50mw vs 100mw vs 250mw

Jason Nightall

16 minutes ago, Jason Nightall said:

Here in the UK we are limited to 50mw power output on our transmitters whereas in the US and other countries the limit is 100mw or 250mw

So my question simply is how much real world difference will it make to go over 50mw assuming I’m using a bag receiver with whip antennas?

The laws of 'Diminishing Returns' and 'Marginal Gains' apply. Lectro and Wisy RX conveniently allow operators to use higher powered Lectro TX when circumstances allow for and require such.

I am in the uk and i have switched 50mw/100mw and 250mw transmitters i have dipoles on my harness..i use 50mw 99% of the time except when in boats and transmitting across water or rock climbing and i switch to 100mw, if using more than x 4 radios i would never switch to 100mw whatever but stay at 50mw or intermodulation goes out the window if all on 100mw, so unless accross water or bouncing of rocks 50mw is your best friend..the answer is in minimising any tx hop/iem hash in bag etc..hence my receiver dipoles are on my harness..

Apparently for digital, lower power output gives as good range as higher power on analogy/hybrid wireless. The new DPR can do 25 or 50mW.

For my normal SMQV/Venue2/srB setup, I'll run all 8 channels at 100mW with minimal problems (I'm in NYC). I'll set transmitters to 250 for exterior walk and talks and some moving car stuff but I haven't had any major issues working this way.

On 7/15/2020 at 1:37 PM, r.paterson said:

if using more than x 4 radios i would never switch to 100mw whatever but stay at 50mw or intermodulation goes out the window if all on 100mw

I used 16 lectros on 100mw for a show last year and had no noticeable intermod issues. (I coordinated of course).

3 hours ago, Trey LaCroix said:

I used 16 lectros on 100mw for a show last year and had no noticeable intermod issues. (I coordinated of course).

In uk we have to use mainly between 606 and 613 mghz so thats where after 4 x units at 100mw you can get intermod. You can squueze in a couple more at 50mw..

On 7/15/2020 at 4:07 PM, Jason Nightall said:

Here in the UK we are limited to 50mw power output on our transmitters whereas in the US and other countries the limit is 100mw or 250mw

So my question simply is how much real world difference will it make to go over 50mw assuming I’m using a bag receiver with whip antennas?

No, +3dB in 100mW vs 50mW (Isn't a big difference) and +7dB 250mW vs 50mW, this is a nice difference, same amount as out of polarization vs right polarization (But the difference in consumption would be huge)

On 7/16/2020 at 3:13 AM, BAB414 said:

Apparently for digital, lower power output gives as good range as higher power on analogy/hybrid wireless. The new DPR can do 25 or 50mW.

According to its advertising, the digital radios can work with less signal to noise ratio in RF, this would be the reason