Jump to content

Schoeps Mini-DA42 analog noise floor


Recommended Posts

Schoeps has this box to adapt the SuperCMIT. It's analog outputs have an unusual high noise floor, that one might not expect from a Schoeps product.

I wonder, why that is the case and what Schoeps intended application, use case or workflow is.

Also, I have not opened this box yet, but there may be mods/hacks that I did not stumble over yet.

One rather expensive alternative may be the SX-M2D2 that appears to add a "digital gain" and a compressor.

Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, DanieldH said:

Schoeps has this box to adapt the SuperCMIT. It's analog outputs have an unusual high noise floor, that one might not expect from a Schoeps product.

I wonder, why that is the case and what Schoeps intended application, use case or workflow is.

Also, I have not opened this box yet, but there may be mods/hacks that I did not stumble over yet.

One rather expensive alternative may be the SX-M2D2 that appears to add a "digital gain" and a compressor.

Are you saying the Mini DA42 increases the noise floor of the already quite high noise floor of the  S CMIT itself compared with the S CMIT connected directly to a AES42 digital recorder input?
I've used the Mini DA42 extensively and have not noticed an increased noise floor over and above the quite high noise floor of the S CMIT itself?
Can you get Schoeps to take a look at your Mini DA42, or is the PSD 2U that you have, I haven't used that?

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, pindrop said:

Are you saying the Mini DA42 increases the noise floor of the already quite high noise floor of the  S CMIT itself compared with the S CMIT connected directly to a AES42 digital recorder input?
I've used the Mini DA42 extensively and have not noticed an increased noise floor over and above the quite high noise floor of the S CMIT itself?
Can you get Schoeps to take a look at your Mini DA42, or is the PSD 2U that you have, I haven't used that?

thank you for saving me the trouble of posting what you just said.

way way way back when, i used to use a miniDA42 until SD updated the 788T to allow limiters on the digital inputs. comparing the DA42 analogue out to the mic through the 788 digital in, i didn't notice any difference in noise floor between the two.
the thinking always was that the higher noise floor was a better trade off versus what the mic could do with ambient noise and room echo.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, pindrop said:

Are you saying the Mini DA42 increases the noise floor of the already quite high noise floor of the  S CMIT itself compared with the S CMIT connected directly to a AES42 digital recorder input?

Yes, that seems to be the case with the unit I have and a unit the reputable local rental place provides. All that, compared to the AES42 inputs of a 633 or 788T.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, pindrop said:

10dB digital gain

I operate the 633 with a lot more digital gain (mid 10 to mid 20ies dB) though It's rather annoying, as you need to do it within the channel interface and you can't assign a dedicated pot.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/9/2020 at 11:38 PM, DanieldH said:

I operate the 633 with a lot more digital gain (mid 10 to mid 20ies dB) though It's rather annoying, as you need to do it within the channel interface and you can't assign a dedicated pot.


Have you tried the dB boost within the SuperCMIT? Maybe that helps. You should also consider to send the DA42 to Schoeps for a check-up, it’s always possible it has developed an issue of some sort

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Constantin said:

Have you tried the dB boost within the SuperCMIT?

Yes, I prefer the 633 gaining though as a powercycle means opening the windscreen and processing the button sequence. 

With the DA42, it raises the noise floor with it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, DanieldH said:

Yes, I prefer the 633 gaining though as a powercycle means opening the windscreen and processing the button sequence. 

With the DA42, it raises the noise floor with it. 


OK, well in that case I think you should talk to Schoeps about it. They’ve really improved their turnaround times for their service department 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...