Most popular mixers

indiefilm

I am finalizing my design for a head turning, extremely versatile location sound mixer cart I will be selling soon. Would like to know the 3-5 most popular mixer models and brands people are using so I can obtain their dimensions to make sure they will fit horizontally and how much vertical space they require. Any help much appreciated.

Mark Pope 

Stabilitech® 

Wellllllll... the three most popular mixer/recorders lately are likely the Zoom F8 (replaced by the F8n), Sound Devices 633 (replaced by the 833), and the MixPre6 (mk1, then mk2)?

But none of those I would presume to be the most popular on sound carts. 

But to answer your question a little more seriously, check out:
Sound Devices Scorpio / 688 / 888 / 970 / 788T
Zaxcom Nomad / Deva 24 
Aaton Cantar X3 & Mini 
Tascam HS-P82

On 9/15/2020 at 11:31 PM, indiefilm said:

I am finalizing my design for a head turning, extremely versatile location sound mixer cart I will be selling soon. Would like to know the 3-5 most popular mixer models and brands people are using so I can obtain their dimensions to make sure they will fit horizontally and how much vertical space they require. Any help much appreciated.

Mark Pope 

Stabilitech® 

PS Can someone tell me the purpose of the center hole in each RU on rack rail?

18 hours ago, Trey LaCroix said:

If you want to leave space (often for ventilation) in between units.

Looking at this drawing how would that work? How could you leave just part of a RU vacant for ventilation by utilizing the center hole? Not seeing it

image.png

On 9/17/2020 at 4:33 AM, sciproductions said:

If you're looking at mixers /mixing surfaces I'd say:

- Aaton Cantaress / Cantarem 2

- Sonosax SX-ST / ES64

- Sound Devices CL-16 / CL-12 / CL-9

Looks like those will all fit in a standard, 19” slide out shelf

2 hours ago, indiefilm said:

So what are we looking at here. Is the panel with the Lectrosonics in it less than 1.75” wide? If so, is it a custom made panel?

No, I assume that is a standard 1RU, but has been positioned one step down (that's what that hole is for you're asking about), presumably to help with cable routing (and/or airflow). 

It’s a standard 1U panel made by Soundbag Dashboards. The reason I mounted it one hole down was in fact  for the purpose of cable management. I actually wish the panel had either holes between the receiver mount slots, or some u-shaped slots at the top of it, for routing the RF cables to the back. I may go at it with a drill, but I currently don’t have a drill press....

That is strange, any time I’ve tried to do this (use the center holes) the holes never line up well enough to work, as they are only 1.15” apart rather than 1.25”. Is there more wiggle room in the Dashboard’s rack ears, or is there a technique to making gear fit like this?