Deity Connect causes interference in other wireless systems

Matteo Best

Hello,

I was running a Deity connect system with one TX next to a rode link when I noticed constant dropouts (every 1-2 seconds) in the rode link system. It got better when I moved the receivers about a meter apart, but I still got the occasional dropout on the rode link, the deity system worked great tho. Thankfully I didn't have to use them together in a bag. I also got interference with a stationary Sennheiser wireless system with a handmic, which runs at 823 MHz. They were all plugged into a small soundcraft analog console. When I used the deity system with a zoom F4 today, I even got interference on a input with a condenser mic with a cable connected. Again, when I moved the Deity receiver even a half a meter away, or just turned it 45°, the interference vanished. But again, this would be probably be a problem in a sound bag.

I guess my question is, is this normal and is there anything that I can do about it? The deity system works great but seems to cause a lot of interference in other systems.

Kind Regards,

Matteo

Hi Matteo, try lowering the transmission power in the RX, mind you, this is JUST the transmission power for the remote control functionality (like changing gain, recording on/off if you use a HD-TX etc), which most likely you can turn all the way down to 10mw. 

That said, certain microphones are unfortunately not immune to RF, as wel as proper shielded cables are a must. 
Since the Connect system is "bidirectional by design", the Duo-RX is a transmitter as well, so you have to take that into account.

11 hours ago, Matteo Best said:

next to a rode link when I noticed constant dropouts (every 1-2 seconds) in the rode link system.

Be aware that the RodeLink is quite a bit inferior to the Deity, much less powerful, weaker design of the receiver, etc
Not too surprised when a RodeLink struggles!

And yes, Vincent likely nailed a workaround. As the receivers are also transmitters, and you don't want a receiver to be close to a transmitter, thus turning down the power on the Duo-RX could help. 

I wouldn't recommend at all to mix different digital wireless systems on ISM (Industrial, Scientific, Medic) bands.

Each one of them may implement completely different spectrum arbitration/management features. And if I recall

well, the Deity protocol might be somewhat of a bully, at least nudging (ahem!) WiFi networks to steer clear.

Besides the differences in power-transmission....Don't most 2.4 GHz systems float among a couple channels "Auto-Frequency Management"? 

Chances are they are constantly scanning, finding each other, and re-scanning, re-finding each other, and re-scanning.... Like two scared cats circling a house in the night. Not to mention all of the other wifi sources and 2.4GHz users on set. Therefore, Unless you can lock a channel permanently to your transmitter in a manual mode. I suggest staying away from using multiple manufactures.