Lectrosonics Venue 1 antenna power switch mod?

Derek H

Has anyone here done this mod themselves and be up for offering any ideas or tips?

I’d love to get two toggle switches on the front of a venue to switch antenna power in and out but probably putting them on the rear panel would be easier. 

And here’s a dumb question.. While drilling through the case how do you keep metal cuttings from falling all over and into the circuit board? I know the painters tape trick which contains it to some degree. I suppose you could completely remove the boards but with my luck I’d probably break something in the process. 

Side question if Larry happens across this... if I use an illuminated switch does enough voltage and current pass through the antenna jumper to actually light an illuminated switch?

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/27/2020 at 9:34 PM, Derek H said:

And here’s a dumb question.. While drilling through the case how do you keep metal cuttings from falling all over and into the circuit board? I know the painters tape trick which contains it to some degree. I suppose you could completely remove the boards but with my luck I’d probably break something in the process. 

Some ways (depending largely upon your access inside the chassis) --

1) Cover the circuit boards with paper, taped in a way that serves to seal them off

2) Use a vacuum to suck up the cuttings as you drill

3) Form a "containment cup" taped to the chassis behind the hole you're drilling

You could possibly combine 1&2 or 1&3.

• 5 months later...

A question for anyone who has done this mod. How did you attach the wires to the Venue main board? Just insert tinned wires into the existing jumper sockets? Remove the sockets and wire directly to the board?

I’m thinking of using the original jumpers cut in half with wires soldered to it. Just worried about it breaking loose. 

Fool proof way would be to remove the sockets I guess. 

To further illustrate my dilemma.. the existing sockets are designed to make contact with a 0.025” square sided  jumper. Not sure how reliably it would mate with a round piece of wire. 

I'd cut the jumpers in half and solder wires to the jumper ends. Though maybe not necessary, a small O-ring around both the female connector and small wires could support the wires' weight and protect them from violent shocks. Kind of a belt and suspenders approach. The good thing about this approach is it is easily reversible and doesn't require unsoldering the connector and maybe damaging the pad and trace.

Best Regards,

Larry Fisher

• 4 weeks later...

I’ll note that better wrenches would have helped not scratch the case. And also I could have used a T-handle reamer to widen the holes just a hair for the switch. Ended up using a larger bit than necessary. 

I’ll also add I don’t think it would be hard to mount them on the front panel but chose not to. Figured you’re going to be re-patching back there anyway. 

• 2 weeks later...