Fall is tumbleweed time

LarryF

Very exciting news....

I really hope there is a plan to integrate  this with SD 8 series in a similar way to slot mount and SL2. 
(ie antenna distro, power interface etc...)
After all these years I may consider selling my 411s......

Although they are still so rock solid it would be hard to let them go.

4 hours ago, Mark said:

I really hope there is a plan to integrate  this with SD 8 series in a similar way to slot mount and SL2. 
(ie antenna distro, power interface etc...)

Yes, I was disappointed this wasn't Superslot. 

But if that USB power can be connected via a USB Hub to a Sound Devices 8 Series (and other recorders too? Aaton? Sonosax? Zaxcom....  ? ? ? Ha), so that you can get all that same integration like you can get with the SL2, that would be awesome!

55 minutes ago, Favio said:

very nice, just a question, what made you go back to the dual system rather then doing a 4ch receiver like most have done already.

I assume because of the balancing act of the compromises between size / performance / quality / etc, that Lectrosonics decided to emphasize other traits as more important than minimizing size to the max. 

5 hours ago, Mattias Larsen said:

Exciting! Glad there is an export version that covers C1 and Eu/American companders. Can you tune the two channels far apart, or is it limited like on the SRC?

In the presentation Karl says you can tune the two freqs wherever you want within the full tuning range. Nice. 

I gotta say, I am glad Lectro decided to buck the slot mount trend. (To be fair they started it) And all the integration? I could really care less. I mean how often are you adjusting the thing once it’s setup? Lectro excels at turn it on and go, non-fussy gear. If you like fussy gear there are plenty of options. I think it’s all a bit overrated at least at the expense of better core performance. I’d take the larger screen and human sized buttons of this thing to a smaller screen or a recorder based control panel that’s going to be buggy for the next 3 years. If you really need that you can setup wireless designer.

I’m really, really pleased to see a new piece of gear that is focused on performance and reliability rather than features and doodads.

Thanks Lectro. As Karl said in the video the 411 was designed almost 20 years ago but it’s still my favorite receiver to use. I think that says a lot.

Now all that’s left is a true digital successor to the SM. I can wait. 

I would take performance over slot mount any day. 
I would take better core performance over “Fussy gear features” any day.
I am not concerned that it is 2 channel and not 4..

i still run 411s as I feel they perform best and that works best for me.

Just hoping an accessory is made for rf, power and 8 series integration.

That is all.

Either way, if these being the 411 replacement, twice the channel count plus all new features and diversity system, I am fairly sure they will find their way into my bag.

For some time I begged Lectro to include AES with their products. And now they finally are! And now of course I switched to a Scorpio and now I really wish all these things had Dante! Like the 822 it would be brilliant to have a version with Dante i/o instead of the current analog/digital outputs. Especially once you start having more than two of these a Dante loop would be very helpful

14 hours ago, IronFilm said:

[snip]

I assume because of the balancing act of the compromises between size / performance / quality / etc, that Lectrosonics decided to emphasize other traits as more important than minimizing size to the max. 

Precisely. 

I'll try to be neutral here and not sound like a Lectro ad, though being the original fanatic, it's difficult.

One design goal was to make the DCR822 capable of standalone performance like the UCR411, i.e., battery operation. However, the Vector Diversity and four strong front ends, two for each receiver, required more power than for the single front end 411. In addition there is more power needed for digital processing, recording and AES operation. 

The choice of 4 AA's was made because of universal availability, good power density, customer cost, and reasonable but not fantastic operating time. The 411 had 7.2 Watt hours available from dual 9 Volt batteries (2 bats x 450 mAh x 8 Volt average). With premium rechargeable AA batteries, the 822 has 12 Watt hours available (4 bats x 2500 mAh x 1.2 Volts). Eveready lithiums have even more power capacity. The downside is that four AA's have a significant volume, making an SR housing impossible. Also, going with a larger housing allowed use of longer lasting button keys in place of the SR membrane switches. It also allowed room for a memory card for recording. There were other engineering choices that benefited from more room but these are the big ones.

