Don Coufal windscreens

foliver

Hello all.

I was reading here, about Don Coufal, mostly Jeff Wexler comments.

I'm very curious about his windsceens, how they looked, as Jeff said they was very transparent.

If someone knows any Don Coufal anecdotes, i'll be glad to hear them.

If any has pictures of his windscreens, or comments, welcome!

Thanks

Fabian

9 hours ago, foliver said:

Hello all.

I was reading here, about Don Coufal, mostly Jeff Wexler comments.

I'm very curious about his windsceens, how they looked, as Jeff said they was very transparent.

If someone knows any Don Coufal anecdotes, i'll be glad to hear them.

If any has pictures of his windscreens, or comments, welcome!

Thanks

Fabian

Don made a few windscreens and shockmounts over the years as we were pretty much the first to use Schoeps mics here in the US. The general feeling amongst most sound teams at that time was that the Schoeps mic was a music microphone not suitable for production film sound. So, there  were no windscreens available to properly utilize the Schoeps particularly for exterior work. While working in France, we went to a sound equipment place in Paris, AudioVisual I believe, and saw the first Cinela mounts. As Cinela developed their mounts and the windscreens, we never felt the need to build our own anymore and we went all in on Cinela.

Hi, Thanks for your replies Vincent and Jeff, no, i was not thinking about cinela.

I was thinking at one comment you made some time ago Jeff:

here:

"I feel, mainly from listening over the last month with each, that the LEO has a more natural sound and matches the microphone with only a foam screen."

I'm glad you finally said that --- I would have been very surprised if you felt that the Rycote Ball Gag sounded the same as the Cinela. The beauty of the Cinela windscreens, for me, has been the minimal affect on how the microphone sounds in the windscreens. I have not found any other windscreen (other than the ones that Don Coufal has built over the years) where the microphone sounds the same in and out of the windscreen.

So the phrase: "(other than the ones that Don Coufal has built over the years)" let me very curious about these, and i would like to see some pictures if someone has a unit...