TC arri mini

nevo

I’m on a shoot with a Arri mini and the TC is strange

Same setup as I’ve done hundreds of times

mozegear tig  jammed from 633. Timecode  match’s On 633 and mozegear....

When I plug into Mini the timecode is 9 hrs off.... Arri set to regen if I unplug mozegear from Arri the TC symbol goes orange.....

we have rebooted camera looked for any offsets in camera... the camera system clock is correct.

Ive tried different cables and tc Boxs but stumped now.

They can use waveform peaks for batch syncing but it would be good to get to the bottom of issue

Nevo

7 hours ago, IronFilm said:

What about the project rate?

Project rate 25 fps

1 hour ago, Johnny Karlsson said:

You are probably done by now, but have you tried switching between “Jam” and “Preset” in the menu?

I remember one of their firmware versions required that to take the jam.

Yep tried that

1 hour ago, Philip Perkins said:

One more thought: experiment with the output level of the TC going to the cam?

Yes went thru all output levels

it is receiving TC because when I disconnect the TC symbol flash’s orange

3 hours ago, osa said:

Also did you possibly try a dif tc box? With Mini’s I recall trying multiple manufacturers before finding one that sticks even when a particular one worked prior

I have used this TC box with this particular camera on a number of occasions and yes I tried different Tc source

• 4 weeks later...

i had something different happen with Arri mini twice already, i was using the Zaxcom RX200 (cause it had audio and TC in one), rate on it is 23.98 and the Arri had 23.976, so it did not sync up, my cables are good and checked that arri was receiving TC and on run time. i ended up using a synce box that had 23.976. i have checking here on old posts and found that 23.976 and 23.98 are the same but with the min Arri it just doesn't work  for some reason, anyone have this happen to them before? trying to find a solution or maybe im doing something wrong , i never had issue with any camera until recent and it been the Tc on that arri mini....dang!

Yes, that is a known thing with Arri.

Arri makes cameras that capture really good video, but their engineers decided to get "creative" with timecode and sync, and they designed the cameras to use the timecode as the sync signal (something timecode was never designed by SMPTE to do).  So, a timecode device may meet SMPTE specs, but not be great as a sync signal. 

Arri used Ambient timecode to develop and spec their cameras without undertaking to test them with other brands of timecode devices (source: Two Arri design engineers I spoke with at NAB a couple or so years back). 

As problems began to be widely reported with various timecode devices, Arri came out with firmware that addressed the issue. However, it still appears to be sporadic depending upon firmware version. 

I dealt with one Mini that took about five minutes to take a jam from a Denecke box -- the AC told me it was normal for that particular camera. The Mini LF I worked with last week preferred a JB1. I had an Amira that ran  fine with an RX200 in the morning but became cantankerous after lunch.

I've used RX200s without any issues on Sony, Canon, even Red, but with an Arri it can be a crap shoot, so I have other options ready such as a Denecke box with a fresh cable. If that doesn't work they can clap a slate or use camera audio to sync with. Time permitting, I always try to get timecode working, though.

I should add, I've done many gigs with Arri camera with no issues whatsoever, but the above incidents are to let Favio know that he is not alone, these issues have been widely reported. It seems that just when I think I've seen the last of Arri timecode issues they may crop up unexpectedly. I've heard from ACs that they've noticed it's very firmware dependent.

The past several months i have worked with Arri Amira, Mini and LF frequently. I use my SD664 as master TC then jam my Denecke Slate, Denecke SB-2's and/or Tentacle SyncE units, I find myself using the Tenacle SyncE's as my first choice anymore, and set the Arri camera to FREE RUN and REGEN not EXT for timecode. All of these devices play nice with each other. No problems. All of my gear reads 23.98 as the screen shots reveal.

You probanly know this but If you set the Arri TC to EXT you have to unplug then replug the tc cable in if the operator shoots high frame rate then switches back to 23.976. This is my experience anyway.

Once I plug the TC unit into the camera the camera's tc numbers flash, jam to my TC, flash for another 2 seconds, sometimes the camera picture goes black for 2 seconds (yes it is deriving sync from a Tenacle, lol) then I am good for the whole day.

1021202214_HDR_resize_12.jpg

Screenshot_2020-10-21-22-14-40_resize_8.jpg

Screenshot_2020-10-21-22-14-59_resize_42.jpg

I have received no complaints from the editors. No mismatch and no drift.

Not my experience.  If camera is setup correctly going in to high rate / slow mo makes no difference. Cameras stay in sync when normal frame rates are selected. 

18 hours ago, Favio said:

i had something different happen with Arri mini twice already, i was using the Zaxcom RX200 (cause it had audio and TC in one), rate on it is 23.98 and the Arri had 23.976, so it did not sync up, my cables are good and checked that arri was receiving TC and on run time. i ended up using a synce box that had 23.976. i have checking here on old posts and found that 23.976 and 23.98 are the same but with the min Arri it just doesn't work  for some reason, anyone have this happen to them before? trying to find a solution or maybe im doing something wrong , i never had issue with any camera until recent and it been the Tc on that arri mini....dang!

I gave up using Zaxcom on ARRI mini. Totally ARRIs fault. They don’t really care to correct the issue which only happens on the mini after the last firmware. They are too lazy to make a different update for the mini. 

34 minutes ago, RadoStefanov said:

Not my experience.  If camera is setup correctly going in to high rate / slow mo makes no difference. Cameras stay in sync when normal frame rates are selected. 

I gave up using Zaxcom on ARRI mini. Totally ARRIs fault. They don’t really care to correct the issue which only happens on the mini after the last firmware. They are too lazy to make a different update for the mini. 

I 2nd this, on mini’s I personally only use jb-1’s strapped to the back of a zaxcom receiver and that seems to (so far) work solid on every mini I come in contact with

Same experience with me, using ERX1TCD or 1st gen Tentacles. Problems on day 1, all fine from day two with no different settings. I usually try all the ARRI tc voodoo tricks I know: Regen/Jam, check project rate, plug/unplug, different output voltage on ERX... in the end it always worked but I am puzzled as to how I got it to work eventually.

good to know I'm not losing my mind, i never tried using my tentacle with the mini Arri, ill have to try next time, what did work was the Mozegear Qbit X2, it held TC for the day even though the project rate was switch for slow-mo a couple of times it stayed in sync when the normal frame rate was switched back.

35 minutes ago, Favio said:

good to know I'm not losing my mind, i never tried using my tentacle with the mini Arri, ill have to try next time, what did work was the Mozegear Qbit X2, it held TC for the day even though the project rate was switch for slow-mo a couple of times it stayed in sync when the normal frame rate was switched back.

the qbits worked for me as well previous, only upgraded recently as its nice to have visual feedback. But qbits are solid little boxes for these mini’s