Question about union work

polishdog90

Hello,

I did a quick search and didn't find any posts talking about joining the union so I'm sorry if this is a repeat question. I'm a non-union sound mixer in Los Angeles and I was wondering if anyone had advice on how to eventually get union work. I've been able to scrape by the last 4 years as a full time freelance artist but now I'm worried that the non-union sets I'm working on are going to be unsafe with new covid safety protocols. I've worked a couple skeleton crews (3 crew members, 2 cast) recently which didn't feel unsafe but we also were not close to following the new covid safety protocols. I'm worried larger non-union sets are also going to not going to be following safety protocols and with disaster unemployment ending this month I might be forced to take unsafe jobs to pay rent.

I've never even worked on a set with more than one person (me) in the sound department and I'm not really sure what steps I need to take to work towards being on union sets. I don't have a mentor and sort of fell into this job by helping my friends do sound for their sketch comedy videos. I was working as a music engineer in a home studio (for under minimum wage) prior but I quickly started getting referrals to all of their classmates at the local comedy schools and transitioned into working on film full time. I'm mainly working on self-funded projects with a shoestring budget. I'm often paid under the table and only work a handful of 1099 gigs a year. Any advice would be greatly appreciated because at this point I'm considering moving back home to my parents when my lease expires because my current career trajectory is not sustainable in this environment.

Thanks in advance.

Find a Mentor asap. I suggest finding someone in the 695 union and buying them lunch, coffee and showing up 20 minutes early. Or you could be super savvy and email someone to setup a zoom meeting. I bet you would be surprised who would respond and oblige your request. 

For the Union, 695 is one of them, check your area. Here's the link's. 

Why Join Link

" obtain an application, call Contract Services at (818) 565-0550 or read this page on their web site www.csatf.org/rosters-lists/industry-experience-roster and review their instruction page with a link to the application form here www.csatf.org/rosters-lists/industry-experience-roster.  You’ll need to verify days worked with check stubs and a letter from the employer or payroll company."

Start with Contract Services.  There is NO joining Local #695 without being on the Contract Services roster.

Lots of hoops to jump through, and, perhaps, at least at first (not even counting COVID), less work, and a fairly hefty financial upfront cost, so consider the pros and cons about joining.  Also, if I am not out-of-date, Local #695 charges quarterly dues, not work dues, so you are paying in whether or not you are working.  (I always thought that was a bad idea.  Let those who are working carry the Local and let those that are not hold down a lesser burden)

Don't get me wrong, I am and have been for many, many years, a solid union-man.  Just being upfront about the realities.

D.

I will mirror what @Dalton Patterson said. You should really get a mentor before jumping the gun. I’ve seen a lot of people join the union in the past few years that really had a long way to go before they should have joined. And joining the union doesn’t guarantee that you’ll ever work a day on a union set, so know that you will still likely be mostly doing the same sort of work that you are if you do join. 

Networking, networking, networking.

As stated above, sign up at Contract Services first and foremost.

Get on the "roster" 

Don't join the union yet, it costs money, and they won't find you work.

When you find a union gig, being on the roster allows you to work a union shoot for 30 days before joining.

Thats 30 work days.

If you find yourself finding more union work, then join.