The best wireless boom system today

foliver

Hi all.

Just thinking again.

Today I was listening different preamplifiers, cabled, with a schoeps.

Each has a different color, and personality.

Pushing this differences forward, I start to thinking again about wireless booms.

I know this subject was afforded so many times, but well, here I try to be reaaaaaly rigorous.

I don't want to loose depth, I don't want to have a noisier floor.

I want to be able to record very quiet sounds, with detail, and sharpness.

I know, to have the same dynamic is not easy, but forget the situation where someone is whispering, and then yelling, but I want to be able to record whispers with transparency.

Transients are another big deal....

Last november I recorded a film in Bolivia, very quiet locations. Very. No insects, no birds, plains, nothing.

The interior location was a mud house, thatched roof, wood furniture.

I went cabled, schoeps, Newman, straight to the Cantar. It was very nice.

So, what is the best system available today?

Plug on?, power supply+TX ? Manufacturer and model?

Thanks for your opinions.

I use mainly wireless booms this days, but maybe I'm missing the best available.

Bolivia, imagine the silence, and how it can sound.

IMG_E3499.JPG

There was a thread comparing plugon transmitters a while back with sound examples.

I think the gist of it was basicly that Lectro HMa was the most transparent and the digital offerings at that time had some minor artifacts in the highs.

Wisy/Audio LTD 2040/highend Sony/Sennheisers were not present.

Curious about the new digital Lectro or the new mini Wisy TX when it arrives.

I like how the lectro sound. Got the UH400A (a few dbs more selfnoise compared to HMa) and used a HMa this summer. But I dont like how the limiter sounds.

I've been using Micron TX700 wireless since 2014..At first I paired it with the SD MM1 preamp, now I have it paired with the Mozegear Papi.  Most would consider it clunky, my boom op wears a pack for them, powered by a small battery that lasts all day... But, damm I love how it sounds.. Super warm sound and extremely low noise floor. The Papi's preamp sounds excellent and a very transparent limiter.. Range for a 30mw system is outstanding with its true diversity receiver.. I tried a few Digital systems a few years back and while the sound was good I had range issues, particularly when encountering metal objects which on the show I was on at the time was practically every day..

3 hours ago, foliver said:

I use mainly wireless booms this days, but maybe I'm missing the best available.

What wireless boom solution are you using now? I do like the way the Lectro system sounds. I’ve boomed for a mixer who has them and it seemed fine. I use the Zaxcom 742/743 and its really nice sounding. Quiet, amazing dynamic range, crisp and fast. I did the SGS battery sled solution and I can go 9-10hrs on a medium battery, about 5.5 hrs on a small battery which is nice. I usually go directly digital in to the Cantar and the results are solid in my opinion. I’m sure the rest of the competitors are great sounding too. I saw that sony recently released a boom specific TX. Has anyone used it? Really curious about the Wysicom solutions as well.

3 hours ago, chrismedr said:

if I were looking for the *best* wireless audio quality I‘d try a Sonosax SX-M2D2 Preamp with the AES into a Neutrik Xirium system.

haven‘t used either of these yet, but based on specs and company reputation I‘m pretty confident that it would sound fantastic.

I agree the output of the Sonosax preamp would sound terrific but I have my doubts regarding the Neutrik wireless system. For boom work, first of all, this is a 2 box solution which could prove to be problematic. Then, the wireless transmission is 5 ghz system and I think we are all aware of the difficulties involved in using a wireless link that operates at those frequencies. My vote would be for any of the Zaxcom digital wireless for the booms as well as for the talent.

SD MM1, into Lectro wireless.  Not an easy rig to wear, the MM1 is pretty big, but such a nice sound and a great limiter to be in front of the TX.  The MM1 does all the work, so any other pro-level TX would work fine instead.   But....like the OP....in my perfect world the boom would not be wireless--straight cable to the mixer...

I once was lucky and came across the Sony DWX DWT-P01 together with an MKH 8060 and was stunned. I had never before (and never after) heard such a transparent solution. All frequencies present, no clipping at high and no noise at low levels. The receiver wad connected to the recorder via AES of course.

42 minutes ago, Philip Perkins said:

SD MM1, into Lectro wireless.  Not an easy rig to wear, the MM1 is pretty big, but such a nice sound and a great limiter to be in front of the TX.  The MM1 does all the work, so any other pro-level TX would work fine instead. 

I boomed a show with this setup. I rigged everything on a KSWB1 Stingray Waist Belt that I  had removed the straps / carabiners form. The MM-1's belt clip fit into one of the Molle loops. Same with an SMQV. I also attached a Comtek (plugged in to the return on the  MM-1 for communication from the PSM), and a small Maxpedition pouch to keep extra topstick, batteries  etc. Actually not that bad as far as size/weight, and it's easy to take the whole rig off and on.

4 hours ago, Jeff Wexler said:

I agree the output of the Sonosax preamp would sound terrific but I have my doubts regarding the Neutrik wireless system. For boom work, first of all, this is a 2 box solution which could prove to be problematic. Then, the wireless transmission is 5 ghz system and I think we are all aware of the difficulties involved in using a wireless link that operates at those frequencies.

agreed that a two box solution can be cumbersome, but the question was about the „best sounding“ and not the „most convenient“.

about the 5ghz, they mention a robust transmission mode if one only needs one channel:

XROC (Extreme Ruggedized One Channel)

When RF congestion at a venue or event is at its worst, activate the exclu- sive Xirium Pro XROC feature and eliminate any opportunity for offending RF traffic to affect your wireless audio signal.

