Building a Live-Looping Music Rig 'Sound Cart' - Mounting Cases to Frame

joshhp

Hey everyone,

So I was referred to this forum by someone over at Gearslutz (click here for my original forum post on this, in detail), as I'm trying to build something which may resemble the 'sound carts' which I've heard some of you may have used. 

The concept I'm creating is a cart that I can use as a live music performance station; this consists of a small computer, a touch monitor, and peripherals to handle my user input via keyboard, audio I/O, and foot control. I'm thinking of doing this pretty DIY by getting a hand truck such as this one, and then mounting a case (like this one, with the lids hinged to the box), with my gear mounted inside the case to keep it in place, and the case mounted to the frame which can be raised to standing height or sitting height.

Attaching images of the very rough concept to this post:

LiveRigView1.1.pngLiveRigView1.3.png

With these details in mind, my questions to you all are:

1. How could I mount the case to the frame such that it can easily be removed and re-attached?
  2. How can I mount the items to the inside of the case so that they stay in place during travel?

I'd love to hear your perspectives on this & potential different methods you may have in mind for mounting things. 

Let me know if there are any questions I can answer, and thanks in advance!

-Josh

Instead of a hand  truck consider using the T-slot extruded aluminum systems that many carts are made of. This is a very versatile system that can be used to make up almost any configuration and can easily be modified as your needs change. Go to Youtube and search for sound carts to see some examples. You can also go to this site's gallery (upper left corner of main page - click browse and then gallery) to see many different examples. The t-slot systems are a great way to go.

There are many t-slot vendors. One of my favorites is https://www.tnutz.com/

On youtube and also in the gallery, you will see examples of road cases and other systems mounted to the t-slot frame so that equipment can be attached and removed as required.

Here is an example of a road case on a shelf. I don't know what is holding it in place.

9 hours ago, Paul F said:

Instead of a hand  truck consider using the T-slot extruded aluminum systems that many carts are made of. This is a very versatile system that can be used to make up almost any configuration and can easily be modified as your needs change. Go to Youtube and search for sound carts to see some examples. You can also go to this site's gallery (upper left corner of main page - click browse and then gallery) to see many different examples. The t-slot systems are a great way to go.

There are many t-slot vendors. One of my favorites is https://www.tnutz.com/

On youtube and also in the gallery, you will see examples of road cases and other systems mounted to the t-slot frame so that equipment can be attached and removed as required.

Here is an example of a road case on a shelf. I don't know what is holding it in place.

Pretty cool, thanks for sharing that!

I thought about using some sort of modular DIY pipe system, or something like that T-nutz, but I need to be able to extend and lower the height of the unit so I can use while sitting or while standing. Do you know if it's possible to create something with telescoping ability from one of these systems?

• 3 weeks later...