Weatherproof Case/Awning for Outdoor Mic

brightnight

I’ve posted here a few times for advice on my audio recording requirements but trying to finalize the last parts of my audio setup. I purchased for testing and plan on using a Diety S-Mic 2 (a moisture resistant mic) with a foam windscreen connected to a preamp that’s fed into a remote motion activate camera and will be recording video. I will visit the site once a month to swap memory cards, but the setup will be deployed 365 days a year..so wind, rain, snow, heat, etc. The camera and preamp will be in a waterproof case but the mic will be outside in the elements.

A microphone technical support agent suggested that I need to create something that stops the mic and windshield from getting wet but didn't have any suggestions on how to do that. I’m wondering how or what types of types of material I should use to create something that would protect the mic from getting wet while allowing me to record great sound. I can build a weather screen above the mic and run tests but don’t have the best experience for audio quality even though I need to record high quality audio. I was wondering if some type of cloth/canvas or tarp awning above the mic would allow sound to travel through but stop rain and snow. Since this is located in the woods I have the added challenge of trying to make it as inconspicuous as possible. Wouldn't want to make it too simple :)  Any advice appreciated.

I would try to build a roof out of, say, some plastic material. Build it so that the water can run off to the sides. Cover the roof in the filter material used in speakers or cooker vents. Several layers, I‘d guess. This material is also available in black so that might work. Also lay some of down where the water drops off your roof. I have only ever used something like that for short periods of time where it works well, but I don’t know how it will fare in long periods of heavy rain. 
There is also some material available that’s used on the roof of sound studios, but I don’t know what that is and it’s likely to be more expensive, but possibly more effective, too

Some Ripstop kite materials are waterproof and would be more acoustically transparent then a more solid option. I use it for cart covers etc. It needs to be pulled taunt to avoid flapping noise. If you want to record in the rain Constantin's suggestions of some sort of filter material to reduce droplet sounds, sounds sound. It doesn't snow in my part of the world so I'm not sure how that material would behave in such conditions.

Besides the shelter, a foam won't be enough in those conditions. I'd strongly recommend a blimp of some sort with a fur and possibly a layer material between the two coated in Nikwax. The Nikwax will make any water bead and run off quicker. 

Interesting challenge.

Set something up and see how long it last's. I bet not too long. Going from cold to hot kills most components quickly. Make test recordings and post them here for us to criticize and eviscerate. That criticism will be valuable information. 

Also be aware that someone hiking/walking that see's this object might steal it. I suggest a laptop cable type lock in addition to a small contact/ info card. Maybe even lie and say "this device has GPS tracking"…

Someone else posted asking about same type of project and I suggested an actual outdoor weatherproof microphone. They are used for environmental readings at airports. If you need it, I can scrounge up the link. 

What I think would be ideal would be a small case that is designed to be ready to use. All the treatment and waterproofing is built into the pelican case so it can all be in one package. Maybe a small apple box sized box, painted to look like the grass and leaves? Play around with gluing leaves and grass to the box. You could have allot of fun with this project. Test the small box in your own backyard using a garden hose! Use a lawn watering device and see how it sounds, make adjustments from there. You might make a perfect enclosure on the first attempt, or you might not...

image.jpeg

Please show us all pictures of what you come up with!

Best, 

D

image.jpeg

A rycote blimp with a rycote duck strapped on top may suffice.

Even without a duck, the rycote can take a lot of punishment. I've encountered more than one that has been left exposed at a seldom used sport ground for a year or more, to find the mic (416) still quite happy inside.

The duck offers a bit more protection again to the rycote itself from the heaviest deluges. Also, because the rycote doesn't get saturated on top, you don't get the drip drip drip sound of every raindrop on your recording.  Should also be less conspicuous. 

https://mymic.rycote.com/products/accessories-parts/duck-raincover/duck-raincover-7/

• 1 month later...