Lectro MM400C

Arnold F.

I wish to buy an extra transmitter (by extra I mean not with a receiver) and I'm wondering if I should consider the MM400C to have for shoots that are particularly wet or sweaty.  My concern is that, in situations that where I don't need a water-resistant TX, I'll find it impractical and will regret getting it - I'm always seeing used ones for sale and usually infer that the seller was moving it because he found that the more difficult control access made it kind of a pain.  Also, I'm wondering if the various home-made and store-bought waterproofing solutions available for the UM400 variants are more useful and, ultimately, more cost-effective for the few times one needs them.

A.

" My concern is that, in situations that where I don't need a water-resistant TX, I'll find it impractical and will regret getting it  "

another question answered...

everyone has there own answers to these questions!

In my case, it isn't a `problem; I have not found it impractical, and I don't spend that much time dealing with the controls, which, BTW, I do not find to be a problem to use; I only wish it had been available years earlier. it even works well when there is no moisture concerns.

I have to agree...

I have a couple MM400c's -- totally love 'em.  They are a little more difficult to tweak in a pinch, but certainly not to the point of letting it be the deciding factor in getting one or not -- if you're doing any really extended wet work you should have one or two -- they become well worth the investment.  The problem with wrapping UM400's in condoms, etc. is that if there is any kind of water pressure involved, the seal can be compromised and you run the risk of damaging your gear -- I know people do it all the time, but I wouldn't -- I'd much rather use the MM's.

That said, the biggest "drawback" I've noticed is that the RF range is dependent upon the output level setting -- the lower the setting, the less range it has -- I'd recommend the "red-dot" version of Sanken's COS-11 (if you like the COS-11's) which as I understand is designed to work with the MM's to alleviate this gain issue (you can crank up the tx output a little hotter to get the added RF gain without running into overmod. issues.)  Otherwise, the Countryman EMW is another great mic for wet work (looks a lot like a Tram.)  In any case, whatever mic's you want to use with the MM's will have to be wired for them -- something to consider if you're not too crazy about having specialty inventory like that sitting around in a drawer on your follow-cart for a good portion of it's life.

Overall, they're great purpose-built Lectro transmitters -- they've saved my ass several times now and I'd never even consider selling them.  I too use them in "dry" situations now and then -- when my 5 SM's are all out and I can't use a UM because it's too big -- it's great to have another couple of smaller tx's on the cart.

One other thing that did just occurred to me is that they can get pretty hot after awhile -- though not necessarily a bad thing in the winter, it's something to consider : )

--tt

I'd like to add to everyone's comments about the MM Transmitters. I had been using Sm's, until a gig came along that i needed waterproof Tx's. I bought some MM400c's thinking i would use them and then resell them, but I loved them so much, I sold my SM's instead and work exclusively with MM's. They are only slightly larger the the SM's and they are bullet proof. I had 2 of my SM's display / button surfaces die on me, and I had to send them back for repairs. But with the MM's, there's no such worries. Physical switches and dials for the controls (albeit magneticaly controlled on off switch) which to me feels more reliable. I've also run into a situation on a reality show where a contestant "accidentaly" / on purpose,  kept turning off her mic pack. No worries, I just powered up her MM, and removed the magnetic switch. presto, no off switch for her to "accidentaly" turn off.

I have six of them now, and they are my main Tx's. Only wish is that Lectro could have included the "remote" capabilities of the SMa, so i could adjust my MM400c's with the RM remote. Maybe on the MM400d ?

I will only use the SuperZ's for AA's, I think they offer the best performance for my needs and they hold a charge longer than any other rechargeable. I have tested just about every AA available and I think these are the closest to throw-a-way-s. If interested I have test results on my blog under "Gadget Corner"

Scott

web.me.com/farroutpro

hi scott,i'm always check your website,thanks for those useful reviews

Cloud

The few occasions I've used the MM400's have been disappointing. I've actually destroyed 3 of them. I've started to question whether they are actually waterproof, or just splash/sweat proof.

I used one, double wrapped in a condom, placed on the back of a helmet. Talent was in the ocean. Somehow salt water got through the 2 condoms and completely destroyed the Tx.

I did another shoot where the EP wanted to capture dialogue out in the surf, and wanted me to rent waterproof wireless. I warned them of my experience with the MM400's and proceeded with rental. Destroyed both of the MM400's in a matter of minutes.

Also, if people have keys or coins in their pockets I've found it affects the signal. Also, no LF rolloff is a deal breaker for me. Too much line transmission from the lav.

I'm currently using 2 x UM250 and 2 x UM400's. I think I'll try the SM's next...

I will join the chorus of praise for MM400.  Lectro changed the antenna because they thought the SMA antenna was vulnerable to egress of water.  I have a bunch of B's and a couple of A's and have had no problems even though they some have been submerged.  Get'em quick before the rumored price increase.  I have Countryman B6 red band as well as COS-11 and DPA for them-- always red band. So I agree with Scott and others that this is best Lectro TX all around, esp for doc work.

And when your eyes get bad you just have to count the clicks on the rotary switches.  It's also by far the best and burliest clip of any Lectro TX.  I have SM's because you just have to have them sometimes, imo, but MM is most fieldworthy.

PG

Good to know, Jason.  Sorry you've had so many probs.  I have had plenty of Lectro gear fail, but MM has been pretty reliable.  I have ten and only one is a C model.  No saltwater dunking, but plenty of sweat and a drop in a toilet (actor swore it was clean water!) and a jump in a lake.  You got me thinking I should change my seals to be safe. 

Maybe B6 is best partly due to lack of a lot of low end.  Hmmm...interesting.  I also use MM now for wireless boom and it sounds absolutely fantastic with rolloff before the TX.  Must also attenuate the boom signal, but PSC Universal supply does both and it works great; even with 8050.

PG

There is every possibility that I did something wrong... but I was quite aware of not over tightening anything so as to make sure the O-Rings weren't squeezed. In the 3 times I used the MM's in salt water, they worked for 10-15 minutes then died. As soon as they came out I gave them a freshwater bath, dried them off, then removed the batteries. In one instance, there was almost immediate salt water corrosion around the battery compartment.

I recently tried to rent some MMs for an ocean shoot from a well-known LA rental house.  I did full disclosure that this was for a salt-water (surfing) shot.  The rental guy told me that if the MM was exposed to any salt water at all that I bought the unit--that they only allowed them to be in fresh water.  Is this the norm?

Philip Perkins

I recently tried to rent some MMs for an ocean shoot from a well-known LA rental house.  I did full disclosure that this was for a salt-water (surfing) shot.  The rental guy told me that if the MM was exposed to any salt water at all that I bought the unit--that they only allowed them to be in fresh water.  Is this the norm?

Philip Perkins

That may explain why I killed the MM's I rented... I was never warned not to use them in salt water

" There is every possibility that I did something wrong... but I was quite aware of not over tightening anything so as to make sure the O-Rings weren't squeezed. "

this could be your problem: the openings do need to be tightened; O-rings are designed to work under pressure, and in fact it is the pressure that keeps them sealed!

and, BTW, have you spoken with (contacted) Lectrosonics about this ???

I have used them (MM's) very successfully in a couple of oceans! (they need to be thoroughly rinsed before unsealing them, and of course the range goes to zero if the antenna is submerged!

Have owned two MM400's for some years.

Great for my expedition documentaries, also a good size when working with children

on dramas and commercial shoots.

I have Trams and B3s (more rugged than B6's but also water resistant)

Have seen some corrosion but like any equipment cleaning and attention is necessary!

Mike

www.mikewestgatesound.co.nz