JWSound group still the best place for honest discussion without manufacturer Bias censure

RadoStefanov

I have learned more about Production Sound from this site than I could ever convey. I so appreciated, and still appreciate, fifteen years of threads to go though about every conceivable topic from contributors who have a respect for the job and a respect for each other. I learned about the gear and more importantly I learned how to act. This is something that I never would have been able to do in Facebook where things come and go within a day or so.

Thank you Jeff for creating such a educational and fun place to discuss and learn. You truly have made a difference in our industry.

7 hours ago, RadoStefanov said:

Thanks Jeff,

There is no issue. I have nothing to resolve with him. I kept it private but was dragged in and personally insulted. 

I prefer to stay away from such people. 

Thank you for letting free flow of ideas on your great group!

Actually, there IS an issue if you started this topic with a hidden agenda (well maybe not so hidden anymore)  ---  I welcome, of course, the majority of the posts here that have praised the site, celebrated its longevity and usefulness for so many, and those who have re-affirmed that it isn't Facebook and that is a good thing. From now on, at least in this topic thread, let's keep the personal battles or disagreements out of here.

4 hours ago, Jeff Wexler said:

Actually, there IS an issue if you started this topic with a hidden agenda (well maybe not so hidden anymore)  ---  I welcome, of course, the majority of the posts here that have praised the site, celebrated its longevity and usefulness for so many, and those who have re-affirmed that it isn't Facebook and that is a good thing. From now on, at least in this topic thread, let's keep the personal battles or disagreements out of here.

Hear hear. Lets keep personal disagreements out of here like I intended. 

We all know Facebook has detrimental effects on people. We also know that Rado loves to be controversial and outspoken. Those two ingredients do not make a very tasty meal.  Rado you must remember your first year on this site?  Constantly being told to calm down and stop bragging about your $100,000 computer job.  I’m sorry you got banned from the group, but that’s no need to start bringing that crap back here.

This site is pure gold. One of the very few offerings on the Internet that is truly worthwhile and life-changing.

No like buttons, no badges, no site sponsored popularity contests.  Pure gold!

Jeff you have accomplished something truly special and personally touching with this forum.  Something almost no one can say these days. Thank you a million times over for the site!

Dan Izen

I am very happy a classic forum exists and it is reliable and full of an active userbase. Facebook is nice that everything is all in one place...but does a really poor job at organizing all of that information. I have seen many forum communities become hollow husks in todays era, and people keep "moving forward" to "better solutions" when they really just want a forum experience again. Thanks for sticking with it.

• 2 months later...

Facebook is a terrible company.  From anything ranging from invasive privacy policies to having a monopolistic domination of the advertising industry (which they abuse) to literally helping genocides happen overseas (Burma) to have helped violent, misinformation spread in groups alongside allowing targeted advertising to provoke those groups, including allowing advertises from overseas promote misinformation to try to shift elections to the cambridge analytica scandal to.... the list goes on and on and on and on.  By having an account on Facebook, Instagram or Whatsapp, you're financially empowering them to continue to allow all of these above things to continue on (and who knows what else in the future).

19 hours ago, codyman said:

Facebook is a terrible company.  From anything ranging from invasive privacy policies to having a monopolistic domination of the advertising industry (which they abuse) to literally helping genocides happen overseas (Burma) to have helped violent, misinformation spread in groups alongside allowing targeted advertising to provoke those groups, including allowing advertises from overseas promote misinformation to try to shift elections to the cambridge analytica scandal to.... the list goes on and on and on and on.  By having an account on Facebook, Instagram or Whatsapp, you're financially empowering them to continue to allow all of these above things to continue on (and who knows what else in the future).

I agree. And it's a shame that many companies are relying on Facebook for customer communication instead of setting their own systems. Of course it's cheaper.

It reminds me a bit of the situation with the Flash plugin. I always refused to install it because of critical security and privacy issues and sometimes visiting the websites of pro audio manufacturers without it was a real nightmare.

Of course Facebook is worse, their behavior seems to be outright criminal.