, not practical matters like 1: maybe protecting everyone to that extent could mean we can get a handle on this thing and 2: making everyone feel safe enough to carefully work together again.  The latter considers that masking, sanitizing and distancing is partly theatre to make us feel proactive, but in the absence of the small confidence they provide (vs a crew of unmasked people) no real number of jobs or work is going to get done.  Get over yourselves and mask up, find some other way to express your defiance about the culture, the government, your life circumstances or whatever.

32 minutes ago, Philip Perkins said:

Why is this even a discussion?   You can always find good looking research to back up an argument you want to make because you like the conclusion better, usually for non-scientific reasons.  Masking up in public and work might not keep you or someone else from getting sick, but then it again it might protect everyone.  The beefs I hear about masking mostly have to do with abstract concepts like personal freedom and government overreach, not practical matters like 1: maybe protecting everyone to that extent could mean we can get a handle on this thing and 2: making everyone feel safe enough to carefully work together again.  The latter considers that masking, sanitizing and distancing is partly theatre to make us feel proactive, but in the absence of the small confidence they provide (vs a crew of unmasked people) no real number of jobs or work is going to get done.  Get over yourselves and mask up, find some other way to express your defiance about the culture, the government, your life circumstances or whatever.

You're right - I AM WRONG. Spent some time discussing this with an American friend today. According to his father in law (working in the field), if 80% of US citizens wear a mask the virus will be eradicated in the US. For the record again, I had/have no beef with wearing a mask and was NOT saying we shouldn't wear them - my opinion was, for work in potentially virally loaded environments, masks alone are not sufficient protection for individuals or community. For the interests of public information I am willing to delete or edit my previous posts or leave them up as an examples erroneous theory and bad analogy?

In Sweden there's been no discussion of wearing masks. Masks have been for hospital workers so that they don't get infected. I know comparing Sweden an the US is kind of moot, but the consensus over here is that masks wouldn't protect the general public, because if the masks are to be effective at all you'd need to switch mask every 30 minutes, unless you have a medical grade mask with filters, then you'd only have to change filters maybe every 2 hours, and that's pretty hard for people to handle I guess. Social distancing is far more effective then. Just giving some other perspective. Again, comparing US to Sweden (as we Swedes are more used to social distancing since we are gloomy people) may not be the best comparison, but hey..

30 minutes ago, Olle Sjostrom said:

In Sweden there's been no discussion of wearing masks. Masks have been for hospital workers so that they don't get infected. I know comparing Sweden an the US is kind of moot, but the consensus over here is that masks wouldn't protect the general public, because if the masks are to be effective at all you'd need to switch mask every 30 minutes, unless you have a medical grade mask with filters, then you'd only have to change filters maybe every 2 hours, and that's pretty hard for people to handle I guess. Social distancing is far more effective then. Just giving some other perspective. Again, comparing US to Sweden (as we Swedes are more used to social distancing since we are gloomy people) may not be the best comparison, but hey..

Same in the Netherlands. The exception is if the 1.5 meter distance is not possible.