Oktava MK 012-01 Bill Sitler repair

osa

I am unfamiliar with these microphones but recently I was given one by a friend. I gave it a quick listen and it had some inherent noise interference inside of the mic itself as the capsule seem to be OK duplicating the same problem. I sent it to Bill Setler for repair as well as his premium upgrade that he offers. He Detected the problem and ended up replacing the solder board itself for what I would call a very modest repair fee. I think he even did the repair in the very same day he received it and it’s already on its way back to me. Curious if anyone here is actively using this microphone these days at any capacity, and possibly had the upgrade. I quickly learned this microphone has been around a while and discussed hear back through ramps. Even though I am handy with a soldering iron I decided against the repair myself and rather just pay someone who knows their stuff about this particular mic. I most likely will be using it as a plant mic here and there or part of a studio microphone kit.

I reviewed one years ago. The sample I was sent was a true Russian Okatava set (there were/are evidently a lot of Chinese knock-offs around at the time). I found it to have nice sound but it was extremely microphonic and incredibly susceptible to handling noise. It's the only Okatava I have ever used so I don't know if my experience was atypical. Personally, it was too impractical for me to get excited about but on a mic stand, it was usable but for boom mounted, it wasn't a good choice.

I bought a 'hand-picked' Oktava 012 set from 'The Sound Room' about 10 or so years ago, the 'stock' mics sound very good.. warm..  though I prefer a higher sensitivity and extra attention is needed for the well known handling and air turbulence susceptibility, There is much info online about the Okatvas and the so called 'Dorcey' mods. Both Bill Sitler and Michael Joly do sales repairs and mods.  Mike Joly allegedly ceased repair operations last year.

The MC012 is a pretty great value for the $, esp if you can buy used.  I find it the sound very similar to the Schoeps sound, like maybe 3/4ths of a Schoeps mojo.  They kind of suck for boom work--as was said: way too microphonic, but for music work they've done quite well for me as the mics that get deployed after I run out of the name brand mics.  Like Schoeps, they sound pretty good on anything.  There have been lots of mods floated and various conspiracy theories about Russian vs Chinese knockoffs.    To me, the former is "lily-gilding": if you want a better mic then buy it, don't try to mod a Corolla into a Ferrari.  For the latter, all that knock-off business is in the distant past, and turned out to include collusion between the Russian and Chinese makers anyway (are you surprised?).   For MC012s of that period the truth was that the Chinese mics sounded as good as the Russian ones, and they all had serious consistency and "Friday-mic" issues.  The current MC012s are much more consistent but are also much more expensive than they used to be.

This is all great info. I have been reading a lot of history. I didnt think mine was a knockoff when i received it but even better bill was able to confirm it is not.  For me personally the price I paid plus the sentimental value coming from a good friend - to do the upgrades was well worth it to have hopefully a good quality Microphone now. But not a front line worker that’s for sure.   Not intended to be used on a handheld boom if ever. This one came in a wooden cigar box with 10 DB pad and cardioid, supercardiod and Omni capsules. 

I  have used the 012 indoors with an Invison-7 mount and a cheap foam windscreen, with no problems, forget about exteriors though. I use mine mainly for drum overheads these days, since I have a MKH50 and an AT 4053  The China knock-off was originally for Guitar Center stores, and allegedly did not sound bad, and more consistent build/sound quality than the Russian OEM, which was a gamble..  very good, to very bad, the reason I purchased from 'The Sound Room'.

I have a pair that Sitler modified, and another pair that are stock.   The mod cleared up the top end, but somewhat to the detriment of the low end. I will pick one or the other type depending on what I'm after.  In comparison a KM184 is better balanced across the full spectrum, having the good bass presence of the stock Oktava and the good treble of the modified.  

The HPF barrel is useless in my opinion, it raises the noise floor far too much for most work.   Related to that, I still haven't seen anyone say they've tried the updated UP-012 preamp, which puts pad and HPF on body switches, possibly a totally different improved design.  Been out for years too.  

They are definitely the most microphonic mic type I own, just try holding one in your hand as still as possible and listen to it!