Audio Technica BP4025 & Rycote BBG?

GuyInLyonFrance

10 hours ago, TVPostSound said:

I use the 21mm BBG with my 4025.

One caveat, it's not good when moving.

The BBG is secured only by a ring of rubber around the body of the mic, and hits the mic when moved up and down.

Otherwise, its very good, as any Rycote blimp.

Any ideas for a small blimp that would work with the 4025? I'd rather not get something as big as the Rode blimp.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I bought the 21mm BBG and it was super tight on the BP4025... would take an hour to fit mic all the way in
So I exchanged for the 22mm BBG... much quicker to fit all the way since their is a little more play in the rubber ring.

The BBG cover does just come into contact with the top / front of the mic, especially if you are not static, but I wonder if there is a solution ?
Well, probably this could be solved by removing and inverting the rubber ring on the BBG... but a delicate operation that could damage the BBG ?
I wonder if anyone has done this and what does Rycote say ? In my opinion the BBG is not mobile on the BP4025 because of this contact, but my solution
may work, if the mic and BBG have a margin ofair in between each other ; again, inverting the rubber ring may achieve this IMO.

Sorry to differ, but I bought the BBG for this mic ( I added a ring to the mic so that it fits nicely) and it completely wrecks the polar pattern, the ring is right in the middle of the capsule and it sounds completely different when on. Its usable all right, but you might be dissapointed as I was. I have not found a better solution though.

• 1 month later...
On 6/17/2022 at 7:26 PM, Aitor Amozarrain said:

Sorry to differ, but I bought the BBG for this mic ( I added a ring to the mic so that it fits nicely) and it completely wrecks the polar pattern, the ring is right in the middle of the capsule and it sounds completely different when on. Its usable all right, but you might be dissapointed as I was. I have not found a better solution though.

fwiw I concur. Technically, it fits fine and does a reasonable job of mitigating mild wind. however, the sound is distinctly “smudged”.

Stick with a blimp. Better wind protection (air gap) and less handling noise. If you use a stubby XLR5 it’ll fit in one of the smaller Rycotes (I’d have to check which model I have mine in).

On 6/15/2022 at 12:44 PM, Roland said:

I bought the 21mm BBG and it was super tight on the BP4025... would take an hour to fit mic all the way in
So I exchanged for the 22mm BBG... much quicker to fit all the way since their is a little more play in the rubber ring.

The BBG cover does just come into contact with the top / front of the mic, especially if you are not static, but I wonder if there is a solution ?
Well, probably this could be solved by removing and inverting the rubber ring on the BBG... but a delicate operation that could damage the BBG ?
I wonder if anyone has done this and what does Rycote say ? In my opinion the BBG is not mobile on the BP4025 because of this contact, but my solution
may work, if the mic and BBG have a margin ofair in between each other ; again, inverting the rubber ring may achieve this IMO.

I have at least 1/2" from the end of the 4025 to the BBG internally.

Audio Technica should have supplied you with an o-ring. 

Use the o-ring to keep the BBG from sliding back.

19 hours ago, andcam said:

fwiw I concur. Technically, it fits fine and does a reasonable job of mitigating mild wind. however, the sound is distinctly “smudged”.

Stick with a blimp. Better wind protection (air gap) and less handling noise. If you use a stubby XLR5 it’ll fit in one of the smaller Rycotes (I’d have to check which model I have mine in).

The BBG and blimps are 100 mm, air gap the same. 

On 8/10/2022 at 3:14 AM, andcam said:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1026518-REG/rycote_086069_modular_windshield_ws_3.html

This is the other viable option.

• 6 months later...
12 hours ago, Calsun said:

The Rycote 089130 (AT825) windshield seems like the best solution for the BP4025 but it is not expected to be available until May 2023 at the earliest. Same cost as the BBG windshield but a much better design in every respect.

Could you give us more information? The 089130 seems to be a Small Cyclone, available now and considerably more expensive than a BBG. Thanks