Lectro frequency planning

Dave Pullmer

Moving a few pieces of my wireless around due to the recent spectrum sell off and have been debating whether I should keep wireless in both A1 and B1 - which could give me more flexibility for finding open freqs, or consolidate all my wireless to B1, which could give me the option of running band pass filters when I'm in cart mode to reduce unwanted noise. I see benefits on both sides, and would be curious to what others think about operating in a more narrow spectrum which would make filters possible, or going with more spectrum to work in.

Perhaps lectro will release full wideband wireless at some point in the future (fingers crossed), but I can't be waiting around for that ;)

52 minutes ago, Dave Pullmer said:

Perhaps lectro will release full wideband wireless at some point in the future (fingers crossed), but I can't be waiting around for that ;)

Lectro does have 470-608mhz transmitters now in their digital range.  That being said, there are currently no SM series transmitters that utilize it though.

Not sure how many channels you run but it never hurts to have at least a couple in a range that maybe you don't use a ton, however if you travel you'll be glad you have it.  Here in Los Angeles everyone basically had to shift down to the A1 block due to the 600mhz repack (Block 19 here seems to be the best block these days) but I still kept a couple of Block 21 transmitters because even though they work pretty meh Downtown LA, they usually work OK elsewhere and when I travel, sometimes my Block 19 stuff is a lot tougher to manage (for instance, I was filming in San Diego recently and Block 19 there can be tricky so I rolled out the Block 21 stuff).

4 hours ago, BAB414 said:

Does the D2 do both NA and NU modes?

yes it does

8 hours ago, Dave Pullmer said:

what others think about operating in a more narrow spectrum which would make filters possible

Wisycom has some great filter/amps out, the BFA2. It has various types of filters and you can set the band-pass filter as you need it, in addition to high- and lowpass filters. It’s not 100% user-setable, but there are different very useful options which you can switch to, adapting to different rf environments. They also come with a built-in rf amp which ranges from -12 to +27dB!

Bit pricey, but very useful

16 hours ago, codyman said:

Lectro does have 470-608mhz transmitters now in their digital range.  That being said, there are currently no SM series transmitters that utilize it though.

Ya I’ve seen that, seems like down the line they will eventually have full wideband TXs we will actually use. I feel this is the way to go moving forward with more spectrum potentially on the chopping block - Wisycom has that but no mixers in my market are using them.

9 hours ago, Constantin said:
Wisycom has some great filter/amps out, the BFA2. It has various types of filters and you can set the band-pass filter as you need it, in addition to high- and lowpass filters. It’s not 100% user-setable, but there are different very useful options which you can switch to, adapting to different rf environments. They also come with a built-in rf amp which ranges from -12 to +27dB!

The Wisy antennae have definitely been on my radar, a tuneable filter is very handy as opposed to the fixed filter offerings from lectro/RF venue - right now I’m using a diversity fin when on a cart. 

My initial query was more along the lines of seeing if people preferred having their wireless in a tighter spectrum allowing them to fit them all in a filter when needed, but it seems that more people opt for them being more spread out to have more options to choose from.

19 minutes ago, Dave Pullmer said:

Ya I’ve seen that, seems like down the line they will eventually have full wideband TXs we will actually use. I feel this is the way to go moving forward with more spectrum potentially on the chopping block - Wisycom has that but no mixers in my market are using them.

The Wisy antennae have definitely been on my radar, a tuneable filter is very handy as opposed to the fixed filter offerings from lectro/RF venue - right now I’m using a diversity fin when on a cart. 

My initial query was more along the lines of seeing if people preferred having their wireless in a tighter spectrum allowing them to fit them all in a filter when needed, but it seems that more people opt for them being more spread out to have more options to choose from.

I'm using a Venue2 in A and B band, and using 75% single block transmitters. I find this "hybrid" way of working to give me enough flexibility and is a good way to make the full transition into wideband.

6 hours ago, Dave Pullmer said:

Yes, but I was pointing out that you can have both: spreading out the spectrum and have good filtering. 
in the end I think keeping it narrow will yield the best performance. Until very recently I kept everything on block 24 and 25, coupled with Lectro UFM50 on those blocks. Rock solid

56 minutes ago, Constantin said:

Yes, but I was pointing out that you can have both: spreading out the spectrum and have good filtering. 
in the end I think keeping it narrow will yield the best performance. Until very recently I kept everything on block 24 and 25, coupled with Lectro UFM50 on those blocks. Rock solid

I don't use filtration, but I'm looking into filtering my IFB transmissions so they don't "bleed" out into my receivers.