URX100 reception

osa

I am noticing lots of digital artifacts i the audio signal with URX's and my camera link vs rx200 at the same distance. wondering if there is anything to help improve reception? from a technical standpoint, curious if i can put a wire whip antenna attached to ground on the 1/8" connector (that connector is also carrying audio signal to the 1/8 input) to help put the 2nd antenna in the air similar to the standard antenna next to it, or will that not have any affect?

-Ken

6 hours ago, glenn said:

URX will not give the same distances  as RX200. It is a different animal. If you use a properly sized antenna in the headphone jack you might get close. 

understood. i failed to mention this last comparison was at relatively closer ranges. but getting close is all i care as its usually in the case of 2nd/3rd cam stuff etc. i will give it a shot with a modded audio cable and add an antenna and see how it works

21 hours ago, osa said:

understood. i failed to mention this last comparison was at relatively closer ranges. but getting close is all i care as its usually in the case of 2nd/3rd cam stuff etc. i will give it a shot with a modded audio cable and add an antenna and see how it works

Let me know how it works for you. I currently use a URX for cam (with 3.5mm for audio) and Would like a bit more range.

20 hours ago, John Blankenship said:

Ken - does the camera have any RF gack on it such as a Teradek?

None - my test was on 2x sony fs7’s with cabled returns for testing purposes. I know many unmentionable rf factors could be at play in any given situation so who knows.  I also - again know this is not what it was designed for - did a side by side with a qrx200 at my recorder. I recorded both tuned to same freq.  I was toying with using urx’s in a pinch for extra talent receivers. The urx worked better than i expected in that test maybe 80-90%, audible digital artifacts that i heard were very slight and could be usable in a recording emergency? This urx product is very versatile in that respect

10 minutes ago, John Blankenship said:

I admit I've never tried using a URX100 on a camera. Perhaps they're more susceptible to the camera's spurious RF. 

That might be it, just the different housing alone on the urx with all that camera spray. If I get a chance to run my double antenna test I will also play with articulating arm’ing the urx away from the camera a bit.