Breaking into the business... How can I get my feet wet?

Alex T

Hey guys, Newbie here. I am a non pro that got into sound because a friend wasn’t technical at all. I work I’m IT, so love anything technical/electrical and jumped at the opportunity to learn/do something new. Fast forward almost a year later, and I have a modest little sound kit and am hooked! So here’s my question. How would I go about getting some real world experience and maybe actually making a few $$$ in the process? I have zero set/pro experience and am dying to get my feet wet. Any suggestions will be much appreciated!!!

Sunny Southern Ca is the mecca for professional sound work. Given the current conditions most people on this board are likely struggling for work, I don't think the mood would be over-zealously helpful toward a newcomer. The people on this board have invested many tens of thousands of dollars in production sound equipment and need work. This is the big boy forum. So don't expect too much in the way of open arms.  But hey, everyone started somewhere. Maybe someone will offer you a chance to be on a set to see what it is all about.

Before you work, you have to know what you are talking about or rather, what those you are working for are talking about. First, read the archived posts on this board. Get familiar with the terms people use here, what equipment they are talking about and why they are talking about it.  Look at the gallery of carts. Find out what that's about. Read up on the different types of microphones, when to use which type. Read up on wireless (Zaxcom, Lectrosonics, Wisycom, Sennheiser, Deity). No, your not going to use Zaxcom or Lectrosonics or Wisycom. You can't afford it and it would be stupid to spend that kind of money. But Lectrosonics, Zaxcom, and Wisycom are what the pros use and you should become familiar with them and why they are worth the money. Starting out, you'll be using Sennheiser and Deity. If you are using anything cheaper than that, throw it away and start over.

Forget paying jobs. You're not ready with either equipment nor experience. The best thing to do is help amateur film makers make films. Work on no-budget films. There are plenty of those out there. Go seek out no budget film makers in your area and have fun and learn. Make connections, learn jargon, get comfortable on set, start to master your equipment, become confident with your abilities, deliver a quality product. While you're doing that, learn about:

Timecode, frame rates, drop frame, non-drop frame, the way to sync timecode to the 20 most popular cameras and what cable is needed, wireless legal operating frequencies, what rf power levels are legal for licensed and unlicensed operators, when to use wireless and when to use cable, when to use lavs, plant mics, booms, cardioid, super cardioid, shotgun, omni, how to hid a lav without it making noise, how to talk to actors, how to work with the other departments, how not to piss off anyone on set, set etiquette, how to use the walkie talkie,  how to boom (this is an art all it's own) , smart slates, dumb slates, camera hops, gain staging, power distribution, batteries, antennas, rf distribution, limiters benefits and limitations, proper recording levels, making a sound report, what is a good take or a bad take for sound, what to listen for, recording outdoors vs indoors, the relationship between the sound department and the camera department and the costume department, bag vs cart, tool kit, spares, ursa straps, moleskin, Rycote stickies, overcovers, and two dozen other bits that should be in your hide-the-mic kit, IFBs, talkback, what kit is required for run and gun, documentary, interview, narrative, commercial, corporate, and ... well, read some books.

Thanks for the reply. I am not so new that I don’t know the basics or equipment. I have invested in some pretty good equipment and have learned everything there is to know about it. I’m not here to take jobs away from the pros, just want to learn and get real experience. I would even volunteer if it got me experience and familiarity with the procedures/practices etc. I am very sensitive to tenure and $$$ spent to purchase the tools needed for this craft. Anyway, I know it’s everyone for themselves especially now, but  more reason to pay it forward.

6 minutes ago, ATaps said:

I’m not here to take jobs away from the pros, just want to learn and get real experience. I would even volunteer if it got me experience and familiarity with the procedures/practices etc.

I'd say those two sentences contradict one another. Ok, I'm picking on you. Here's your chance. This is the place that has the big time pros. Tell them your story. Tell them where you live. Maybe one of them will be nice enough to do a meet and greet with you. That would be a start.

They totally did.  But then again if my volunteering and helping a pro, so that I can pickup knowledge and gain experience be a bad thing? I’m sure ya’ll get sick of loading your carts in and out of vehicles or miking talent, cleaning equipment or whatever. I know dues need to be paid and I am by no means expecting/wanting to be put in the game without putting in the work. Appreciate your time!

