Sennheiser MKH 8050 or Schoeps Colette CMC 1 and MK 41

Alex Weinberg

I use both depending on the situation.

For fixed interviews, I'll use the Sennheiser that has more reach and a sound less  "flat".

When in movement and when several persons speaks at the same time, the Schoeps is more natural and forgiving if you are not spotted perfectly.

I'd say that if you have to choose only one, the Schoeps is more universal.

6 hours ago, henrimic said:

I use both depending on the situation.

For fixed interviews, I'll use the Sennheiser that has more reach and a sound less  "flat".

When in movement and when several persons speaks at the same time, the Schoeps is more natural and forgiving if you are not spotted perfectly.

I'd say that if you have to choose only one, the Schoeps is more universal.

This is exactly my experience. 

-Mike

19 hours ago, Trey LaCroix said:

I own the CMC141 and owned the 8050. The 8050 sounds great BUT it is a PITA on a boom IMO. Super low frequency response and awful wind noise on swings. For interviews this might not be a big deal though. The CMC141 is beautiful. I prefer it to the senn but only your ears will tell you what to get.

My exact same experience. The 8050 seemed to have a smiley face EQ, so I also didn't like the top end. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

After having a good experience with a rented 8050 for a sit-down interview in a quiet room, I rented it again for a boom/scripted situation, hoping it might be a Schoeps killer.

It was NOT a Schoeps killer. Mud, lots of HVAC, no presence.

Did not have a low-cut unit on it -- I suppose results could be different with that in place.

16 hours ago, KenLac said:

It was NOT a Schoeps killer. Mud, lots of HVAC, no presence.

Did not have a low-cut unit on it -- I suppose results could be different with that in place.

Not sure if a low-cut would help with a lack of presence...

In any case I don’t think there is a Schoeps killer. In my opinion there is nothing that comes close to their mics nor their company. Except perhaps the CMIT. The one Schoeps I am a little bit less excited by

23 hours ago, KenLac said:

After having a good experience with a rented 8050 for a sit-down interview in a quiet room, I rented it again for a boom/scripted situation, hoping it might be a Schoeps killer.

It was NOT a Schoeps killer. Mud, lots of HVAC, no presence....

IIRC, Glen Trew (and probably others) has said that the 8040 is closer to the MK41. I'm on Team Schoeps and they're what I own. But when wearing my producer hat, I've hired mixers who are on Team Sennheiser and the resulting tracks have been great. Though I think most commonly, those guys are rolling MKH50s for sit-downs.

I don't see how anybody can expect *any* mic to be a schoeps "killer"- I mean, how much better did you expect?

but the top of the line mics all sound very nice and a lot is down to intended use, environment, voice and taste.

I also don't quite understand how the 8050 can be described as "mud" or "no presence", it's one of the punchier sounding mics in my experience. Personally I find it problematic because of handling noise (which is why I prefer the MKH50), but lack of presence was never an issue.

6 hours ago, Jim Feeley said:

IIRC, Glen Trew (and probably others) has said that the 8040 is closer to the MK41. 

The MK41 capsule has a supercardioid pattern which is a tad wider than a hypercardioid (and has a bit less rear lobe). The MK41 pattern appears to be somewhat wider due to its uniformity, as that of most other directional microphones tends to become narrower at the higher frequencies. 

Here are some of Glen Trew's thoughts from several years ago; don't know if he still feels the same way (but he does and can of course chime in if needed). From an article on Trew Audio:

"Part of what made the Schoeps MK41 so desirable for film and video dialog recording was the “soft edge” when transitioning from on-axis to off-axis. The Sennheiser MKH50 goes from the on-axis sound to the off-axis sound more abruptly, resulting in a surprising off axis sound if it’s being worked by someone accustomed to the Schoeps MK41.

Anyway, the long and short of it is that, if you are wanting a Sennheiser alternative that behaves more like the Schoeps MK41, then the Sennheiser MKH40 – and now also the MKH8040 – is the way to go, in our opinion."

That's a quote from this article:

THE SENNHEISER MKH8000 SERIES

https://www.trewaudio.com/reviews/sennheiser-mkh8000-series/