Does this violate Zaxcom's patents?

jawharp

I had an idea of putting a bluetooth receiver between a sanken lav and my sm transmitter.  The mic has a passthrough to the transmitter.  

I connect to the BT receiver with a cellphone and use the regular Lecrosonics RM app to set settings on the transmitter wirelessly.

Here's a video of it working: https://photos.app.goo.gl/2Ji2LvgBHrhiGwH47

Does this violate Zaxcom's patent?  

Slightly related question:  Would anyone buy this?

15 hours ago, jawharp said:

I had an idea of putting a bluetooth receiver between a sanken lav and my sm transmitter.  The mic has a passthrough to the transmitter.  

I connect to the BT receiver with a cellphone and use the regular Lecrosonics RM app to set settings on the transmitter wirelessly.

Here's a video of it working: https://photos.app.goo.gl/2Ji2LvgBHrhiGwH47

Does this violate Zaxcom's patent?  

Slightly related question:  Would anyone buy this?

Clever. If it were marketed only as a 'BT enabled connector/adapter' (and the usage was determined by the user) why would it? <– moot point. As I inferred from Jeff's comment below, Zaxcom is not the only wireless system available in the US with remote control (eg Sony and A10). How would this work with more than 1 device? I'm sure you could sell some – enough to make it worth while, even in this moment, is another thing though. Is there a risk of inducing interference with the audio when the circuitry is miniaturised and squeezed physically closer to the audio signal.

I guess you'd have to have one for each transmitter and connect to it first.  This BT receiver has its own battery, but I was trying to figure out if it was possible to power it off phantom from the SM.  It would cut down on size considerably.

Could this be made to work on only a single SM transmitter on set if there were 4-5 Lectros on set, etc? I suppose you would have to connect to each BT device individually? If New Endian made this seamless in RM and the device was properly miniaturized it is a clever solution. 

I don't think it would  infringe on any patents  --- I'm a little confused as to why you would want to do this (I guess it's also because I know very little  about Lectrosonics' so-called remote control). It seems that your set up is just to expedite the acoustic method of remote control, right? This doesn't make the wireless transmitter a recording transmitter, it just makers it able to receive acoustic commands?

34 minutes ago, Jeff Wexler said:

I'm a little confused as to why you would want to do this

Because you could do remote changes quietly, and you could do the changes at a greater distance from the actors. (am going to guess our current COVID19 working environment might be what set @jawharp down this path of thinking to arrive at this nifty device)