Finally, the choice of the 411 form factor was serendipitous; good room, ease of building, recognizable shape and most importantly, the easy availability of many industry standard hardware accessories for mounting to cameras, battery boxes and racks.

So as Ironfilm said above:
"I assume because of the balancing act of the compromises between size / performance / quality / etc, that Lectrosonics decided to emphasize other traits as more important than minimizing size to the max."

Best Regards,
Larry Fisher

1 hour ago, LarryF said:

Finally, the choice of the 411 form factor was serendipitous; good room, ease of building, recognizable shape and most importantly, the easy availability of many industry standard hardware accessories for mounting to cameras, battery boxes and racks.

Is the new unit exactly the same dimensions as the 411?  If so, that's fantastic news for soundbag dashboard users etc. who are looking to upgrade.

Karl said in the presentation it’s the same form factor and should fit previous accessories. 

Maybe time to get my UMC200 upgraded to wideband. 

That said, the faceplate is different and looked sort of rounded and may not fit the dashboard squarely. 

Even if it doesn’t fit the old 411 accessories, who cares. Get updated ones. The cost of these is not that terrible and maybe someone even comes up with a nicer newer accessories. 
I also don’t much care for the slot-in form factor. Get one for a camera hop, but other than that what’s the big deal? Especially if you’re on a cart. These 822s will certainly be easier to remove from a cart and put into a bag than my Venue racks...

Completely agree. What’s the big deal with slot receivers? I think they just scratch some kind of plug-n-play itch that everyone has. Maybe it goes back to the satisfaction of inserting Nintendo cartridges.  (I fall squarely in that generation so it’s not meant as a dis. Maybe a little)

Looking for an interface for RF and audio between this and your recorder? They’re called cables!

I’m making fun but seriously over the years I’ve found the original 411 to be much more plug-n-play than the SR. Want to Velcro one to a powered speaker for a wireless vog or playback rig?  Two 9 volts, an xlr shorty and you’re there. No L-mount sled to hookup, batteries to charge or TA adapter cables. 

I see this has TA3s and SMA connectors too but nothing’s perfect I guess.

I think if you want Dante you just need to pony up for the D squared which seems positioned to be the venue killer. I recently watched my friend try to setup Dante for the first time and I gotta say it did not necessarily look any easier. Software updates were needed, a laptop came out. Good grief!

;)

7 hours ago, LarryF said:

It looks like a perfect tool for many workflows. I have a couple questions for Larry and Karl.

One-I'm guessing it is possible to use the USB for Wireless Designer connection, I would want to adapt to Ethernet on both ends for a longer run or rugged remote/stage box solution. I should know this, but is it possible to use USB and Network connections simultaneously in one "frame" in WD for a saved connection? i.e local usb on cart with networked remoted units?

Two- Any possibility of getting networked audio out of this box? I know it isn't a D2 box, but being able to have two or more of these boxes for remote receivers would be fantastic. Is the USB only for firmware and telemetry for now or future plans for that?

7 hours ago, LarryF said:

One design goal was to make the DCR822 capable of standalone performance like the UCR411, i.e., battery operation. However, the Vector Diversity and four strong front ends, two for each receiver, required more power than for the single front end 411. In addition there is more power needed for digital processing, recording and AES operation. 

So as Ironfilm said above:
"I assume because of the balancing act of the compromises between size / performance / quality / etc, that Lectrosonics decided to emphasize other traits as more important than minimizing size to the max."

Best Regards,
Larry Fisher

1 hour ago, jakeslaney said:

One-I'm guessing it is possible to use the USB for Wireless Designer connection, I would want to adapt to Ethernet on both ends for a longer run or rugged remote/stage box solution. I should know this, but is it possible to use USB and Network connections simultaneously in one "frame" in WD for a saved connection? i.e local usb on cart with networked remoted units?

You can send USB over Ethernet. Here is but one example of many:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/995482-REG/prudent_way_pwi_usb_oe_usb_extension_adapter.html/

There are even other products which you can run through a hub, but a bit more pricey:
http://www.icron.com/products/icron-brand/usb-extenders/lan/usb-2-0-ranger-2304ge-lan/

9 hours ago, Derek H said:

I think if you want Dante you just need to pony up for the D squared which seems positioned to be the venue killer. I recently watched my friend try to setup Dante for the first time and I gotta say it did not necessarily look any easier. Software updates were needed, a laptop came out. Good grief!

