Cleaning a VDB Boom Pole

PedroAdamastor

Hello everyone,
I have an old VDB boom with over 10 years old.

I disassembled it to clean, washed the tubes and collars and I will lubricate the threads with silicone grease as I read here on the forum.

I would like to know what products you use after cleaning the tubes.
Pledge polish?
Carnauba Paste Wax (Turtle Wax or other)?
Collinite 845 Liquid Insulator Wax?

Thanks

I use wax paper on the tubes. When i was a kid and my play slide was too slow, my dad said slide down a few times while sitting on wax paper. It worked really well at reducing friction even after removing the wax paper.

It does the same for my boom poles. Just rub the extended tubes for a minute or two.

P.S. I have to chuckle at your reference to a boom pole of 10 years of age as being old. Mine must be prehistoric.

16 hours ago, PMC said:

I use wax paper on the tubes. When i was a kid and my play slide was too slow, my dad said slide down a few times while sitting on wax paper. It worked really well at reducing friction even after removing the wax paper.

It does the same for my boom poles. Just rub the extended tubes for a minute or two.

Hi, PMC could you show us what your are calling wax paper please? Cultural gap between USA and France makes it that I have no idea what it really refers to and I am very curious 😌

is it the paper that is used to cook pie or tart for instance?

6 hours ago, Fred Salles said:

Hi, PMC could you show us what your are calling wax paper please? Cultural gap between USA and France makes it that I have no idea what it really refers to and I am very curious 😌

https://www.reynoldskitchens.com/products/food-storage/wax-paper/

Yes, it could be used for cooking exactly that way and still is. It's pretty much a cultural difference here as well. Wax paper hasn't been a common commodity in most kitchens for a couple of decades. It was the sandwich wrapping paper back in the day, but was replaced long ago by plastic wrap and sandwich bags. We have it in the drawer and find the odd use for it. But I would guess most younger adults never heard of it.

9 hours ago, Fred Salles said:

Hi, waxed paper pic below. Parchment paper does not work. I don't know what the substraight is made of but it is coated with wax on both sides.

waxed paper.jpg

Edited by PMC
addition info

Ok thanks to the link Jason gave I was able to see the difference between wax paper and parchment paper.

"Wax paper is made by applying a coating of wax to a thin paper sheet, which makes it easy to remove foods from the paper with ease. Parchment paper has a natural non-stick coating produced through a special “parchmentizing” process. The way they’re made means that both are microwave safe, but only parchment paper is oven safe (up to 425F)."

So we do have and use a lot of parchment paper here in France, mostly for oven cooking, but we do not have wax paper afaik.

Bon appétit indeed, although much too hot this summer to cook anything in the oven right now.

To go back to the topic I remember in the 90s VDB was mentioning the use of a hair conditioning lotion to lubricate their boom. My boom were definitely smelling like out of a fresh bath after being serviced by them. But I never was able to source the proper product unfortunately and was not willing to try out my own hair conditioner 🙂

Oh and I have to mention that since last year VDB is offering a renovating service on all their boom for a mere 130€ excl tax&shipping, changing the locking systems with the new quarter turn ones.

I had it done on my oldest L size boom (oldest is 20+ years 😉PMC) and was able to finally try it out on an documentary shoot last week and was very please with it and impressed by the rejuvenating job they have done. The new locking system works smoothly and they say it does not get blocked nor damaged much anymore as it is no longer thread / screw based.

If your ever get a chance I recommend it.