The best wireless boom system today

foliver

40 minutes ago, Southeast Sound Guy said:

You are saying that the MM into the HMa results in better audio quality than just the HMa right?

I'm wondering if night and day is the difference between useable and unusable dialogue because I've been rocking HMa's since they came out with no issues and know a bunch of other mixers who use HMa/HM/UH400a's as well with no preamp in between.

I’d love to do an AB test to listen but I’d say it’s more like great vs greater. Straight into the HM is very good if you ask me. 

Now if you’re talking about monitoring for the boom op then yes I’d say the mm1 is going to sound amazing compared to a comtek or even ifb. 

28 minutes ago, Southeast Sound Guy said:

Thanks for your advice on it.  I will likely pickup an MM-1 sometime soon and set up a wireless boom op belt.

For the MM1 people out there - how do you route everything on the boom op side so that they can hear the slate mic/the mix? Aren't they just hearing the boom off the preamp?

20 minutes ago, BAB414 said:

For the MM1 people out there - how do you route everything on the boom op side so that they can hear the slate mic/the mix? Aren't they just hearing the boom off the preamp?

My plan was to route either a Comtek or an extra Hop receiver back to the MM-1's balanced monitor input.

5 hours ago, BAB414 said:

The MM1 has a dedicated 1/4" input to use for the wireless receiver, and the user has control over its volume. 
mm1_back_panel.jpg

mm1_front_panel.jpg

• 4 months later...
On 8/31/2020 at 6:51 AM, Mungo said:

I once was lucky and came across the Sony DWX DWT-P01 together with an MKH 8060 and was stunned. I had never before (and never after) heard such a transparent solution. All frequencies present, no clipping at high and no noise at low levels. The receiver wad connected to the recorder via AES of course.

I'm using two Sony DWR-S01D digital receivers in my bag and four Sony DWT-B01 digital belt packs and a DWT-P01 plug-on transmitter. All four channels hooked up to my SD664 via AES/EBU and they sound stellar.

I'm tempted to say "sounds like a straight wire", but it actually sound better because there's practically no analogue cabling involved, and once you go to digital transmission, it's hard to go back to analogue or hybrid RF companding.

Whenever I have the chance, and only use three belt pack, I hook up the plug-on transmitter and it sounds great. The ease of use, the dynamics and details of the sound are just fabulous.

And I have no problem using Sony's -20dB reference function in the receivers, which digitally brings up the output level of the receiver 10dB and add soft compression to loud parts. Once you get the hang of where to set the levels of the transmitters, the compression is your best friend keeping track of momentary hot levels in a natural way. This can be achieved with newer digital mixers, but I'm hanging on to my SD664 for as long as I can.

It might just be marketing, but as far as I know and please correct me if I'm wrong, but Sony is the only manufacturer I know that states 48kHz 24bit signal transfer between the transmitter and receiver. The Bit Scope in Wavelab says the recorded signal has 24 bit activity, but then it has been level processed by the receiver.

I prefer taking a look at the radio spectrum with an RF Explorer and set the frequencies myself, but in run-n-gun situations or if I run into interference, I can quickly move a couple of meters close to the talent, for the control signals to work, and set a new frequency which is automatically set in the transmitter. And if I want to do a quick scan, I turn off the channel on the receiver, turn it on again holding the [+]-button and the receiver will scan for a clear channel, then transmit it to the transmitter - done in 30 seconds.

All in all, it's a robust and user-friendly system that sounds great. I think it deserves some more traction in this forum.

Have a nice weekend

Frederick

On 4/9/2021 at 11:16 AM, ninjafreddan said:

as far as I know and please correct me if I'm wrong, but Sony is the only manufacturer I know that states 48kHz 24bit signal transfer between the transmitter and receiver.

That may be true, but in the case of Lectrosonics the dynamic range exceeds that of 16-bit, so it must be more than that. Of course, that doesn’t mean no compression is going on, but I also seem to remember that Karl Winkler once stated that their digital range does indeed transmit at 24/48, but they are not advertising that fact. 

Nevertheless, what you say about the Sony system sounds quite interesting and I would really like to try it one day

2 hours ago, Constantin said:

That may be true, but in the case of Lectrosonics the dynamic range exceeds that of 16-bit, so it must be more than that. Of course, that doesn’t mean no compression is going on, but I also seem to remember that Karl Winkler once stated that their digital range does indeed transmit at 24/48, but they are not advertising that fact.

You are right about that, Lectrosonics states a dynamic range of 110dB for their D2-system, which indicates more dynamics than 16 bit can transfer. Thanks for pointing that out, it looks like a good system too.

2 hours ago, Constantin said:

Nevertheless, what you say about the Sony system sounds quite interesting and I would really like to try it one day

It's well worth trying out in the field and the latest version looks really interesting - the Sony DWR S03D receiver and DWT B03 belt pack which is smaller than DWT B01. More functions, LEMO input, the choice of different codecs and thus even less latency and a smaller and easier-to-hide belt pack that is water-proof. I would love to put my hands on it! :-)

With the money involved, I must say that I'm also interested in the new Audio Limited A10-system. Internal belt pack recording (which should be able to record 24 bit, even though I can't find it in writing), wireless control via BlueTooth on an iPhone and the possibility of using the belt pack for 48V plug-on duties - sounds like a dream come true.

Hanging on to my Sony systems for the time being...

Have a nice Sunday