PSC induction loop earpiece batter life?

Trey LaCroix

Why do you "have to" use an earwig with an induction loop? What do you mean by induction loop? The kind that is hidden under an actors costume with a receiver, or do you plan on running an induction loop around the set? Both options WAY less desirable than just renting a modern base station and RF earwig,(s)?

9 minutes ago, Ed White said:

Why do you "have to" use an earwig with an induction loop? What do you mean by induction loop? The kind that is hidden under an actors costume with a receiver, or do you plan on running an induction loop around the set? Both options WAY less desirable than just renting a modern base station and RF earwig,(s)?

I am aware of the RF earwigs and have experienced firsthand the advantages and disadvantages with each method. The neck loop induction method is what I have decided to go with. If have any memory of what the general battery life is I would love to hear it. I have not used one for a while and don't really remember. I remember it got me to lunch but that's about it.

8 hours ago, Ed White said:

imho... induction earpieces are more reliable than RF although the quality of sound may be lesser than RF. personal experience after thoroughly testing the ROGER RF system from Phonak. It takes a lot more effort to ensure sensible 2.4G coverage over a space, plus susceptibility to interference from stronger wifi signals etc. 

4 hours ago, soundtrane said:

It takes a lot more effort to ensure sensible 2.4G coverage over a space

True, I have experienced these problems recently. But there is a very simple, elegant and cost effective solution. Instead of a Roger basestation, simply use a Comtek or a Senny IEM, and plug the receiver in the Phonak Multimedia Hub. https://www.raycom.co.uk/product/roger-multimedia-hub/

It's a simple small transmitter that you can put in the pocket of the talent and it's feeded by a simple 3.5 mini-jack.

The only 2.4 GHz part goes from the pocket to the earpiece and the total range of the system is the one of your Comtek.

This transmitter cost the third of the price of the base station, but you need one per talent.

If your talent can't wear any receiver there is also a repeater that extend the range of the base station.

Just now, henrimic said:

True, I have experienced these problems recently. But there is a very simple, elegant and cost effective solution. Instead of a Roger basestation, simply use a Comtek or a Senny IEM, and plug the receiver in the Phonak Multimedia Hub. https://www.raycom.co.uk/product/roger-multimedia-hub/

It's a simple small transmitter that you can put in the pocket of the talent and it's feeded by a simple 3.5 mini-jack.

The only 2.4 GHz part goes from the pocket to the earpiece and the total range of the system is the one of your Comtek.

This transmitter cost the half of the price of the base station, but you need one per talent.

If your talent can't wear any receiver there is also a repeater that extend the range of the base station.

+1

I got pretty much a full day on the PSC induction RX batteries.  I had very good luck with both "room loops" driven by audio power amps and personal loops, both neck loops and the small rectangular induction antennas driven by a Comtek RX.  Care and vigilance are required to make them work, but work they do, and very cheaply compared to current hightech solutions.