Audio word search

osa

You could try one of the automated "AI" speech-to-text services. You can get transcripts back in minutes. Like, upload an hour of video, have the transcript back in 15 minutes (I haven't really timed it carefully, but let's say 4X faster than realtime). I do this a fair amount when wearing my producer/journalist hat.

The service right for you depends on your workflow, budget, and need for accuracy. Lots of the services are pretty decent right now, but proper names can be a challenge, though it's not like 10 years ago when I was working on a film about Sophie Tucker and the automated transcription tech we tried transcribed her name as "soviet trucker." Cracked me up, but wasn't helpful for searches... Anyway:

I'm hanging with Transcriptive these days, but that's just me and my current work:

https://transcriptive.com

Temi is good. And you can get up to 45min transcribed for free as a trial:

https://www.temi.com

Also check out Rev and Trint; I haven't used their automated versions, but people I know are happy with them:

https://trint.com

https://www.rev.com/automated-transcription

I know that's a lot of links. But quick looks at the websites will help you figure out which service is worth a shot. Or send a file to a couple and choose what works for you. And let me know what you end up doing. I'm always up for feedback on this topic... The tech is changing quickly.

Thanks Jim, on the basis of your post, I got Transcriptive to work inside Premiere Pro.

I had previously used Dragon but it was only 50-60% acurate.

Transcriptive works as advertised and is indeed over 95% accurate, even for the non-US language we use in Australia!

Thanks again.

I've been using Descript for the podcast productions I've been doing. It uses google's transcription engine and creates a transcript that is directly tied to an audio timeline – so doing a paper edit does a decent job of editing the audio file as well. I would export it to ProTools to clean up the edits and do post processing and mixing, but it saved me a significant amount of time doing the first pass of the edits. 

• 1 month later...
On 10/16/2020 at 10:29 PM, Shastapete said:

I've been using Descript for the podcast productions I've been doing. It uses google's transcription engine and creates a transcript that is directly tied to an audio timeline – so doing a paper edit does a decent job of editing the audio file as well. I would export it to ProTools to clean up the edits and do post processing and mixing, but it saved me a significant amount of time doing the first pass of the edits. 

Descript looks really interesting!

Are there any audio search tools for finding 'quiet', atmos's or room tones within files or even folders?

16 hours ago, daniel said:

Are there any audio search tools for finding 'quiet', atmos's or room tones within files or even folders?

I would think any half decent DAW would have a 'find silence' routine...

But, I already have the code to do so. (Toy with my Transcriber app, you can set it to 'jump over silence'.)
Now, I could make something that lets you select files / folders, select channel(s), set a threshold, minimum silence/low level duration and it will do a fine job.
BUT, I have no clue what would be a decent way of returning the found data.
I could add XMP to the files, no clue if ProTools accepts that.
Or, markers / cue points old style to Wave?
CSV?
It's definitely not rocket science, just making the interface / export found values would take some time.

On 11/27/2020 at 12:23 PM, daniel said:

Descript looks really interesting!

No, there's a "remove silence" but for most people's workflows searching for silence isn't something that is needed or wanted. I get why it could be useful – but that's certainly not a need of the regular users of this app.