Best camera sound truck, hate, love

foliver

Hi, well, just to exchange thoughts about camera and sound trucks.

Where I live, sound, camera, and DIT, we are all in the same truck ( for standard series, films).

Layouts are the more or less the same.

At the left wall, in the middle shelves. At the right side: Magliners. Center: corridor.

Hidraulic back to lift, door in one side with little ladder

For two cameras series or films, DIT have his business in the front part ( not the cab, ja!) , camera in the middle, and sound in the back.

We share an area to charge batteries, in the sound-camera frontier.

Sound blankets horizontals above the cart, in some custom supports.

Backpacks are always a problem, worst if it's winter and mud...

All in all, it works.

Floor is cold for the winter nap, so a mat or foam pad is a must, for summer is fine.

I don't have pictures now, but do you want to jump and share your experiences and pictures?

I'll try to find one

Fabian

Ram ProMaster 1500, low roof.  I'm 5'8 (on my tippy toes), so the low roof works as I can stand up straight, which is important as I get older.  Any taller, and the low roof model wouldn't work.  My 6'4" boom op has to stoop alot, but he's young 😁

Pros:

square shaped van, so more square footage than many of the others

well thought out wiring, holes, etc for customization by the owner...basically, built to be modified

need a divider for security and safety...getting the right divider is picky, and not cheap

Cons:

Only 2 people in the cab, but you can buy a double seat for the passenger so it could seat three, but you have to pay extra

ProMasters are light on extras...no cruise control

backup camera is waaaay up...you see wide, but not much detail

truck 3.jpg

truck1.jpg

truck2.jpg

Never room in the camera truck anymore, especially on multi camera series. I work out of my 7x14 trailer. I thinks it 7’ high so plenty of space to stand up. I’ve been thinking of buying a new trailer that is longer as I am constantly running out of space. 18-20’ I think would be great. I’ll have to take some pictures of it. I’ve done a lot of custom work on it. Full battery and power system, ramp upgrades, A/C and heat pump unit, work tops, drawers, shelves and cabinets, e track for strapping, hooks. I can hang a hammock when unloaded for lunchtime naps.  

Yeah, if they have a camera truck it is because they have a lot of gear and several people in the dept.  Not only am I not welcome for any more than a visit, the DITs need their own rigs now--esp on 6k+ multicam days where they may need to stay overnight or very late to download everything.  Esp on RED shoots, there are so many camera cases that the ACs have to contend with traffic jams just within their own dept.  In recent years I've tried to avoid trucks, going small and stealthy!  I've gotten small enough that I can often "Ramora" park with the camera truck, since I don't take up a whole parking space.

On 8/12/2020 at 5:11 AM, thenannymoh said:

Ram ProMaster 1500, low roof.  I'm 5'8 (on my tippy toes), so the low roof works as I can stand up straight, which is important as I get older.  Any taller, and the low roof model wouldn't work.  My 6'4" boom op has to stoop alot, but he's young 😁

Pros:

square shaped van, so more square footage than many of the others

well thought out wiring, holes, etc for customization by the owner...basically, built to be modified

need a divider for security and safety...getting the right divider is picky, and not cheap

Cons:

Only 2 people in the cab, but you can buy a double seat for the passenger so it could seat three, but you have to pay extra

ProMasters are light on extras...no cruise control

backup camera is waaaay up...you see wide, but not much detail

truck 3.jpg

truck1.jpg

truck2.jpg

Do you get vehicle rental for this?