Schoeps Mini-DA42 analog noise floor

DanieldH

Schoeps has this box to adapt the SuperCMIT. It's analog outputs have an unusual high noise floor, that one might not expect from a Schoeps product.

I wonder, why that is the case and what Schoeps intended application, use case or workflow is.

Also, I have not opened this box yet, but there may be mods/hacks that I did not stumble over yet.

One rather expensive alternative may be the SX-M2D2 that appears to add a "digital gain" and a compressor.

49 minutes ago, DanieldH said:

Schoeps has this box to adapt the SuperCMIT. It's analog outputs have an unusual high noise floor, that one might not expect from a Schoeps product.

I wonder, why that is the case and what Schoeps intended application, use case or workflow is.

Also, I have not opened this box yet, but there may be mods/hacks that I did not stumble over yet.

One rather expensive alternative may be the SX-M2D2 that appears to add a "digital gain" and a compressor.

Are you saying the Mini DA42 increases the noise floor of the already quite high noise floor of the  S CMIT itself compared with the S CMIT connected directly to a AES42 digital recorder input?
I've used the Mini DA42 extensively and have not noticed an increased noise floor over and above the quite high noise floor of the S CMIT itself?
Can you get Schoeps to take a look at your Mini DA42, or is the PSD 2U that you have, I haven't used that?

4 minutes ago, pindrop said:

Are you saying the Mini DA42 increases the noise floor of the already quite high noise floor of the  S CMIT itself compared with the S CMIT connected directly to a AES42 digital recorder input?
I've used the Mini DA42 extensively and have not noticed an increased noise floor over and above the quite high noise floor of the S CMIT itself?
Can you get Schoeps to take a look at your Mini DA42, or is the PSD 2U that you have, I haven't used that?

thank you for saving me the trouble of posting what you just said.

way way way back when, i used to use a miniDA42 until SD updated the 788T to allow limiters on the digital inputs. comparing the DA42 analogue out to the mic through the 788 digital in, i didn't notice any difference in noise floor between the two.
the thinking always was that the higher noise floor was a better trade off versus what the mic could do with ambient noise and room echo.

1 hour ago, pindrop said:

Yes, that seems to be the case with the unit I have and a unit the reputable local rental place provides. All that, compared to the AES42 inputs of a 633 or 788T.

On 9/9/2020 at 11:38 PM, DanieldH said:

I operate the 633 with a lot more digital gain (mid 10 to mid 20ies dB) though It's rather annoying, as you need to do it within the channel interface and you can't assign a dedicated pot.

Have you tried the dB boost within the SuperCMIT? Maybe that helps. You should also consider to send the DA42 to Schoeps for a check-up, it’s always possible it has developed an issue of some sort

5 hours ago, DanieldH said:

Yes, I prefer the 633 gaining though as a powercycle means opening the windscreen and processing the button sequence. 

With the DA42, it raises the noise floor with it. 

OK, well in that case I think you should talk to Schoeps about it. They’ve really improved their turnaround times for their service department