Yes, I do have a D2 receiver, but the 822 would be far more flexible and... cheaper per unit. Laptop only needs to come out once for setup and that's it. It is a bit daunting at first, but then it works fine. 

There are some simple solutions for network control to USB on an IP network - Global Cache makes some very cute, very small IP to serial, IP to USB adapters, IP to IR and IP to GPIO.  I use a couple in my church to put my Venue and other non-IP devices on the network - WD sees the old Venue just fine.  www.globalcache.com  It's DC powered gear, very small (small matchbox sized) - very reliable - the one on my Venue has been in operation for about 10 years now. 

15 hours ago, jakeslaney said:

Any possibility of getting networked audio out of this box? I know it isn't a D2 box, but being able to have two or more of these boxes for remote receivers would be fantastic. Is the USB only for firmware and telemetry for now or future plans for that?

RE - Networked audio  - not in the plan at this time - but Audinate makes some very simple, reasonable priced $145 dongles that would let you do this a lot less expensively than we could. 

https://www.audinate.com/products/devices/dante-avio?force=true

These could give you quite a bit of flexibility since they would be effective with any product.  A single adapter will handle a DCR822 very well - there are analog or AES versions.   RE the USB Port - We don't have any plans for piping Audio over the USB at this time, that would require a new board on the Audio side. 

On 10/3/2020 at 1:49 PM, Mattias Larsen said:

Exciting! Glad there is an export version that covers C1 and Eu/American companders. Can you tune the two channels far apart, or is it limited like on the SRC?

Hi Mattias, as was answered above, the two channels within the 822 can tune independently across the entire available band - the A1B1 version covers 144 MHz, and the B1C1 version covers 155 MHz. 

But, I'm curious about your comment on the SRc - it also has two independent channels that can tune across the entire band - in that case, an A1 band, B1, band, etc. Or, about 75 Mhz. 

16 hours ago, jakeslaney said:

I should know this, but is it possible to use USB and Network connections simultaneously in one "frame" in WD for a saved connection? i.e local usb on cart with networked remoted units?

Hi Jake, it's not possible for WD to have a single saved connection list where a unit (or "frame") has both USB and Network connections. However, it would be easy enough to build and save two connection lists, one with that unit as a USB connection, and one with as a network connection. 

-Karl

Constantin, each of the two receiver channels each has two front ends "linked" in Vector Diversity, which is like Ratio Diversity on steroids. But you can link the two sides in Frequency Diversity, for those "absolutely must not fail under any circumstances" situations - it requires two lavs, two transmitters, and two frequencies. Then the 822 becomes 1 receiver on 2 frequencies. 

6 hours ago, Gordonmoore1 said:

RE the USB Port - We don't have any plans for piping Audio over the USB at this time, that would require a new board on the Audio side. 

So no chance at all in taking timecode into the 822? Ah well, it was a nice pipe dream while it lasted. 

5 hours ago, karlw said:

But, I'm curious about your comment on the SRc - it also has two independent channels that can tune across the entire band - in that case, an A1 band, B1, band, etc. Or, about 75 Mhz. 

Interesting, I was using a 688 with SL6 and srcs this summer and the channels of the srcs had to be spaced quite tight to accept the frequency. I am curious to what that could have been then? If I remember correctly the 2nd channel of the SRCs had to be tuned within 12mhz of the first, or something in that line.

I dont have sra/b/c myself, only a 411, so my experience has only been a few times when renting or lending, so I could have missed something obvious.

Super happy with the 411/uh400a for the limited time I have been using it tho, it is truly amazing that something from 2004 can compete with brand new products and some even preferred it over the SR line must mean that it has defenitely earned its reputation. I hope that you manage to keep and build on that with this one. Curious to see how it compares in real life. 

But that's great to know about the SRC. I have 2 lectro tx units (digital hybrid) so far. One in blk 24 and one in 25. So I could in theory run them both from an src at the same in the right tuning range?