Solice routing challenges

David Waelder

(Sorry to take up bandwidth with a new topic but I thought this request might get lost if I put it with my request for volunteers to test the Solice mixer.)

Proponents of digital mixing consoles like the Yamaha often cite the extraordinary flexibility of being able to quickly assign any input to any output and create sub-mixes and multiple feeds. The analog mixers couldn't really duplicate that without a bewildering array of switches.

But the newer film mixers, the Sonosax SX-ST and the Solice, are a response to evolving location needs and offer more extensive routing options than previous generations. My question, for the evaluation to be published in the 695 Quarterly, is whether these options are sufficient to the need.

Please consider some actual or plausible routing needs from your experience and post them here or send them to me at davidwae@earthlink.net. I want to be able to check if the Solice could be configured to handle whatever challenges are likely to come up and also be easily reset to a more conventional configuration as needed.

Let's keep the challenges reasonable. Not, the producer wants me to individually mike every spectator in Shea Stadium and provide separate mixes to fifty cameras. But some actual assignments may feel like that - send those on.

David