Sanken cos11 DIY cable replacement

foliver

Hello all.

i was thinking about to do a diy cable replacement in one of my Cos 11.

someone has try to do that?

I’ve seen some pictures of dismantled cos 11, but my main concern is if the lower part of the capsule ( under the rubber protection) has the solder points exposed.

any tip in the soldering process?

i know Wilcox repair them, but I want to try.

any advice on the cable type?

Any experience with Mogami W2901.

All comments about lavalier cable replacement is welcome.

Thanks!

Fabian 

3 hours ago, KISHOR CHAUHAN said:

Hey Foliver We Replace Cable of Sanken Cos 11D as well as DPA 4060.Cable is much  better than Mogami which we replace.It is Soft and Reliable wont become Harder.kindly Send Your Quories at info@soundtrackkservices.com.Thanks Looking forward for your Reply.

How much is a cable replacement for DPA?

• 4 months later...

Here is an old post that I saw on FB....  SANKAN? made in TAIWAN?

Do not try to cheat a great mic with changing just one letter, it is not legal that you're trying to do...

How about to replace original Cos11's came for repairing with SANKANs for 45$? 🧐

Sankan.jpg

Just now, nagnila said:

Here is an old post that I saw on FB....  SANKAN? made in TAIWAN?

Do not try to cheat a great mic with changing just one letter, it is not legal that you're trying to do...

How about to replace original Cos11's came for repairing with SANKANs for 45$? 🧐

Sankan.jpg

Cable renewing for a Lav Mic is a very specialized job and it's very risky.

The slightest damage to the diaphragm in a wrong application will cost much more than the cost of the repair to be made.

This operation cannot be made with every cable you find around you. You should have measured and known the values of the cable you will renew such as capacitance, inductance etc, and the new cable must match the properties of the old cable. Otherwise, you will encounter many problems such as noise, being affected by the magnetism emitted by equipment (such as ballast at close range) or changes in signal characteristic.

Many tests such as Frequency Response, S/N Ratio, Ground Lifting, RF Rejection etc. are required after each cable replacement and all these rational tests affect the repairing cost.

I've been changing many Cos11 cables every day since 4 years... and I can say that: the geniuses who say they will change your cable, don't even know what professional expertise means. Question the professional competence of anyone who claims to be able to repair a $400 microphone.

It's good to be innovative, but rationaliy and experience are even better...