13 hours ago, ivanovich said:

What wireless boom solution are you using now? I do like the way the Lectro system sounds. I’ve boomed for a mixer who has them and it seemed fine. I use the Zaxcom 742/743 and its really nice sounding. Quiet, amazing dynamic range, crisp and fast. I did the SGS battery sled solution and I can go 9-10hrs on a medium battery, about 5.5 hrs on a small battery which is nice. I usually go directly digital in to the Cantar and the results are solid in my opinion. I’m sure the rest of the competitors are great sounding too. I saw that sony recently released a boom specific TX. Has anyone used it? Really curious about the Wysicom solutions as well.

Hi, I'm using UH400 from Lectro. 

seems that the better will be, a good preamp with clean 48V ph, good analog to digital converter, digital transmission, and AES  to the recorder.....

I don't have any zaxcom here to try...

anyway, despite that is obvious that a plug on is the simplest way to go, we can agree that even if the boom op has a pair of light boxes in the belt, he continue to be free....

17 hours ago, Mark LeBlanc said:

At first I paired it with the SD MM1 preamp, now I have it paired with the Mozegear Papi.

Why did you change from the MM1 to a Papi, just for the size saving, or does the Papi really sound that much better than the bigger MM1? I've been nearly always using the MM1 myself when I've got a boom op. 

4 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Why did you change from the MM1 to a Papi, just for the size saving, or does the Papi really sound that much better than the bigger MM1? I've been nearly always using the MM1 myself when I've got a boom op. 

Size played a part but for me it was the sound.. The low end of the Papi is what I would describe as "Tighter" than the MM1 that's with Rolloff set equal on both.. I always struggled with that part of the sound... The high end is crystal clear and has a nice warm feel in the Mid's....  Downside of Papi is no internal Battery... There are times that would be Great to have..

2 hours ago, Moesound said:

I’ve been very, very happy with the Audio Ltd. A-10 transmitter on the end of the boom pole, cabled to a Schoeps cmc-641. Brilliant sound, easy to use.

Moe

Have you compared it to a CMC641_INT Cabled_SD-MM1_A10TX setup? I can't believe the A10TX Pre's compare, but if they do, I would like to hear about it. 

This might be better for another thread. A10 VS. SD-MM1 

Best,

D

45 minutes ago, Dalton Patterson said:

Have you compared it to a CMC641_INT Cabled_SD-MM1_A10TX setup? I can't believe the A10TX Pre's compare, but if they do, I would like to hear about it. 

This might be better for another thread. A10 VS. SD-MM1 

Best,

D

I'm interested on this answer too, I don't know if just SD-MM1, but any good pre

5 hours ago, Mark LeBlanc said:

Size played a part but for me it was the sound.. The low end of the Papi is what I would describe as "Tighter" than the MM1 that's with Rolloff set equal on both.. I always struggled with that part of the sound... The high end is crystal clear and has a nice warm feel in the Mid's....  Downside of Papi is no internal Battery... There are times that would be Great to have..

I don't know how you power it, but 2X 18650 batteries, in an enclosure can do the trick, what's your power solution for the Papi?

Dalton,

I have not used the MM 1 with the A-10, as that would sort of defeat the purpose of the system. However, many years ago I used the MM1 with the CMC641 into a Lectrosonics 411, and it sounded pretty good, all things considered. Now, maybe it’s the clarity of the digital transmission, but to my ears the Schoeps through the A-10 mic preamplifier sounds as close to a hardwired boom as I’ve ever heard. 

But please remember, these things are highly subjective and strictly my opinion.

I believe Zaxcom and Sony and Lectrosonics all have excellent 

systems as well for wireless boom. I’ve tried them all, and I just happen to prefer the Audio Ltd.

Regards,

Moe

21 minutes ago, foliver said:

I don't know how you power it, but 2X 18650 batteries, in an enclosure can do the trick, what's your power solution for the Papi?

I use a Hi-Q battery with DIY splitter that powers both the Papi and Micron... I've seen someone make a dual cable Hi-Q power adapter... Hope to pick one up next time I get to work. Which at this point will still be a while..

23 hours ago, Philip Perkins said:

SD MM1, into Lectro wireless.  Not an easy rig to wear, the MM1 is pretty big, but such a nice sound and a great limiter to be in front of the TX.  The MM1 does all the work, so any other pro-level TX would work fine instead.

+1

I’ve been using this setup for years, along with a comtek in the return so I can talk to the boom op. Everyone I’ve worked with loves this setup despite it being more than just a plug on the pole. 

I boomed for a mixer a couple of years ago who still insisted on hard wiring. I wouldn’t mind but today productions move so fast that there’s no time for wrangling the cable, moving to the next location, setting up, and still being able to watch rehearsal and check for shadows. It’s worse when your gaffer never seems to anticipate a boom flying overhead and consistently does the laziest work that they can!

luckily I was able to convince him to let me go wireless, and things ran a lot smoother.