Starting back up in August?!!!

Izen Ears

9 hours ago, Constantin said:

The thing is, you wear a mask because you may not know if you or someone else has it. It’s all nice and well to say that if you feel sick you stay at home, but you may not know thaz you are sick. And what is sick? A scratchy throat? A running nose?

The way we see it over here is that if you feel, in any way, anything out of the ordinary you have to stay at home. And let me point out that a lot of people do stay at home even if they feel well. It's not like we live on like nothing's happened. 

I think that the health authorities don't recommend masks here for several reasons, number one being that probably people that feel just a little snivly will start to go out and use the masks in the wrong way. And that is potentially riskier than saying just to stay at home and keep a distance. They might change their recommendations and everyone will start wearing masks. But for now they don't. 

Again I'm not arguing about wearing a mask or not, just pointing out the fact that we in Sweden see it differently than the rest of the world which might be problematic, or not. Still don't know if it's right or not. 

9 hours ago, Olle Sjostrom said:

Again I'm not arguing about wearing a mask or not, just pointing out the fact that we in Sweden see it differently than the rest of the world which might be problematic, or not. Still don't know if it's right or not

Sure, I think we all understand that, and it’s all in good spirits anyway. Or it feels like it is, anyway. 

I do see „stay at home at the slightest sign“ as a problem. It’s cool if it works for you, but I personally feel it’s bad policy. 
Here in Germany we are obligated to wear masks on public transport (incl. elevators), any shop, and other crowded gatherings, as well as everywhere if you cannot keep a distance. Of course, the recommendation here is also to stay at home if you feel unwell or have been in contact with someone who has covid. 
While we have a good health system here, as well as a decent financial safety net, there are still those who will go to work no matter if they feel a bit sick. And I feel just a tiny little bit better knowing that they will at least wear a mask. Who are, like me, self-employed and won’t get paid if they are sick. I don’t know if I’d get any compensation if I stayed at home at the slightest sign of illness, but it’s a tricky situation in any case. But at least I can get tested at any time and my current production company will pay for it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/21/2020 at 4:37 PM, Jim Feeley said:

The summary effect of mandatory bicycle helmet legislation for all cyclists on head injuries is a statistically significant reduction by 20% (95% confidence interval [-27; -13]).

If you wish to reduce head injuries in the cyclists, then yes, helmets can do that. (and on a personal level, I agree that we should wear helmets. Won't however advocate for laws to enforce that though! This is like smoking and drinking, I can agree that high levels of that is unhealthy, but that doesn't mean I want tobacco and alcohol banned! As I recognize those laws would do more harm than good, but I will personally choose myself not to smoke and I will encourage others to voluntarily give up smoking as well)

We could also reduce head injuries by banning cycling entirely! But that wouldn't mean better outcomes for public health, or society in general. 

This is a common trap to fall into, taking a narrow focus in looking at just one specific result (such as head injuries) without considering the wider impacts.