Does anyone have any dialogue audio samples of a Schoeps CMC1 or CMC6 with an MK4?

Paul Garafola

Does anyone have any dialogue audio samples that I can hear... of a Schoeps CMC1 or CMC6 with an MK4 (not a 41)?

(Preferably at 12"-14" from subject)

If you do have anything to share, do you remember if you were using a Cut-1 or Cut-60 or using a low cut on the mixer?

Thanks, in advance.  Much appreciated.

Paul

I recorded an interview a number of years ago with an MK4 on a CMC6. If you don’t mind a religious video you can look it up on YouTube, Patterns of Light. It’s a 3 part series and all 3 have the interview from that mic. I would be surprised if I have the original audio files anymore, but that should give an idea of the sound. 

3 minutes ago, ryanpeds said:

I recorded an interview a number of years ago with an MK4 on a CMC6. If you don’t mind a religious video you can look it up on YouTube, Patterns of Light. It’s a 3 part series and all 3 have the interview from that mic. I would be surprised if I have the original audio files anymore, but that should give an idea of the sound. 

THANK YOU, Ryan!  Any recollection if you had a Cut-1 or a Cut-60 on it???

5 minutes ago, Trey LaCroix said:

Happy to make some for you if you like. Have a cmc1 and an MK4.

That would be amazing, Trey.

If you could hold it or boom from above about 12"-14", that would mimic how I typically place my mic for stationary booming on a C-stand (for actors' film auditions + interviews, etc.)

I use a CMC1 with a Cut-1 and an MK41 and LOVE this set-up. 

But I've still very curious about the MK4, which I haven't tried (obviously). 🙂

I personally think that the 2 capsules sound very similar when properly positioned. I used the MK4 in that instance because he liked to move forward and backward and side to side a little so it gave me a wider pattern for that without losing his voice on the sides of the pattern of the MK41. I thought it worked really well. 

1 hour ago, ryanpeds said:

I personally think that the 2 capsules sound very similar when properly positioned. I used the MK4 in that instance because he liked to move forward and backward and side to side a little so it gave me a wider pattern for that without losing his voice on the sides of the pattern of the MK41. I thought it worked really well. 

Oh for sure it did.  I'm considering the MK4 for the same reasons.  I mostly tape actors' auditions for film and tv they're often moving around bit and I thought the MK4's slighter wider pattern may be a good option for me.  Your footage really helped me.  It sounds fantastic. So, thanks again.

I mixed a film last year where the majority of the time, it was boomed with an upgraded cmc4->cmc5 by Pete Verrando. I usually use mk41s but in this instance, the majority of the film was in a very confined space, so I needed to use a polar pattern that would have a wider patters and no back lobe, so I used an mk4. I thought it sounded fantastic and was very pleased with the results. Unfortunately I can’t share the files, but if you are trying to make a comparison between the two capsules, I would say that if you are talking about a manufacturer of this level of quality, you have little to worry about. Now, if you were trying to put lipstick on a pig by using a budget setup, that would be a very different story!

1 hour ago, JonG said:

I mixed a film last year where the majority of the time, it was boomed with an upgraded cmc4->cmc5 by Pete Verrando. I usually use mk41s but in this instance, the majority of the film was in a very confined space, so I needed to use a polar pattern that would have a wider patters and no back lobe, so I used an mk4. I thought it sounded fantastic and was very pleased with the results. Unfortunately I can’t share the files, but if you are trying to make a comparison between the two capsules, I would say that if you are talking about a manufacturer of this level of quality, you have little to worry about. Now, if you were trying to put lipstick on a pig by using a budget setup, that would be a very different story!

Thanks, Jon!

On 8/10/2020 at 1:17 PM, ryanpeds said:

Hi Ryan,

Did you also record this one below?

MK4, too?

Thank you Paul for inspiring me to use my MK4 today. And also sorry for not sending you a sample earlier (last weeks was busy). Here is part of a recording for a doc I'm working on. Both cameras were fairly tight so I was able to get it right in there as you can see in the photo. Worked beautifully in my opinion. He was a bit of a bobblehead. It will definitely see more action from now on.

Schoeps MK4.wav

IMG_3569.JPG

1 hour ago, Trey LaCroix said:

Thank you Paul for inspiring me to use my MK4 today. And also sorry for not sending you a sample earlier (last weeks was busy). Here is part of a recording for a doc I'm working on. Both cameras were fairly tight so I was able to get it right in there as you can see in the photo. Worked beautifully in my opinion. He was a bit of a bobblehead. It will definitely see more action from now on.

Schoeps MK4.wav

Wow. Thanks, Trey!  Beautiful and natural. It sounded great.

I just bought an MK4 (using with a CMC 1 + Cut 1) and have done a bunch of dialogue tests in my small home studio + a few film audition sessions with it.

Here's my assessment, based only on my personal needs.

When I was testing it solo, it sounds absolutely AMAZING. But... the improvement of sound (over my MK41, in my opinion) isn't worth the additional noise floor when using MixAssist with my 4060 lav that has to be lower than the actors' Schoeps mic. I was aware of the different polar patterns between the MK4 and MK41, but I didn't anticipate at all that the noise floor difference would be a deal-breaker for me in this particular situation.  Unfortunately it is.  I'll be returning the MK4 and sticking with my MK41.

THANK YOU ALL for your valuable input.  I really appreciate it.

Interesting that the noise floor is an issue being that the specs are almost identical between the the MK4 and the MK41.  I don't quite understand the MixAssist reference.  Is it the combination of the MK4 and the Cut 1 that increases the noise floor?  Or is the wider pattern picking up something environmentally that the MK41 isn't? Just got me curious as I might want to add that capsule someday.

Trey, that interview sounds really great!  

19 minutes ago, berniebeaudry said:

Interesting that the noise floor is an issue being that the specs are almost identical between the the MK4 and the MK41.  I don't quite understand the MixAssist reference.  Is it the combination of the MK4 and the Cut 1 that increases the noise floor?  Or is the wider pattern picking up something environmentally that the MK41 isn't? Just got me curious as I might want to add that capsule someday.

Trey, that interview sounds really great!  

Hey Bernie.

The MixAssist is what I'm using on the Sound Devices MixPre3 mixer.  It's like Duggan's Automix.  When using multiple mics,  it attenuates the mics not being used.

Yes, the wider pattern of the MK4 captures slightly more environmental noise than the MK41 in my small studio here in NYC.  (I tape actors' auditions for Films & TV)

I've been using the MK41 capsule on the actors; and as the reader I use a DPA 4060 at a lower volume. I've been using these with Sound Devices' MixAssist activated (since it was first released.)  It all works perfectly. 

Then, the MK4 got on my radar recently and I was very curious about that one, since the actors often move about a bit and I thought the wider pattern would be a great.

However, when I tried the MK4, the little bit of extra noise the mic was capturing wound up being an issue :

Every time the actor spoke, the background noise was very apparent. Every time I spoke, it the background noise was more quiet. 

It was very noticeable with the MK4, whereas it was barely noticeable with the MK41.

NOW....if I was recording doc or corporate interviews on a more regular basis, I would definitely keep that MK4 on hand.  

The sound is absolutely b e a u t i f u l .

It's just that for my specific purposes right now, it would be sitting in the drawer 95% of the time.