Greetings from Oklahoma!

Trey

Howdy folks!

I am Trey from out in the middle of nowhere in Oklahoma. I joined the message board to meet other sound folks, as there are not many around my parts. Currently trying to build up my gear. Just researching my options and such. 

Hope that everyone is doing well!

Trey

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/10/2020 at 7:04 PM, Chris Sanchez said:

Good to see you here. I am in the Texas Panhandle. Not many location sound people here either. I run a couple of small packages 

Awesome! Where about in the panhandle? I have been to Canadian before.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, 480sound said:

Big film headed your way "Killers of the Flower Moon" look it up and get on it.

Is that back on? Oh look: Three weeks ago from an Oklahoma TV station:

Filming expected to resume for ‘Killers of the Flower Moon’ in Pawhuska

I read the book earlier this year. Liked it a lot. Highly recommended. From the author's website:

Killers of the Flower Moon

"In the 1920s, the richest people per capita in the world were members of the Osage Indian nation in Oklahoma. After oil was discovered beneath their land, they rode in chauffeured automobiles, built mansions, and sent their children to study in Europe.

Then, one by one, the Osage began to be killed off. The family of an Osage woman, Mollie Burkhart, became a prime target. Her relatives were shot and poisoned. And it was just the beginning, as more and more members of the tribe began to die under mysterious circumstances."

Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
Where the wav-in wheat can sure smell sweet
When the wind comes right behind the rain
Oklahoma ev'ry night my honey lamb and I
Sit alone and talk and watch a hawk
Makin lazy circles in the sky

Sorry couldn't resist.  A really great state.

• 5 months later...

real good if you want to work for 4 to 500 per day with gear on a movie. There is other work too but the market is maturing at a glacial pace. I watched the same thing play out in Austin Texas during the late 80's and 90's. 

Many of the struggling legacy Oklahoma crew members are having trouble getting the right pay and there is a resistance to any new blood. The crew we have fought  hard to establish themselves here. I am a relative new comer to OKC and that a was 10 years ago. One of the other local sound mixers will not even answer my phone calls. The other's really keep their distance. 

I recently finished a movie with one of the other mixers as a boom op and he was great. Not very often is work as rewarding as that movie. It's been a long time coming. Looking forward to more collaboration but I am not holding my breath. 

Too often freelancers start to think they own one market or another and get away with it to a degree, it always leads to destructive paranoid thinking. 

9 hours ago, newzhack said:

real good if you want to work for 4 to 500 per day with gear on a movie. There is other work too but the market is maturing at a glacial pace. I watched the same thing play out in Austin Texas during the late 80's and 90's. 

Many of the struggling legacy Oklahoma crew members are having trouble getting the right pay and there is a resistance to any new blood. The crew we have fought  hard to establish themselves here. I am a relative new comer to OKC and that a was 10 years ago. One of the other local sound mixers will not even answer my phone calls. The other's really keep their distance. 

I recently finished a movie with one of the other mixers as a boom op and he was great. Not very often is work as rewarding as that movie. It's been a long time coming. Looking forward to more collaboration but I am not holding my breath. 

Too often freelancers start to think they own one market or another and get away with it to a degree, it always leads to destructive paranoid thinking. 

Yeah I don't really know anyone else. I am just getting started in sound for film. My past experience is in the music, and live entertainment industry. As well as my far share of studio work. My cousin has owned a studio outside of Nashville up until this year. So it has been pretty rough for all sound folks I would assume. Hope that 2021 is a good one for sure!

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/21/2021 at 10:56 AM, newzhack said:

I'm sorry that  such a small market is divisive instead of supportive, but I guess I kind of understand.  I'm also in a relatively busy but small market.  I hope it gets bigger and better and you get more sweet features.

12 hours ago, ElanorR said:

I'm sorry that  such a small market is divisive instead of supportive, but I guess I kind of understand.  I'm also in a relatively busy but small market.  I hope it gets bigger and better and you get more sweet features.

I think this is all normal for emerging markets. The guys who work cheap are busy and the others are angry. I have seen this forever in the freelance market. I spent 20 years in the Austin Texas market from 1986. 
I try to not even think about these things, work comes my way then great. It does seem that up and down of the freelance market is something that has no logic to it. 

22 hours ago, newzhack said:

I think this is all normal for emerging markets. The guys who work cheap are busy and the others are angry. I have seen this forever in the freelance market. I spent 20 years in the Austin Texas market from 1986. 
I try to not even think about these things, work comes my way then great. It does seem that up and down of the freelance market is something that has no logic to it. 

Even the live sound industry has been the same here. I was having to produce my own events just to keep the gear working. There is always going to been someone trying to low bid everyone just to get the gig. I can only imagine how rough 2020 was for live sound companies!

Hello from another Oklahoma newbie. I'm east of Tulsa out by Chouteau. But I grew up in and graduated high school from Stillwater, went to school at TCC and TU. 

I'm mostly a live sound and event recording guy but looking to branch out into film and TV sound work. Before the pandemic hit, I was on tour as the Head Audio for the Blue Man Group North American Tour. Not sure if that tour will come back though. 

There's apparently a bunch of productions schedule to happen in Oklahoma over the next few months. Also trying to get on Killers of the Flower Moon, but haven't heard anything back. I don't think they have started filming yet. Last I heard they were still building and prepping sets. There's an FX TV show being filmed in the Okmulgee area also, Reservation Dogs, written and directed by Sterling Harjo. 

• 6 months later...