FInding Intermod-free frequencies between Sennheiser systems and Boya transmitter

Vincent Tartiere

Hello everyone, I have an issue I need more experienced input on!

I'm shooting on an unpaid short film for a couple days, and I'm miking up talent with G3 And G4 systems, A and G band.

Scripty brought along (for their own use) a cheap wireless system I'm not familiar with, a Boya by-wm8 pro-k1 kit. Issue I'm having is I can't find any frequencies on my systems or theirs that don't cause intermodulation, as their transmitter is sitting right in the middle of my frequency range. After switching out frequencies three times on both systems I had to resort to switching their transmitter off until I I came up with a solution.

My question is this then: having the frequnecy charts for my system and theirs, is there a practical or mathematical solution that could allow me to find frequencies on their system that don't interfere with mine at all?

Hi Vincent,

You can download Wireless Designer,

https://www.lectrosonics.com/Support/Wireless-Designer™/wireless-designer-2.html

and plug in the transmitter frequencies manually. Calculating by hand takes a lot of effort if you have more than a few frequencies. You need a scanning receiver to make the Wireless Designer find frequencies on its own, but at least plugging in trial frequencies in the program is faster than trying one physical wireless setup after another. Some other members may have experience with a simpler program.

Also: You may not have intermod; it could just be simple noise and interference from very "dirty" transmitters. It is suspicious that the G3's work when the other stuff is off. It is also suspicious that trying different frequencies has not given you acceptable results. You should have found something that works just by chance.

Best Regards,

Larry Fisher

On 9/25/2020 at 6:28 AM, Vincent Tartiere said:

Hello everyone, I have an issue I need more experienced input on!

I'm shooting on an unpaid short film for a couple days, and I'm miking up talent with G3 And G4 systems, A and G band.

Scripty brought along (for their own use) a cheap wireless system I'm not familiar with, a Boya by-wm8 pro-k1 kit. Issue I'm having is I can't find any frequencies on my systems or theirs that don't cause intermodulation, as their transmitter is sitting right in the middle of my frequency range. After switching out frequencies three times on both systems I had to resort to switching their transmitter off until I I came up with a solution.

My question is this then: having the frequnecy charts for my system and theirs, is there a practical or mathematical solution that could allow me to find frequencies on their system that don't interfere with mine at all?

FreqFinder should help you figure this out.

On 9/29/2020 at 11:46 PM, Jspeer said:

If I saw this I would have offered you another cheap wireless solution from Besancon that you could have borrowed. Hope it all went well.

I‘m sure using cheap wireless systems wasn’t a prerequisite for this shoot. More likely it was necessitated out of availability 

7 hours ago, Constantin said:

I‘m sure using cheap wireless systems wasn’t a prerequisite for this shoot. More likely it was necessitated out of availability 

I am sure, I was just saying that that there would have been another option if necessary, if I saw this post. Nothing more nothing less.