4 minutes ago, ATaps said:

I’m sure ya’ll get sick of loading your carts in and out of vehicles or miking talent, cleaning equipment or whatever.

C'mon now. You are showing your ignorance. They don't get sick of doing that. They hire a utility person to do that. It's a paid position. It requires experience to be a good utility. Mic'ing talent is a skill requiring a lot of experience (for narrative)  using those two dozen bits of kit I mentioned.   Read the forum archives. You don't even know who does what, but you want someone to drag you along to slow them down.  For homework tonight .... read, read, read.

I made a suggestion and you ignored it. We don't even know your name. Not a good start.

I am not being ‘ignorant’. I don’t know what specific jobs each person on set does as I have never been on a set, so maybe unfamiliar is a better term. I read your advice and appreciate the feedback. I will continue building my knowledge based on your suggestions 

8 hours ago, Alex T said:

I am not being ‘ignorant’. I don’t know what specific jobs each person on set does ...

That is the exact definition of ignorance. https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=ignorance

There is nothing wrong with being ignorant. It's not a bad word. We are all ignorant about many things. I relish recognizing my ignorance on topics so that I can fill in blanks in my body of knowledge.

Side advice: Don't get defensive. It looks bad. Never let them see you sweat. In your attempt to defend yourself against the word ignorant, you showed your ignorance. It would have been better to ignore my comment and get on with the discussion.

Why did I use the word ignorant? I wanted to see what you're made of. This conversation could be an interview in front of the best professionals in the business. Make a good impression and perhaps one of them will be gracious enough to meet with you; open doors for you. This is absolutely one of the best opportunities you have to get started. You're getting wrapped up in defending yourself and forgetting that this is a great opportunity to get in contact with the best of the best. You're going to form an impression here of "Oh that Alex T seems to be a nice guy, I'll give him a chance" or "I don't like Alex T's attitude. Forget it".

Now let's start over. Ignore me. Let's forget this whole dialog. You're standing in front of the best of the best. People would go to great lengths to have a chance to spend time with these pros. Go ....

Perhaps a good place to start is a good read. Jay Rose's book is an excellent resource.

https://www.amazon.ca/Producing-Great-Sound-Film-Video/dp/0415722071

Starts with sound principles, microphones, all the way through to post. If you're on a budget, check your local library. They had it at mine.

I'm sure there are many more books that could be helpful to you.

13 hours ago, Alex T said:

some pretty good equipment and have learned everything there is to know about it.

this may be true, but it’s nonetheless a dangerous assumption. Even if you really do know everything about your equipment you also need to able to apply that knowledge when 40 pairs of eyes are staring at you and the sun is setting, and they need the shot right now, with sound...

Agree. All the recording I have done this far is in front on 6 people tops. It also has been a budget free shoot, so def no pressure. I can only imagine the pressure when someone else’s dime is paying for everything. Def nerve wracking just thinking about it. Also I’m sure my basic understanding of how to operate my equipment is just the tip of the iceberg. I should have said “I have learned enough about my equipment, to be able to make basic recordings that don’t sound too bad” 😁 Appreciate the feedback! 

25 minutes ago, Constantin said:

you also need to able to apply that knowledge when 40 pairs of eyes are staring at you and the sun is setting, and they need the shot right now, with sound...

Oh, boy. Been there. Mainly on multi-camera scripted reality shows.

Alex, I did a series of "wireless side chats" earlier in the year to cover some of the most important concepts in wireless microphone use, including spectrum basics, band planning, frequency coordination, etc. so hopefully the series is useful to you for your background study: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLwnOnolFSN5K2-2QZOwzVq-0ZFYgoPXDH

Knowledge of these fundamentals can really help get you out of a jam when the pressure is mounting, but even before that, you can head off a number of problems before they happen in the first place. 

And, have a plan B, and a plan C for EVERYTHING. Bring backup batteries, units, cables, memory cards, lav mics, etc. 

On 11/1/2020 at 9:16 AM, Dalton Patterson said:

We tend to eat our own around here Alex. Most disrespectful or hurtful comment's come from a place of respect and wanting to help. I like to think of it like Bee's protecting the honey that they love. If you get stung once or twice, don't give up. 

Dalton I hear ya! It’s all good and I will keep asking dumb questions and learning. Appreciate the feedback!