Remoting RX - XLR Multicore (30meter) 100feet

PedroAdamastor

Hi everyone,

Im looking for some advice.

I have a Sound Devices 664 + CL6 and 8 TX+RX Sennheiser G3.

I need to put the RX in a stand closer to the set and bring the sound to my cart.
I live in Portugal so I will have to buy it in a European store and I was thinking of having a multicore with a stagebox like the:

pro snake MC 1622 (€ 179) or Cordial Multicore CYB C 12/4 (€ 322) coming from Thomann.
As I have a stage box I also send the 2 booms in multicore.
Is there some inconvenience or loss of sound quality in sending booms and lavaliers in a multicore like those of 30 meters (100feet).
Noises? Loss of signal?

Any feedback of anyone using pro Snake or Cordial cables?
Thank you for your help.

I thought about that, but as this job is next week i dont have the time to mod the G3 and order the RF distro and antennas.

I will probably do that in the future, but for next week i will have to go with cable.

Im just afraid of ordering one of this long multicore cables for the boom and lavs because i have never used them before, and i dont know if i will have noises or loss of sound quality.

1 hour ago, PedroAdamastor said:

I thought about that, but as this job is next week i dont have the time to mod the G3 and order the RF distro and antennas.

I will probably do that in the future, but for next week i will have to go with cable.

What about renting the gear for next week?
If the budget is really tight, you could for instance rent a Venue (plus an SR, if you really do need 8 channels) with Sharkfins and skimp on renting the transmitters and just run the VRTs in Mode 3 so you can still kinda using your G3 transmitters with it. 

Another thought is renting 2x Sound Devices 442, so that you can then run pro line level the 100ft back to you. Because as Allen said, I'd be cautious about sending the weak ish output of the G3 receiver over the distance of a 100ft. 

But really, it would be better to just get yourself closer, what exactly is the situation as to why you can't be closer than 100ft?

It will probably work fine.  Max out the output level of your G3 RXs, make sure your snake is in good shape and be careful of how you route it, like you would under any circumstances.  Light ballasts, HVAC equipment etc stay away from.  The biggest problem with the snake will probably be getting through doors (go through windows instead if you can), getting stepped on and having lighting equipment and the dolly dragged over it. 

The G series EK 100 portable receiver's output is unbalanced, so that's about x10 more than the 'recommended' length  unbalanced mic level. Line level would be better, but that ain't a perfect solution either.. the max AF out setting for the EK 100 Rx is only around -10dB (nominal),  so getting good good levels could be a problem feeding a +4dB input. Exasperating the fact, SD's line inputs need a hefty line level,

Thanks for the help everyone. 
I tested the G3 receivers with a 15meter (50feet) multicore cable and the quality loss is minimal.

Im going to use this 15meter(50feet) cable this time.

Next month i will follow the advice of David@IronFilm: mod the G3 with SMA, use a RF distro, and place antennas closer to set.

Just one more help:

Which Distro Box and antenna do you recommend to use with the G3 modded?
Is there any good quality RF distro box and antenna for a short budget? I read somewhere about Leicozic distro and antennas. 
Anyone use this?

The antenna has to be active?

Thanks again!

6 hours ago, JonG said:

A cheaper option would be to get boxes that convert your mic/line level signals to be sent over a cat5/6/7 cable. That way you don’t have to spend so much on audio cable that people on set will inevitably step on and break. 

What box does this? Do i have to use 1 box for sending the signal over cat5/6/7 and another to receive it and send to recorder?

Thanks.

13 hours ago, PedroAdamastor said:

Next month i will follow the advice of David@IronFilm: mod the G3 with SMA, use a RF distro, and place antennas closer to set.

Just one more help:

Which Distro Box and antenna do you recommend to use with the G3 modded?
Is there any good quality RF distro box and antenna for a short budget? I read somewhere about Leicozic distro and antennas. 
Anyone use this?

Yes, I use Leicozic quite often for my IEMs for the director/producer/clients/script/etc:
https://www.youtube.com/c/SoundSpeeding/search?query=Leicozic
And for that purpose, I am very happy with them as they punch well above their weight. 

But for talent wireless, that is a more critical purpose, so why not just go with one of the standard brands? See what you can find secondhand. 

I myself just very recently picked up a secondhand Lectrosonics UMC16BL for a very good price:

RF Venue & Shure are two other companies to look up as well, two mention but a couple of others. 

On 9/9/2020 at 5:32 PM, PedroAdamastor said:

Is there any good quality RF distro box and antenna for a short budget? I read somewhere about Leicozic distro and antennas. Anyone use this?

The antenna has to be active?

Active antenna - Active and non-active. There are antennas that have an amplifier onboard that can be used or bypassed and padded to give you variable gain. You'll want to adjust gain depending on the number of splits. For 1-2 you may want no gain. For 4 split, perhaps 6db gain. For 8 split, you may want 12db. The antenna can provide these gain settings. It is powered from the RF distribution box. Just like anything, you don't want to overdrive the receiver.

The disadvantage of a distribution box is that they are mostly built for double antenna systems. So you have a whole side you don't need (bulk, cost). But if you plan to move to those types of receivers, you may want to go that route anyway. A cheaper way to go for Sennheiser is to use a simple splitter but then you need a way to feed power to the antenna. You could also use two antennas as a split; for example, with 8x receivers, you could put 4 receivers on each antenna and reduce gain. Less splits and less gain = less noise.

For a budget solution, consider this Leicozic antenna - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32867431562.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.bbc7146bVqRB9k&algo_pvid=8c6787e6-0344-42a2-a098-d13c0ee1d74e&algo_expid=8c6787e6-0344-42a2-a098-d13c0ee1d74e-19&btsid=0bb0623d15997954977628458e91b5&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_

6 minutes ago, Paul F said: