Building stereo breakout cable for A7iii?

Alfred Faber

Hiya gang. So I wanted to build a stereo breakout cable for my Sony A7iii, so that I could have 2 mono inputs on the stereo jack. I saw this cable: https://foundsound.com.au/products/10940

image.png

And tried to build it. my wiring was:

Tip female jack: Tip contact to tip contact on male minijack; ground to ground on male minijack. Ring contact empty.

Ring female jack: Ring contact to ring contact on male minijack; ground to ground on male minijack. Tip contact empty.

To combine the grounds of the two female jacks i just twisted the two shields together and soldered it onto the male minijack.

The ring input sounded fine, but the tip input was far quieter, with a lot of noise.

What did I do wrong? Did i wire it wrong? Any advice here?

Cheers, Alfie

Your results don't make sense. The wiring description is not clear. Let's use the terms red female and black female instead. If I have it right you connected the tip of the black female to the tip of the male. You connected the ring of the red female to the ring of the male. That's not right for mono inputs.

If the inputs are mono, there should not be a ring. There is only a tip and sleeve. Notice that the cable you reference says "TRS to Dual 3.5 mm TSF", meaning Tip Ring Sleeve (male) to Tip Sleeve Female.

If the source is truly a mono source, then it only has Tip and Sleeve. When you plug a TRS with a TS, the contacts don't match up. If it is a stereo source, and you are only using one channel, then what you did might be ok. What are the source inputs?

1 hour ago, Vincent R. said:

TRS = tip is left, ring is right, sleeve is "ground"
female TRS 1 = tip is left, sleeve is "ground"
female TRS 2 = tip is right, sleeve is "ground"

I think this is what I messed up!

My wiring was:

female TRS 1 = tip is left, sleeve is "ground"
female TRS 2 = ring is right, sleeve is "ground"

You're saying I should have wired both female TRS for tip?

Thanks for 

3 hours ago, Paul F said:

If the source is truly a mono source, then it only has Tip and Sleeve. When you plug a TRS with a TS, the contacts don't match up. If it is a stereo source, and you are only using one channel, then what you did might be ok. What are the source inputs?

The sources I was testing it with were my Ambient Nanolockit and just a signal from the headphone jack of my phone, so both TRS jacks.

What happens when you wire just one of the tip or ring from a stereo/balanced TRS signal?

2 hours ago, Alfred Faber said:

You're saying I should have wired both female TRS for tip?

yes, because that is typically the signal you want to pass over to the 2 channel input. Really, it is as simple as I wrote:

6 hours ago, Vincent R. said:

yes, because that is typically the signal you want to pass over to the 2 channel input. Really, it is as simple as I wrote:

This.

D.