2 Comtek lines - antenna solution

Attila

Hello everybody.

I want to send to Comtek lines. One for my boom op and the other for the rest of the crew.

Idea one: I use two seperate antennas (Lectrosonics  SMA600)  for each line.

Idea two: I combine both antenna signals into one antenna splitter (Sennheiser ASP212 passive) and send the signal out via one antenna. This idea is my prefered one. Less clutter with cables. But do the two signals alter each other when sent through one antenna?

How do you do it? And recommendations and experiences?

3 hours ago, Attila said:

Hello everybody.

I want to send to Comtek lines. One for my boom op and the other for the rest of the crew.

Idea one: I use two seperate antennas (Lectrosonics  SMA600)  for each line.

Idea two: I combine both antenna signals into one antenna splitter (Sennheiser ASP212 passive) and send the signal out via one antenna. This idea is my prefered one. Less clutter with cables. But do the two signals alter each other when sent through one antenna?

How do you do it? And recommendations and experiences?

Two considerations: Number one you will lose 3 dB of each signal in the passive splitter. This may not make much difference if the distances are moderate. Number two the splitter will protect the output stages from the opposite signal but expect some intermod. 2F1 - F2 and 2F2 - F1. Just make sure you don't use those frequencies for any other device. You will get some intermod with two antennas anyway so your one antenna scheme is pretty much a wash.

Best Regards,

Larry Fisher

I’ve tried the combiner method you’re suggesting and it works. I didn’t test it extensively compared to using separate antennas which is the more commonly used setup. 

might want to double check the spec sheet for that Sennheiser splitter to make sure it works down to 216 MHz

6 hours ago, ryanpeds said:

Unless you have the remote audio 216 kit you can’t use the lectro SNA antenna with comteks. Wrong frequency range. Just use 2 comtek antennas. That’s what I do and I assume what others do as well. 

The transmitters are no Comteks. Just called them Comtek because everybody knows what Comteks are for. In German you say - Mithöre - (translated = listen to)

My transmitter is a Sennheiser SK 300 in the band at 600 mHz. And it works fine with the Lectro Dipol. 

I tried to send them trough to splitter. As Larry mentioned,  the range is less, as with two seperate antennas.

Please excuse slight off-topic question.

Re: Sennheiser half rack TX.

I've heard that if you run the TX in stereo mode this reduced RF power output relative to mono mode. Is this correct? Anyone else heard this?

There is no mention of this in the manual which leads me to believe this info is incorrect.

Thanks

10 hours ago, Soundwil said:

I've heard that if you run the TX in stereo mode this reduced RF power output relative to mono mode. Is this correct? Anyone else heard this?

There is no mention of this in the manual which leads me to believe this info is incorrect.

Thanks

I have never heard of this. It will never be more than 50mW in any case (unless they have higher mW versions for outside the EU). 
Also in Mono mode you‘ll have to switch off the pilot tone in the receiver, which is not ideal, but it could just be tue reason why range might he slightly extended? I don’t know...

11 hours ago, Soundwil said:

Thanks

thats what I have heard too. Stereo is half the range than in Mono. I have a SKP100 for Director‘s IFB and had the rack for the Booms - the BoomOps were complaining more often about range. Switched to SKP ...

15 hours ago, Attila said:

The transmitters are no Comteks. Just called them Comtek because everybody knows what Comteks are for. In German you say - Mithöre - (translated = listen to)

My transmitter is a Sennheiser SK 300 in the band at 600 mHz. And it works fine with the Lectro Dipol. 

I tried to send them trough to splitter. As Larry mentioned,  the range is less, as with two seperate antennas.

You should have clarified that you were using sennheiser IEMs. That’s a huge difference when talking about antenna splits and antennas.