Zaxcom TRX900 freq scan issue!!!

monolith

Hi folks,

This is my first post and i've searched for an answer but I can't find anything on this particular issue. 

The long and the short of it is I picked up a couple of 2nd hand Zaxcom TRX 900 (AA & LT) with a QRX100. 

They were working fine when i received them. I was about to start a job last week and so while reading the manual I took the advise to rename the units and format the cards.

After formatting (which went fine) i power cycled the units and and both displayed identical behaviour and screen/menus were frozen. At this point i was freaking out thinking id some how broke both units by following manual advise, but after taking the cards out and reinstalling the firmware i could navigate the menus again!

Crisis averted (or so I thought)!

The problem I have now is that both units will not scan frequency. The are both jumping between 2 seemingly preset frequencies! I've tried everything but cannot for whatever reason select a specific frequency and the behaviour is identical on both!!

Am i missing something really obvious here before I contact Zaxcom? Would anyone have any insight at all on what to do or what could be causing this?? 

Thanks a mill in advance and sorry f this has come up before somewhere!

M

Step One:  Identify yourself

My initial reaction to offer you help over the phone quickly changed when I realized you were just a monolith. 

Some thoughts: 

1). Double-Check the manual to see if you have everything set up properly. 

2). For any troubleshooting help always specify firmware version(s).

3). Carefully elaborate any and all troubleshooting steps taken. 

4). The receivers can search; the transmitters need to have their frequency set manually (or remotely if you have Zaxnet).

5). If the transmitters are locking up, you may not be using a compatible card. SanDisk and Transcend are recommended.

Good luck, M. 

Hi John,

Apologies my name is Chris Carrol and i'm based in Dublin, Ireland - i'll need to get that in the profile somewhere!!

Many thanks for getting back to me on this.

I have checked the manual numerous times now and everything appears to be set correctly.

The firmware version on both transmitters is 7.3 and QRX100 receiver is on 3.78

I'm using 8gb Sansdisk X1 cards, and made sure to get these ones as I'd read the importance of getting approved cards.

The locking up happened initially after formatting the cards, but this was resolved after a firmware update.

The issue now is with Freq scan only! Everything else seems to be fine. I just cannot search through the freq range on the transmitters to set the freq selected on the QRX after doing a scan search on that.

The transmitters will only jump between 2 pre defined freq!! (in the first instance 614.0mhz and 560.0mhz and in the second 614.0 and 512.0) Its very strange and i have used other Zax transmitters in work but never had a problem selecting a freq.

- I've tried updating the firmware again several times on both the Tx and the Rx.  

- Set the different Tx Format in the extended menu

- Put the Tx in Loop Rec and Off Loop Rec

- Re-formatted the card several times

I've been following the manual and setting everything as i should be. The only thing i didn't do was to jump back to an older firmware version because i read that it wasn't advised! Aside from doing all of the the above i'm at a loss as to what more i can do!!

C

As I'm understanding it now, when you said the transmitters "will not scan" you meant will not properly adjust through the transmitter's allowed frequency range. Scan typically refers to the scan function (which the receivers have, but not the transmitters) that will automatically scan through the specified range and select the best frequency.

Here's the info on crossing the 7.30x barrier (this is in the firmware package):

-----

WARNING: SOFTWARE UPGRADE / DOWNGRADE TRANSITION

There is a transition point at version 7.31.

If you have 7.30x or lower in your TRX you may install 7.30x.

If you have 7.31 or higher you must not downgrate to any lower version.
as the older software does not know how to handle the newer
power amplifier system associated with the power-roll feature.

If you upgrade OR downgrade across this 7.31 boundary you will likely
experience low output power and will need to send your TRX to Zaxcom to
be re-calibrated.                                                    

This warning does not apply to IFB100'2 or ZFR's.

-----

I believe the latest 7.30 version is 7.30P

FWIW, I'm unaware of any software version that causes the issues you outlined -- that's not to say it might not exist as Zaxcom issues many updates and they add new features and improve others and sometimes unexpected glitches show up and then Howy (programmer extraordinaire) will promptly issue an updated version. Keep in mind, most of the incremental versions are beta and should only be implemented by those willing to beta-test them.

If you've already crossed the 7.30 barrier in either direction, there might be issues. I thought they were only power associated, but I'm wondering if that might be related to the issues you're having. If it's the cause, you need to send the units to Zaxcom for recalibration. 7.31 and above is when Zaxcom changed and improved how power is handled, but crossing the barrier typically requires a trip to the mothership.

What block are you in and specifically what software versions are you going from and to? Include all firmware numbers and letters (including zeros).

Have you spoken with Zaxcom support, or emailed them?  Carefully itemize what you've done and what the issues are and they'll likely have good advice and possible solutions for you.

On to important things, do you prefer Guiness or Smithwicks?

John

On 9/7/2020 at 6:57 PM, agarrison said:

Hi, Chris-

You are right, your remaining path for now is to return to the previous firmware version. If that works then there may be a bug in the update but at least you can work until you get it figured out.   

Andy

Many thanks Andy, yes it looks like i skipped ahead with the firware!!

On 9/7/2020 at 7:07 PM, John Blankenship said:

transmitters "will not scan" you meant will not properly adjust through the transmitter's allowed frequency range

Thanks a mill John, 

Yes that's correct the adjustment through the frequencies as opposed to scan. I'm  currently on firmware 7.30P so looks like that is my issue. I did read the WARNING: SOFTWARE UPGRADE / DOWNGRADE TRANSITION so didn't attempt any roll back anything until I got some solid advise. Which i surely have here.

Guiness or Smithwicks? As a Dub i'd have to say Guiness (but from a bottle!) 😉

On 9/7/2020 at 9:56 PM, glenn said:

The minimum and maximum frequencies have become corrupted in the update. Roger at everything audio can sort you out. 

Many thanks for confirming that Glenn. I'll get in contact everything audio and let you guys know how i get on. I'm a big fan of the products btw, and look forward to building on my so far humble selection of Zaxcom products 👍👍

1 hour ago, monolith said:

Yes that's correct the adjustment through the frequencies as opposed to scan. I'm  currently on firmware 7.30P so looks like that is my issue. I did read the WARNING: SOFTWARE UPGRADE / DOWNGRADE TRANSITION so didn't attempt any roll back anything until I got some solid advise. Which i surely have here.

FWIW, I've never encountered that issue with 7.30P. 

Maybe I missed it; what block are your transmitters on?

• 3 years later...

I came across this very issue too on a TRX900LT with an STA100 adaptor. I changed the modulation from what it was on (stereo) to US Mono. I was then able to change the frequency in the menu normally, then switched back to Stereo. Everything seems to be working fine now.

Firmware 7.30P

Hopefully this is useful for anyone googling this problem like me.